·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Yeah

Reactions: electricky

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
I would think not in that way explicitly.

It would be more like people tend to mistake feelings with intuition. Or aren't able to properly dismantle an intuition from an evaluation. For example someone says "I have a bad feeling about this." That could mean any number of things. it could literally be a sensation, as in a bad feeling, or an emotional reaction (which probably has an antecedent cause that we might want to identify), or an intuition - a hunch. A lot of times the language we use doesn't really allow us to make these distinctions and so other words have to be proxies for things for which there are no words. So we use words like gut-feeling when we mean intuition and so forth.

Fe deals with evaluation. Whether or not we like or dislike something. Or find something pleasing or displeasing. That is conceptually different than intuition which is more like trying to figure out what's going underneath the surface. It's tough though because there is often a lot of overlap here (again where language is just ill-equipped to help us properly define what's happening). Someone may have a bad feeling because of an intuition and the two processes run concurrently and end up feeling like the same thing. The negative intuition elicits the negative evaluation. A good example is timeliness. Knowing when the right time to, say, break bad news is. That's both a function of feeling (appropriateness) but also intuition (having a sixth sense about how the receiver of bad news is likely to take it).

So it is quite possible that feeling and intuition (or sensation and thinking) for that matter can be mixed up in the context of how we articulate these things through language, and by extension how we think about them in our minds. But they are all conceptually different and philosophically complementary components. You have to look past the language if someone says "I don't like the sound of that." That's not necessarily a statement with regard to auditory information (sensation) but likely an intuition. It's precisely because the language in this area is so convoluted that I would be careful not to say stuff like Ne = Fe and all this kind of stuff because you'd have to really do some digging to figure out what was really going on.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I would think not in that way explicitly.

It would be more like people tend to mistake feelings with intuition. Or aren't able to properly dismantle an intuition from an evaluation. For example someone says "I have a bad feeling about this." That could mean any number of things. it could literally be a sensation, as in a bad feeling, or an emotional reaction (which probably has an antecedent cause that we might want to identify), or an intuition - a hunch. A lot of times the language we use doesn't really allow us to make these distinctions and so other words have to be proxies for things for which there are no words. So we use words like gut-feeling when we mean intuition and so forth.
YES!

I've had to pin down this whole distinction between "feeling" and emotion" in me for precisely this reason. For me: Feeling = perception of something going on (and just to complicate things, info perceived by introverted intuition in me often shows up as "gut feeling" akin to a tuning fork vibration). Emotion, however, is not perception of what's going on. And then to make it more complicated, both of these things use similar body pathways/nerves/chemicals whatever that is. That said, I experience a lot more feeling than emotion and emotion confuses me sometimes if I mistake it for feeling.

We really need better language! I mean, even that ^^ paragraph ... WTF. Grasping for accurate language and falling very very short.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I've heard of this because Ne sees "potential."

Meaning, for example, I see a person as a piece of shit, and an ENFP sees them as someone to be "helped" or "guided."

Okay to be less cynical, the ENTP sees lightening and sees potential to conduct an experiment for man-made electricity.

So Ne doms can concern themselves with developing people as well as ideas, "the flower pregnant in the bud" or some such.

This can annoy the crap out of people, just like Fe. Combined with Fe, it can be a Ji doms goddamned nightmare, like "LEAVE ME ALONE OMG."

So I think that's why there's confusion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.