Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I both enjoy and hate having such a strong extroverted intuitive sense.

I love my Ne because it allows for wide ranging and spontaneous creativity. I can create complex webs of thought, think waaay outside the box, and I can twist ideas and see new perspectives that others can miss.
I especially love it because it facilitates my sense of the absurd.

Now the negative: I can make huge intuitive leaps based on such limited data. I can make assumptions about others' behaviour - for the very most part towards me - on such little evidence as a glance or a misplaced word. And usually (ok, basically all the time) it is a negative assumption. It drives me up the wall now that I know I'm doing it. I can conciously stop myself from placing too much emphasis on a particular set of actions, but it's extremely difficult if it gets tangled up in my emotions.

As much as I enjoy it, the scales are tipping towards the negative for me. I can see how it has feed my low self-esteem and has made me even more anxious around people.

How has Ne affected your life?

I originally posted this on the INFP board, but I decided that it was probably even more pertinent for you guys (given your function order and the behaviour of the ENFPs I know)

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
*i just noticed you aren't an ENFP but ill post it anyway for you, or others, to read anway.

yeah i totally understand what you mean, and i'm sure all ENFPs experience this at some point.

my theory on it is that people tend to tackle the problem in the wrong way- people tend to say to themselves "ok don't be self conscious, of course these people don't have a negative opinion of you, why would they?", and this makes sense to do, except that it keeps making you think about how you are out of place somehow, and how to be inconscpicuous.

the answer is to tackle it indirectly- ENFPs get 90% of their self esteem, energy and happiness (at least if you're anything like me) through social interaction, and talking. push yourself to be around people, have a couple of drinks and talk talk talk. talk about anything, even if you think it's boring, talk about people you've met, places you've been, even the weather. don't think about what people think of you, think your MISSION is to talk as much as possible, to say as much as possible without being offensive. gradually you'll feel much more positive, which might seem strange- how does just talking improve your whole self image? but it does. even if it's difficult at first and you come off as a waffler, keep going.
:proud:

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Extroverted Intuition...For the most part, I take pride in being a dominant extroverted intuitor.
Yeah, it can make you an extremely paranoid individual, but beyond that, it has so much awesomeness seeping through its very existence!

Having extroverted intuition as a dominant function means that I'm unusually broad in my interests and whatnot. Unfortunately, it's hard to stick to one thing. I'm intensely curious about just about everything in the world. My dream is to travel the world. I'm always looking for something new to experience or learn. And it can, at times, make me seem like a child as a I stare in wonderment at certain things.

I constantly drift off into extremely weird day dreams and then bring myself back wondering what the fuck I was thinking about because it's so off-the-wall! Just say one word, and I could be off for about 5 minutes. Therefore it might be hard to focus on things such as schoolwork or lectures. Maybe it's just my ADD, I dunno :/

But ENPs are idea people. I pride myself on that as I have so much confidence in my abilities to problem-solve, improvise, and figure out how to get things done my own way. That's another thing, extroverted intuition can lead to an extremely original and creative person.

It also means that I'm pretty much a pro at thinking outside the box, naturally. I've always thought that I just had an extremely weird imagination, but I've learned to love it as it's not something that everyone has. I usually see things in completely different ways than those around me. I think that's why ENPs are sometimes labeled as eccentric.

Having extroverted intuition means that I come up with so many possibilities for what comes next and patiently wait to see what happens. That's where the positivity comes from.
Having extroverted intuition makes me adept at putting things together to find their true nature or to find a pattern that leads to something new. That's why I love coming up with theories for different things. It can lead me to see many things that others don't.

It leads me to have the desire to try different things out in the hopes of finding something new. It leads me to see unique ways in which things can be fixed or done.

But paranoid tendencies mixed with thinking outside of the box sometimes brings me to wonder if I'm not just insane lmfao!
I still haven't confirmed otherwise, so watch out for me!!

I'm sorry, I love my Ne :proud:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Extroverted Intuition...For the most part, I take pride in being a dominant extroverted intuitor. Yeah, it can make you an extremely paranoid individual, but beyond that, it has so much awesomeness seeping through its very existence! Having extroverted intuition as a dominant function means that I'm unusually broad in my interests and whatnot. Unfortunately, it's hard to stick to one thing. I'm intensely curious about just about everything in the world. My dream is to travel the world. I'm always looking for something new to experience or learn. And it can, at times, make me seem like a child as a I stare in wonderment at certain things. I constantly drift off into extremely weird day dreams and then bring myself back wondering what the fuck I was thinking about because it's so off-the-wall! Just say one word, and I could be off for about 5 minutes. Therefore it might be hard to focus on things such as schoolwork or lectures. Maybe it's just my ADD, I dunno :/But ENPs are idea people. I pride myself on that as I have so much confidence in my abilities to problem-solve, improvise, and figure out how to get things done my own way. That's another thing, extroverted intuition can lead to an extremely original and creative person. It also means that I'm pretty much a pro at thinking outside the box, naturally. I've always thought that I just had an extremely weird imagination, but I've learned to love it as it's not something that everyone has. I usually see things in completely different ways than those around me. I think that's why ENPs are sometimes labeled as eccentric. Having extroverted intuition means that I come up with so many possibilities for what comes next and patiently wait to see what happens. That's where the positivity comes from. Having extroverted intuition makes me adept at putting things together to find their true nature or to find a pattern that leads to something new. That's why I love coming up with theories for different things. It can lead me to see many things that others don't. It leads me to have the desire to try different things out in the hopes of finding something new. It leads me to see unique ways in which things can be fixed or done. But paranoid tendencies mixed with thinking outside of the box sometimes brings me to wonder if I'm not just insane lmfao! I still haven't confirmed otherwise, so watch out for me!!I'm sorry, I love my Ne :proud:
I love and hate it for the same reasons!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I both enjoy and hate having such a strong extroverted intuitive sense.

I love my Ne because it allows for wide ranging and spontaneous creativity. I can create complex webs of thought, think waaay outside the box, and I can twist ideas and see new perspectives that others can miss.
I especially love it because it facilitates my sense of the absurd.

Now the negative: I can make huge intuitive leaps based on such limited data. I can make assumptions about others' behaviour - for the very most part towards me - on such little evidence as a glance or a misplaced word. And usually (ok, basically all the time) it is a negative assumption. It drives me up the wall now that I know I'm doing it. I can conciously stop myself from placing too much emphasis on a particular set of actions, but it's extremely difficult if it gets tangled up in my emotions.

As much as I enjoy it, the scales are tipping towards the negative for me. I can see how it has feed my low self-esteem and has made me even more anxious around people.

How has Ne affected your life?

I originally posted this on the INFP board, but I decided that it was probably even more pertinent for you guys (given your function order and the behaviour of the ENFPs I know)
As a child, I was very self conscious. I knew on an intuitive level that my thought process and imagination was odd to other people and I as very defensive and insecure.

But @Tridentus is right. The best solution (at least for an extrovert) is to allow yourself to talk openly about what's on your mind. I think you'd be surprised-- most people aren't nearly as judgmental as you think. In fact, you'd be surprised at who appreciates it. I can get on these streams of thought and I think, "oh geez, I sound completely nuts." or "nobody is following me here." or "I'm getting too much attention and I don't know if it's positive" (that's the worst one). But you'll have people (the right people) come out of the woodwork and mention how funny you are or how they wish they were as openly quirky as you or (even better) they'll feel comfortable to share their own intuitive stream of consciousness with you!

I'm ALWAYS surprised when someone compliments me on this trait. I always think I'm kind of an idiot, and then someone will come out of the blue and say "You know what? You're funny. Don't change that because you're a girl/ embarrassed/ etc."

So what I do, is make a conscious effort to not care about what the rest of them think.

Because I'm hilarious. :kitteh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts