Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on this? Do you find it to be true of the Ne doms in your life? In what ways? Please, share your thoughts :)

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Yes...For me personally, it's when I'm under extreme emotional stress. I think that's because I tend to internalize it.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
I know of a Ne user who under stress fell victim to inferior Si. The stress came from a combination of his Ne-inspired improvisations failing/being discouraged and unrelenting pressure to do things he did not feel comfortable with from outside sources. To deal with all the turmoil, he fell into doing repetitive tasks that felt good and allowed his brain respite from dwelling on his sources of stress. These things included mindless sexual pleasure, excessive sleep, and eating large amounts of his favorite food.

The sad part is this: enjoying these indulgences took his focus away from actually getting to the root of his problems and taking care of them.

He is ENTP.

Reactions: counterintuitive

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I know of a Ne user who under stress fell victim to inferior Si. The stress came from a combination of his Ne-inspired improvisations failing/being discouraged and unrelenting pressure to do things he did not feel comfortable with from outside sources. To deal with all the turmoil, he fell into doing repetitive tasks that felt good and allowed his brain respite from dwelling on his sources of stress. These things included mindless sexual pleasure, excessive sleep, and eating large amounts of his favorite food.

The sad part is this: enjoying these indulgences took his focus away from actually getting to the root of his problems and taking care of them.

He is ENTP.
There is one upside to this method, assuming they fully intend to get out of it. It does provide a temporary relief to do so, so that later you can actually fight whatever issue it is head on. But doing it for too long or forever isn't a good thing. It's the same as any other defence mechanism, it's natural to use them, but if you do too long, it's a problem.

·
Registered
451 Posts
@KuRoMi

Agreed. Once I understood why they do it, I've actually come to think of it as their own unique way of hibernating. Just got too make sure they don't sleep for too long.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
What does displaying the negative sides of Si look like?
Ugly. I can't express it well enough to explain exactly how it looks, although i know when Si pokes its ugly head in when i'm under an extreme amount of stress, it isn't nice, i feel like i become a monster. Sorry i can't explain it better than that, its not easy to express in depth an introverted function that clearly makes me angry, i don't quite understand it myself, although i know when its there, when its making me a crazy women ;) Doesn't happen often, although every now and again is way too much.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Ugly. I can't express it well enough to explain exactly how it looks, although i know when Si pokes its ugly head in when i'm under an extreme amount of stress, it isn't nice, i feel like i become a monster. Sorry i can't explain it better than that, its not easy to express in depth an introverted function that clearly makes me angry, i don't quite understand it myself, although i know when its there, when its making me a crazy women ;) Doesn't happen often, although every now and again is way too much.
Are there any actions associated with it? Like, would it look like anything was amiss to an observer?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
instinctively begins to experience the terrible emotional state Si has associated with whatever negative experience, and panic and dread take over, forcing the subject to escape this situation at all costs, for fear of being forced into that state again. Fool me once, shame on you--fool me twice, shame on me.

Pay very close attention to possible contaminants which could taint the purity of their physical bodies in the environment around them.
Took this from an INFP excerpt, but yeah I could imagine ways in which it could be harmful for Ne-doms. If a Ne-dominant looks at everything with Ne and then they feel a negative form of Si start approaching they could end up feelings very scared, angry or erratic. If at first all they saw were positive possibilities and now they are seeing negative realities or negative things from the past which stifle them well I imagine that wouldn't feel great.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Are there any actions associated with it? Like, would it look like anything was amiss to an observer?
It makse me anxious, paranoid. No, i don't think anyone would notice, i'm not sure though. For me my thoughts become mumbled, i don't trust my natural instincts. My Ne goes completely out the window. It's really hard to explain, because so much is honestly happening internally, although it effects my actions externally. I would say anxious, paranoid and jumpy, scared, maybe even angry. It feels like my chest gets tight, it feels bad, wrong, and makes me feel and do ugly things.

Reactions: pneumoceptor

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
Some of the examples seem more related to warped Se than Si. I think it's really hard to pinpoint where various functions intersect with stress and generally maladaptive processing. I don't think you can isolate it in that sort of way. Or it's only part of the picture.

I don't think I have a firm grip on what Si is since it's so lacking for me. But I sense that perhaps it's a clear construct of things as experienced, i.e., a thing meets some criteria that is most closely related to already established criteria for something similar in the network of criteria and baskets. I tend to disregard this sort of inkling (and that's really all it is for me most times), but if I'm stressed, I can start to just toss things in baskets without the precision a Si dom or aux would have and see too much as meeting negative criteria when it's more my mood that's clouding it.

I wouldn't doubt if I'm all off on Si though. I'm just doing backwards thinking so it's what I don't know or do well.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Some of the examples seem more related to warped Se than Si. I think it's really hard to pinpoint where various functions intersect with stress and generally maladaptive processing. I don't think you can isolate it in that sort of way. Or it's only part of the picture.

I don't think I have a firm grip on what Si is since it's so lacking for me. But I sense that perhaps it's a clear construct of things as experienced, i.e., a thing meets some criteria that is most closely related to already established criteria for something similar in the network of criteria and baskets. I tend to disregard this sort of inkling (and that's really all it is for me most times), but if I'm stressed, I can start to just toss things in baskets without precision like a Si dom or aux would and see too much as meeting negative criteria when it's more my mood that's clouding it.

I wouldn't doubt if I'm all off on Si though. I'm just doing backwards thinking so it's what I don't know or do well.
Have you ever had an Si moment ? What i described for myself is not Se warped, and unless you have experienced an Si moment, then you can't say whether this is more Se than Si, unless you have experienced Se in order to compare. Maybe you have, maybe you use Se. True , its hard to pinpoint exactly the process that is taking place, because its hard to find the words to really express what is happening internally. I don't know how Se works honestly, so i have to believe when i'm going thought this really negative phase that becomes this overwhelming, it has to be Si.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Took this from an INFP excerpt, but yeah I could imagine ways in which it could be harmful for Ne-doms. If a Ne-dominant looks at everything with Ne and then they feel a negative form of Si start approaching they could end up feelings very scared, angry or erratic. If at first all they saw were positive possibilities and now they are seeing negative realities or negative things from the past which stifle them well I imagine that wouldn't feel great.
Wow, thanks for that. I'd say that sums it up perfectly, especially:

"instinctively begins to experience the terrible emotional state Si has associated with whatever negative experience, and panic and dread take over, forcing the subject to escape this situation at all costs, for fear of being forced into that state again."

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
Have you ever had an Si moment ? What i described for myself is not Se warped, and unless you have experienced an Si moment, then you can't say whether this is more Se than Si, unless you have experienced Se in order to compare. Maybe you have. True , its hard to pinpoint exactly the process that is taking place, because its hard to find the words to really express what is happening internally. I don't know how Se works honestly, so i have to believe when i'm going thought this really negative phase that becomes this overwhelming, it has to be Si.
I wrote that before you wrote that last post (I get up and do other stuff sometimes to think for a second) and it wasn't in reference to anything you had said at all. But I totally agree with how you defined that Si moment. That's more how it feels to me than the Se indulgences other posts were talking about. Though I relate to those as well on some levels, it just didn't seem like negative Si manifestations.

But I do feel like Se is more familiar to me since I can go into that mode with sports and dancing or yoga. I honestly love those activities because I feel more in the moment and it's relaxing.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I wrote that before you wrote that last post (I get up and do other stuff sometimes to think for a second) and it wasn't in reference to anything you had said at all. But I totally agree with how you defined that Si moment. That's more how it feels to me than the Se indulgences other posts were talking about. Though I relate to those as well on some levels, it just didn't seem like negative Si manifestations.

But I do feel like Se is more familiar to me since I can go into that mode with sports and dancing or yoga. I honestly love those activities because I feel more in the moment and it's relaxing.
If i experience Se, which i don't really understand too well, i think it makes me happy, not anxious. The only example of Se i can think of is maybe when i'm out in nature, i enjoy my surroundings. It leaves me with a peaceful feeling, nothing that is negative. Si is a complete bitch, it turns me into something i don't recognize , because i don't know how to deal with trying to process something in the moment that i can somehow relate with in the past. I know this makes no sense, i can't explain it, i think one has to experience it in order to relate. I don't wish that on anyone, especially if they go through the turmoil i do . It feels like " hey, i know you're already under an extreme amount of stress, so here i am, i come to add to your misery."

Reactions: Kintsugi

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
If i experience Se, which i don't really understand too well, i think it makes me happy, not anxious. The only example of Se i can think of is maybe when i'm out in nature, i enjoy my surroundings. It leaves me with a peaceful feeling, nothing that is negative. Si is a complete bitch, it turns me into something i don't recognize , because i don't know how to deal with trying to process something in the moment that i can somehow relate with in the past. I know this makes no sense, i can't explain it, i think one has to experience it in order to relate. I don't wish that on anyone, especially if they go through the turmoil i do . It feels like " hey, i know you're already under an extreme amount of stress, so here i am, i come to add to your misery."
Yeah, being in a nature setting is another example of being in comfortable Se mode for me.

I think we maybe have some decent use of Si if we're in a good place. It's not like a strong Si user by any means. It really gets ugly when we're stressed and we feel the need to shut doors immediately. It's contrary to our nature and makes us some crabby mtf*****s on top of the stress.

It usually passes though.

Reactions: MuChApArAdOx

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Yeah, being in a nature setting is another example of being in comfortable Se mode for me.

I think we maybe have some decent use of Si if we're in a good place. It's not like a strong Si user by any means. It really gets ugly when we're stressed and we feel the need to shut doors immediately. It's contrary to our nature and makes us some crabby mtf*****s on top of the stress.

It usually passes though.
I'm sure i must be using Si in a good way subconsciously. I don't have a grip on happy Si, because i don't realize when using it. I can only identify it when its negative, which is a shame really because i would love to give positive examples of Si, for me personally. Si in my mind isn't natural, because my mind is programmed to be constantly moving forward. It feels like going backwards like you said, and that is so unnatural its no wonder it's so draining. I'm not someone who is under lots of stress often, so thankfully Si isn't something i experience often.

Reactions: shedreamt

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
I would imagine it as the antithesis of possibilities, but again because that's my perspective as a Ne dom. It may seem completely different to the Si dom. I imagine it in my head something like this (on a positive day)

Ne: It's really great how funny and forthcoming X is.

Si: I guess so, I don't know.

Ne: What do you mean? Do you know something I don't know?

Si: I'd just be wary is all.

Ne: Well, I think he's a nice guy (but wonders what Si knows).

later...

Ne: That guy was a dick. I can't believe I bought into that. (A period of self-doubt sets in with heavy handed negative Si)

or alternately Si: I guess that guy wasn't such a dick afterall. (Ne is reinforced).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts