Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wondering if any INFJs here have gained mastery of their opposite function, Ne. I personally believe that Ne can provide leverage to many "scales." Sometimes we INFJs become so deep in our ideas that we find ourselves stuck in the terms of superficial possibility. This is why I immensely enjoy the company of Ne users; they pull my sophisticated body ideas from the mutable mass my imagination and explode it with electric spurts of possibilities. And behold: It’s alive. It’s alive! IT’S ALIVE! Raw Creativity and Meaning complement each other in the development of almost any circumstance. My own experiences in the venture of Ne usage have proved to me that that using Ne is deeply gratifying, sometimes hilariously euphoric, experience. I really get it for all you ENTPs and ENFPs. Sometimes, through excessive my Ne gains so much bulk that Ni has to compete for dominance; at these times, it is a close call, and I think I could interchangeably type myself as either INFJ or ENTP. In these short spurts where Ni and Ne work harmoniously, instead of competitively, I feel that I can command any situation simply twisting my will in ways that escaped me before and now seem only too obvious. This influence turns somewhat disturbing when I consider that it could, most easily, fall into crafting masterful manipulation. Thankfully, that is something that only really troubled INFJs would resort to. Has anybody had similar situations with the cooperation of Ni and Ne? If you have command of this power on regular basis what tips can you share about balancing the influence of each opposite function?

·
Registered
402 Posts
"Through excessive my Ne gains so much bulk that Ni has to compete for dominance. In these short spurts where Ni and Ne work harmoniously, instead of competitively, I feel that I can command any situation simply twisting my will in ways that escaped me before and now seem only too obvious. This influence turns somewhat disturbing when I consider that it could, most easily, fall into crafting masterful manipulation. "

- - Yes, I experience such a similar thing. Ne is my second or third used function. It seems that I make up my own characters with Ni, but I like to keep a main character that frequently uses a perfected form of Ne..
Do you feel that one function feels more natural than the other?

·
Banned
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Ni seems more fluent and natural; I feel deeply like myself when I let this function run free with its pespectives of the world. Plus I feel more grounded in the purposefulness of Ni; however, Ne is undoubtly more thrilling when interacting with people or thinking up crazy ideas! I hope there is a way to intergrate both functions into one. That would be a great perspective.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yes. I think Ne is an important function to develop, especially when dealing with other people, working on group projects, achieving mass consensus, etc etc.

Ne, while tedious at times, and while it often proves itself unnecessary in the end when I discover that my Ni was right all along, is still a function that I try to use and develop often.

I think, as an INFJ writer, that if I learned to rely on Ne more often, I might find it easier to actually finish some of the many novels I have started...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yes, Ni seems more fluent and natural; I feel deeply like myself when I let this function run free with its pespectives of the world. Plus I feel more grounded in the purposefulness of Ni; however, Ne is undoubtly more thrilling when interacting with people or thinking up crazy ideas! I hope there is a way to intergrate both functions into one. That would be a great perspective.
This is how I feel too. Ne feels like it's been almost put upon myself.. but then again
I just do not get the feeling that I do when I see things with Ni.. but I still feel some sort of positive emotion when I make such ideas... but lacks that abyssal quality? maybe.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Ne can sometimes drive me nuts because the possibility are endless with this function. One idea drives it to another, and to another and to another{...}, until a person tells that person to shut up and focus. Ne is a good function to brainstorm and to gather ideas that could potentially help to advance in your goals, however there needs to be closure otherwise it will look like the Energizer bunny "it keeps going and going and going"

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sometimes, through excessive my Ne gains so much bulk that Ni has to compete for dominance; at these times, it is a close call, and I think I could interchangeably type myself as either INFJ or ENTP.
This happens with me as well in exciting brainstorming situations where I feel comfortable with the people present, except that in my case I feel like I could be typed as an ENFP. Suddenly a rush of ideas comes streaming out and I can verbally jump from connection to connection in what really is a thrilling experience.
Yes, Ni certainly feels so much more natural and while I am having these Ne moments my brain shouts "What is going on?!?!" But it is fun nevertheless. :laughing:

·
Banned
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is how I feel too. Ne feels like it's been almost put upon myself.. but then again
I just do not get the feeling that I do when I see things with Ni.. but I still feel some sort of positive emotion when I make such ideas... but lacks that abyssal quality? maybe.
Abyssal quality... Yes, I believe that captures the quality of thoughts laced with Ni. Ni is like an inward spiral, which arives at the depth of truth, while Ne cares little about existing truth. This is why I have a hard time surrendering myself completely to Ne; I dont want to ge lost in its electric tangents and diverge from the path of meaning and truth.
Perhaps, it is possible to contain the Ne brainstorming into the donward spiral of Ni, instead of away from it... I dont even know if that makes sense outside my head.

·
Banned
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This happens with me as well in exciting brainstorming situations where I feel comfortable with the people present, except that in my case I feel like I could be typed as an ENFP. Suddenly a rush of ideas comes streaming out and I can verbally jump from connection to connection in what really is a thrilling experience.
Yes, Ni certainly feels so much more natural and while I am having these Ne moments my brain shouts "What is going on?!?!" But it is fun nevertheless. :laughing:
You must have a great command of your Fi finction as well. I feel more like an ENTP because I tend to use my Ti function quite often; it has become part of my identity, in respect of how I view life. Yeah, Ne seems impossible for me to control; I am just there for the ride. Then again, I dont think that ENTP's or ENFP's have control over Ne either... I mean Ni sometimes just goes on tangents and I forget to check my surroundings, but I feel that overall, I am in charge of my Ni and not visa versa. Ne users seem just so random that it hardly seems like they are behind the wheel when it comes to their Ne impulses. Or it could just be my perspective as an outsider...

·
Banned
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes. I think Ne is an important function to develop, especially when dealing with other people, working on group projects, achieving mass consensus, etc etc.

Ne, while tedious at times, and while it often proves itself unnecessary in the end when I discover that my Ni was right all along, is still a function that I try to use and develop often.

I think, as an INFJ writer, that if I learned to rely on Ne more often, I might find it easier to actually finish some of the many novels I have started...
I would think that Ne would just prolong the process because it would multiply the plot threats and make it harder to find closure on your desicion. Unless, you are suffering from writers block and then I could completely understand the feeling. Using my Se refreshes my imagination, since I come back to Ni with a new perspective.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ne seems impossible for me to control; I am just there for the ride. Then again, I dont think that ENTP's or ENFP's have control over Ne either... I mean Ni sometimes just goes on tangents and I forget to check my surroundings, but I feel that overall, I am in charge of my Ni and not visa versa. Ne users seem just so random that it hardly seems like they are behind the wheel when it comes to their Ne impulses. Or it could just be my perspective as an outsider...
This is an excellent observation. I agree that I do feel in charge of my Ni most of the time, even if I am not actually conscious of using it. Ne does seem a little impossible to control, but maybe it manifests differently as a dominant function. I think that initially, ENTPs and ENFPs have control over their Ne and the connections they are drawing, but as their ideas gain more momentum, that is when they start to seem wildly excited and maybe they are not as "in control" as they were to begin with. That is probably why Ne users tend to be very impulsive.

·
Banned
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is an excellent observation. I agree that I do feel in charge of my Ni most of the time, even if I am not actually conscious of using it. Ne does seem a little impossible to control, but maybe it manifests differently as a dominant function. I think that initially, ENTPs and ENFPs have control over their Ne and the connections they are drawing, but as their ideas gain more momentum, that is when they start to seem wildly excited and maybe they are not as "in control" as they were to begin with. That is probably why Ne users tend to be very impulsive.
This is how I see it, as well.

·
Banned
359 Posts

You have very good understanding of ENTP and ENFP dominant function.
I can confirm that for you. Ne is quite crazy, random and spontaneous. Best part is it can pull you out of the worst situations.Its like a rush of excitement. Going crazy over something. But in a good way.
About controlling Ne, i dont know it can be controlled or not, but why would you like to control it. ENTP generally set their Ne impulses free and actually be driven by it. I dont see there's any need to be *in Control* because Ne doesnt seem to take you in any wrong direction or make you do something that you should not do.

and You're right about Ne users tend to be very impulsive and this might be the reason, ENTP's are so impulsive and least likely to follow routines. And very high on Perceiving traits.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You have very good understanding of ENTP and ENFP dominant function.
I can confirm that for you. Ne is quite crazy, random and spontaneous. Best part is it can pull you out of the worst situations.Its like a rush of excitement. Going crazy over something. But in a good way.
About controlling Ne, i dont know it can be controlled or not, but why would you like to control it. ENTP generally set their Ne impulses free and actually be driven by it. I dont see there's any need to be *in Control* because Ne doesnt seem to take you in any wrong direction or make you do something that you should not do. QUOTE]

Thank you. I find Ne to be a fun and fascinating trait; not to mention that some of the most inspiring people in my life seem to possess this function. :happy:
I think you are right- there really is no need to be "in control" of Ne- I just find that in the moments where I seem to be able to access it, it feels very whacky and out of control for me, as if I'm not exactly aware of what is happening. It is certainly more natural for the dominant users.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts