Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to request Ne doms or Aux users explain their experience with Ne. I have found that the reading material on the subject has failed to explain this function to my liking and I'd like more subjective examples.

I don't mind how examples are presented, but I'd like a mix of concrete and abstract examples, if possible.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@brightflashes, I assume this was inspired by the "How do Ni-dominants think explained for Ne dominants" thread. I've loved that thread. It's been really helpful for trying to hone in my understanding of how Ni-users themselves conceive of their Ni. As I recall, you wrote some pretty insightful things on that thread.

So, I hope this is helpful, and thanks for posting this thread. I feel like Ne isn't understood very well sometimes. I think peoples' idea of it is sometimes like... Pe in general. "Random" is a word that is often used when people try to come up with a description of Ne-users. I feel like ENFPs because of this idea of Ne are kind of understood as like Pe! + vague ideas of Feeling... you kinda end up with a silly and fun random person who is super enthusiastic.

Ne is all about trying to take in all the possibilities that lie outside of yourself. What possibilities the objective situation or thing or what have you hold in store.

Jung used the example of every situation feeling liked a locked room the Ne-user must open. But in a very short time, the existing situation gets boring - all the possibilities have been explored - and the same room that was once exciting becomes a prison. Jung said the Ne-dom is someone who is attuned to nascent possibilities... possibilities "what ifs" just glimmering on the horizon, just coming into existence. That's what the Ne-user strives for. It's a push against stagnancy.

It's very similar to Se. The Se-dom wants to experience everything. The Ne-user is chasing possibility, chasing after everything that is perceived to have potential. Some people say Intuition has something to do with a perception of Time. I feel like that might be more applicable to Ni than Ne. As for me, when I am perceiving potential, wondering about things - I am not thinking about what actually is and where something is actually going or trying to predict any of that - I am thinking about what could be. What if...

(Actually... maybe this is part of why AU fanfiction is my fav genre of it?)

Really, I conceive of my Ne as a locked door. The wondering what is behind the door - when the door is closed - that is the most exciting part. The wondering in and of itself. Once the door has been opened and there's nothing left to wonder about, I'll want to stumble upon another locked door to wonder about. I do this with everything.

For me, I'll be wandering around a city and it will be exciting. I'll feel like I'm surrounded by so many difference ideas and people. I love to soak it up. And people are the most exciting thing aspect for me. People are mysteries. A locked door. Every single one. And I love to wonder about them and their lives. I'll see someone on the streets and I wonder about where they came from and about their future. It's full of so much. I'll feel the weigh of it. Every person is full of worth, and I'll feel it looking into their eyes. That probably is very Fi-coloured.

I actually had a post about ENFP once, and it's one I really relate to. Especially the Ne. And in it holds a lot of what I understand of Ne. It's coloured by Fi some, but it is very much my own subjective experience of it. So I'll put it here, if that's okay. Even if it is Ne+Fi, perhaps it will be helpful.

It's gotta be someone curious. Curious about ideas just glimmering on the horizon. Can be swept away from possibilities. There's not a lot of getting behind Causes so much as ideas. Think of John Lennon's "Imagine". Paired with Fi, you have someone who feels the weight of these possibilities/ideas and kinda... falls in love with them. Inspired. You might just drop everything to pursue it or wonder about for a while, if only for a moment... Till there's nothing left to wonder about.

I think ENFPs can come off as naive or unrealistic, and I think this is because instead of looking to solve stuff externally, they're solving something more felt that is subjective with their Fi and solving it with potentials. "Imagine if... it was this way..." With no real way of realizing that vision yet, no tangible or logistic way of making it happen - just completely swept away with the idea of it all.

External way of solving homelessness -> housing programs, people getting work, food banks, giving people free food, job opportunities, etc

Ne+Fi way of solving homelessness -> What if... I let people into my home? I could let someone stay there... what if it became a place where people who don't have homes could feel welcome? A place where people could swap stories. I could listen to their stories, help them feel heard. What if I gave them a guitar or let them play the piano, give them a chance to create something beautiful... Gave them a chance to know what home feels like, someplace welcoming, someplace they can bring their hurts and brokenness... What if... everyone did that?

The above is actually a dream of mine and I fully intend on being able to do this someday. This idea came even though I have no house, no way of making it happen. Nor do I know how to make it happen. People hear this dream sometimes and point out the logistical problems with that. Like, "You're letting a complete stranger into your house. To sleep there," sorts of things. Still, I love the idea of it, and I can't keep myself from wondering about it and envisioning it.

With Amanda Palmer it was being swept away with the idea of giving people a ukulele and how that could change everything. With Ariel it was being swept away with the idea of the human world - that she knew near nothing about, but fell in love with anyways. With John Lennon it was imagining a world with no boundaries, no possessions, just everyone sharing everything with each other.

When I think of an example of a Ne-dom who moved and traveled around a lot, I think of Woody Guthrie. He loved his wife, but couldn't stay for anything - had to travel. He'd travel around and was given the nickname the Dust Bowl Troubadour. He traveled - not for the novelty of traveling per se. He traveled the country with a guitar, met people, saw the pain written in their faces and... wrote songs, envisioning a world where "this land is made for you and me".

But never solving it with external measures, just traveling around for what seemed to be the idea of it all.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Really like this topic.
Here goes mine!

For me, Ne has always been an insane consumer and an optimist
It's as basic as: It sees possibilities. And it sees ALL of them, independent of logic. It's also limitless and psychopathic (by that, I mean, NO emotion is attached, no values, no identity, no logic, no foresight (NO FORESIGHT. You Ni peeps have the upper hand on that IMO) that's stuff is seriously added by the J-functions).
3 Examples:

1-When I see a car passing by on the road, there's no way on earth it's just a car on the road.
I don't care where it came from, I don't really care for where it's going. It's colors, design, speed and sound are all tools that can be used for something else idealistically or satisfy another view I've been developing in my head.
I unavoidably see all sorts of things around it. I see a guy trying to jump over the car while it's in motion. I see a helicopter going after the car since it's in a police chase. The tires become inflamed and the driver is 300 million different people. This can happen anywhere from a millisecond, at first glance, or it may take 30 minutes if I see that the possibilities come near to reality.

2-You know that guy from the latest MIB movie? The alien that was able to observe every alternate reality and timeline? He was able to stand in front of an empty baseball stadium and witness what in another timeline was a historical game event. He was my favorite character from that movie, I thought it was genius, and it really touched me because that's kinda how I observe most things. No, not in different, hypothetically true realities, but rather what-if's.
Keep in mind, this is a right-brain thing, so such things as language and intelligible identification of objects or subjects are out of the question. My mind never tells itself "What if?" literally. Things aren't given names at all and no words are used since that would be a GIANT waste of time. Only when I need to organize my thoughts do I talk to myself. So I talk to myself only about 16 hours a day. I actually don't really like it when people interrupt me. It's not a big issue. But it may feel like receiving a hug when I'm covered in sweat. Just a bit uncomfortable.

3-An INFJ on youtube was giving an example to describe how our minds identify objects automatically. He said how, when you look at a cup on your table, your head goes "CUP". You know what it's for, you know what you use it for, you know what you have used it for, and you know what will happen to it. It's a cup. It's been given a name and a value. Pretty straight forward.
NOPE! I was not able to relate. I don't do that at all. That's had to be taught to me. There's a time and place for everything, there's a reason for most things and a value as well, but I understand barely understand that now and keep on learning it since it's really not natural for me to grasp that concept (this is more of an NeTi thing more than an NeFi thing if I'm not wrong).
But no, man. Why would I restrain ANY object as a "CUP"? Liquid isn't the only thing that fits in it! I could use it as a weapon. I could use it to store legos (I have done that before, I have used lego cups because I had too many and not enough storage. Cups are TOTALLY not unique to this).
Unrestrained possibilities and potentials. Anything can be anything for anyone.
I see people the same way. Everyone is like a character for a movie regardless of race, weigh, facial features, etc (as long as it fits the role).

You can probably see where this is useful with your Ni. You can also see how this can spell disaster in many different scenarios.
That reminds me, Ne think mostly about what effects can be brought upon the exterior world. Not so much the interior. So I can think about how something I do can affect others, my body, my house, etc. But I fail to see how the world may kill me some times.
I theorize this is one of the reasons so many teenagers can't comprehend risk. EXXP's are always the ones who fail to see how we can get hurt doing something. But I have met many teenagers who are far more responsible with the well being of everyone and themselves than I am or will ever be. Buncha J-types.
That's if we are talking about Ne alone.
It's a really commanding perception. I personally like to be in charge of my ship when Ne is fired up. This, in harmony with what I said before, doesn't mean I don't like to take orders or that a literal boss will make me feel I have no power over something. I don't even have to be the director. If I can see a way to fulfill the idea, it doesn't matter who I am, where I am, where you are. All it matters is that it will get done. The stress will come (many times subconsciously and out of my ability to reason) when Ne isn't giving birth to anything.

(You know what the hardest part of typing all this was? Choosing what example to give you. I had too many, all scattered, all over the place)

·
Registered
130 Posts
To compare Ne to something physical I'd compare it to deep-diving on the internet. Everytime you click on link there are millions of more links to click, so you keep clicking until 4 hours later you're thirsty, hungry and you're on a site for Japanese tickle fetishes when all you wanted to do was look up a recipe for dinner.

In essence Ne pulls up hundreds of associations and potentials that you can follow/pursue. This is typically tempered by the judgement axis, hence why most Ne users don't just sit and contemplate potentials until they starve to death.

Honestly though it's a lot less fun and exciting than the poster above makes it seem. Sometimes I just want my brain to stop thinking and bouncing from idea to idea. I want off Ne's wild ride.

A little aside, Ne-Si can make for some conversations as I can associate current events with past events really quickly and then present the funny association. But most people don't get it because they already forgot the past event or they didn't associate it to the present one as quickly as me. Nothing kills the mood more than explaining a joke.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Jewl - I really like the locked door analogy. I'm naturally curious, so I can see how a locked door can feed that generative urge of Ne. Also, that thread did play a role in my decision to make this thread.

@ANAXEL - Wow. That sounds really overwhelming and the way my INTP partner thinks and acts when he's tired/sick. Good examples, though it's pretty hard to identify with it at all.

@Verizzles - I appreciate your linking Ne and Si together because, for me, it's much easier to understand functions in how they relate to each other on the axis.

- - - - - - - - - -

According to John Beebe, for Ni doms, Ne is the opposing function.
Similarly, for Ne doms, Ni is the opposing function.

This can be interpreted in a number of ways, especially considering one's relationship with the archetype "opposing". For me, Ne doms sort of tire me out and seem to go against a lot of what I suggest in problem-solving situations. Have any of the Ne doms here felt a similar way about Ni doms?

·
Registered
130 Posts
@Jewl - I really like the locked door analogy. I'm naturally curious, so I can see how a locked door can feed that generative urge of Ne. Also, that thread did play a role in my decision to make this thread.

@ANAXEL - Wow. That sounds really overwhelming and the way my INTP partner thinks and acts when he's tired/sick. Good examples, though it's pretty hard to identify with it at all.

@Verizzles - I appreciate your linking Ne and Si together because, for me, it's much easier to understand functions in how they relate to each other on the axis.

- - - - - - - - - -

This can be interpreted in a number of ways, especially considering one's relationship with the archetype "opposing". For me, Ne doms sort of tire me out and seem to go against a lot of what I suggest in problem-solving situations. Have any of the Ne doms here felt a similar way about Ni doms?
Ni doms can frustrate me in debates sometimes. I don't think through the implications of my ideas as much as an Ni Dom does and I don't realize that I didn't think it through until I'm in the debate. I'm not an Ne Dom though so it's difficult for me to just keep pelting ideas at them until one sticks cause I need my arguments to make sense (Ti) and when Ni pokes a hole it can leave me flustered. This is generally only the case when I exceed my topics of expertise and argue out of my ass.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,675 Posts
1-When I see a car passing by on the road, there's no way on earth it's just a car on the road.
I don't care where it came from, I don't really care for where it's going. It's colors, design, speed and sound are all tools that can be used for something else idealistically or satisfy another view I've been developing in my head.
I unavoidably see all sorts of things around it. I see a guy trying to jump over the car while it's in motion. I see a helicopter going after the car since it's in a police chase. The tires become inflamed and the driver is 300 million different people. This can happen anywhere from a millisecond, at first glance, or it may take 30 minutes if I see that the possibilities come near to reality.
Do you like to drive at night, ANAXEL?

I have a lot of problems with driving at night because my eyes almost can't focus on anything. It was super hard when I was first learning to drive because I could only focus on the black beyond the headlight beams, and I would get so upset because I couldn't see it, and anything could be there! A wreck, bigfoot, a person, a child, a damaged bridge, and I wouldn't be able to see it until it was too late. I still don't understand just how people enjoy driving at night. I also used to hate cars at night when they would drive behind me because they might not have even been cars. You see two headlights, but anything can have two lights.

----
For my humble Ne-aux, I could illustrate it through my hatred of the limited Related Videos list on YouTube.

If you wanted to think of very basic Ne, I suppose you can think of it as watching a YouTube video, and then continuing to click on related videos until you get from "*something normal people look at on YouTube that I can't even imagine*" to "How to Turn a Sphere Inside Out." You often see people in the comments on certain videos expressing wonder at how they got to that corner of the internet.

Following the related video train is okay, but for me, it is not organic enough or divergent enough. When I try to adventure into unfamiliar music styles, YouTube is way too safe. I often have to use lots of internet windows so I can explore adequately. I like to look up a subject on Wikipedia and just keep clicking on links to other articles. Sometimes the "See Also" section is random gold. I know a lot of things, and I can do a lot of things because I can't stop learning about everything.

Since Ne is my auxiliary, it serves my Fi a lot for the closure it desires. My Ne exploring seems pretty goal-oriented, even though the goal is always out of my reach and eternally unknown. And that's okay. People talk about reaching one's destiny—my destiny is to keep learning, searching, exploring, etc. Destiny is not really something to arrive at.

I guess Ne is pretty outward because I'm always looking around me for inspiration(which I think is the Ne keyword), and then I follow the first inspirations to a bunch of new ones. Later, I might go back to the original one and follow it the opposite direction.

I used to not think I was passionate or inspired about anything, but the reality is that I'm passionate about anything and everything that catches my interest. And there are limitless things that catch my interest. What I am currently examining and imagining is the most important thing.

A depressing thought that I try not to think about is that there is nothing new under the sun, that everything has been done before. I ignore that, and I go on searching.

I live very much in the moment. It's a very rich moment across time and space and a different alien's perspective every time.

I don't know if this is relevant, but just about every sentence I tell someone has a word like "maybe" "probably" "possibly" "most likely" One time I got in a fight with my (ex!!!)boyfriend because he did not believe in gambling, and yet I begin a ton of my sentences with "I bet ..." (...oh. my. gosh...) I start even more of my sentences with "I wonder." So, don't date an Ne user if you're dumb and take "I bet" literally. And then don't date an Ne user if excessive ambiguity stresses you out!! I'm full of vagaries. I might as well be the color gray.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think Ne experiences through imagination. It seems outwards because of its hunger and curiosity for its surroundings, but in my experience, I am not sure how much of it is truly outwards and how much of it is my imagination. I personally have a very hard time getting out of my head, and the only time I feel completely in touch with the real world is when I meet someone new. I want to know everything about that person. I want to know what kinds of experiences they went through and what they made of that experience. Human narratives are extremely interesting to me.

However, it makes me think if I am completely in touch with reality even then the way Se users are. I am fantasizing the way their lives were and the details feed into my imagination. So I find myself often disappointed with reality when it no longer gives anything more to feed my imagination. It's actually very dangerous in relationships, because if you are unaware of this, you drown yourself in your fantasy, idolizing the other. It puts unrealistic expectations. It takes a lot of effort and focus for me to see things as they really are, and I believe it is the Ne-Si coming into play.

--

Ni tires me out sometimes because I have a very short attention span. It seems as Ni-users get more and more interested and focused on the topic as they discuss. However, I tend to blurt out many ideas and work with tangents. I often feel I need to collect myself in front of Ni users and return to the topic being discussed, even when five other tangents that were triggered seem more interesting to me now.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Ni tires me out sometimes because I have a very short attention span. It seems as Ni-users get more and more interested and focused on the topic as they discuss. However, I tend to blurt out many ideas and work with tangents. I often feel I need to collect myself in front of Ni users and return to the topic being discussed, even when five other tangents that were triggered seem more interesting to me now.
I am sorry.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you wanted to think of very basic Ne, I suppose you can think of it as watching a YouTube video, and then continuing to click on related videos until you get from "*something normal people look at on YouTube that I can't even imagine*" to "How to Turn a Sphere Inside Out." You often see people in the comments on certain videos expressing wonder at how they got to that corner of the internet.
Interesting. My, partner [from here on described as "husband"], an Ne aux does a lot of this sort of thing on Wikipedia, but I love the analogy to YouTube video. It's actually quite interesting.

When he and I are both looking at Youtube, watching something, I'll be more likely to watch more of the same, like this clip of Stephen Colbert's intro monologue made me laugh, so I'm going to look at more intro monologues with Colbert. However my husband would rather look at something related that catches his eye, like "Oh, here's where Colbert interviewed Benedict Cumberbatch" and then ends up on a video where Benedict Cumberbatch can't pronounce Penguins (he says Pengwings, Pinglings, and other words that don't sound like penguin).

I basically want more and more nuanced information about the subject while husband wants more and more broad information because it's ... there? Will tag him in case I'm wrong @hornpipe2.

I guess Ne is pretty outward because I'm always looking around me for inspiration(which I think is the Ne keyword), and then I follow the first inspirations to a bunch of new ones. Later, I might go back to the original one and follow it the opposite direction.
This is also interesting to me because I also have outward things which inspire me, mostly religious symbols or archetypes which I feel speak to me personally. I think this is an example of Ni-Se as the symbols feed my Ni and the way the symbols are displayed feeds my Se.

I have a friend who has the same problem with the "nothing new under the sun" problem. Back when napster was out (Napster!!! I think the first music sharing program), he used to type in a bunch of random letters and then choose to download all of them as he was afraid there was a song out there he hadn't heard. To be fair, he wasn't crazy ... he just did this as a phase for about 2 weeks lol. Man, Napster.

- - - - - - - - -
I think Ne experiences through imagination. It seems outwards because of its hunger and curiosity for its surroundings, but in my experience, I am not sure how much of it is truly outwards and how much of it is my imagination. I personally have a very hard time getting out of my head, and the only time I feel completely in touch with the real world is when I meet someone new. I want to know everything about that person. I want to know what kinds of experiences they went through and what they made of that experience. Human narratives are extremely interesting to me.
I can recognize this sort of behavior in INTJs. It's endless data collection. However, I have found that INFPs tend to experience more disconnect between their imagination and reality, as you mention later on in your post.

Ni tires me out sometimes because I have a very short attention span. It seems as Ni-users get more and more interested and focused on the topic as they discuss. However, I tend to blurt out many ideas and work with tangents.
It would seem that this thread can also help others understand Ni as well. You're absolutely right about wanting to go deeper and deeper into a specific subject. At least that's the way I am. My husband can handle it to an extent, but when I see his eyes glossing over, I internally grumble and just drop the subject (in my mind, only maybe 1/4 as explored as I'd like).

·
Banned
484 Posts
I basically want more and more nuanced information about the subject while husband wants more and more broad information because it's ... there? Will tag him in case I'm wrong @hornpipe2.
Because learning more information helps me to better understand the "context" in which a thing exists, and how it interacts with its surroundings. e.g. I may jump on Wikipedia and look up Communism. And there's a path, if I really want to start digging in deep about the philosophy of it, the philosophical questions that arise and the paradoxes of pure implementation, etc. There's a lot to read about.

But, it's also useful to start branching off into all the tangentially related links, like "post-World War I Russia" and "Karl Marx" and "Industrial Revolution" and so on. These maybe seem like diversions but they set up a mental stage that sets the boundaries in which "communism" plays out. If I spend all my time pondering the details of Communism itself, I will miss out on learning a bunch of stuff, like what specifically allowed it to take hold in some countries and not others, or what happened when its application bumped into other nations with other government styles, why it collapsed, etc.

·
Registered
374 Posts

- - - - - - - - - -

When explained raw, it sounds overwhelming and IT IS when I'm drinking coffee or trying to sleep. I'm pretty sure you know what it's like not to be able to stop a thought. All intuitives struggle with that.

Btw, no, I usually don't have difficult situations with Ni doms.
Here's how my relationships with Ni doms usually is: I give birth, they make the babies grow.
Some times they'll tell me they don't like my baby, and yes, some persuasion is needed either in their behalf to convince me to kill it, or in my behalf to convince them to give it a name and make it exist. Some times I want to kill one, but they'll insist (this is my favorite part).

I'm an idea machine (from their point of view at least). That's not always good. I don't pay enough attention to many concepts in order to develop them or fully realize them. But they can foresee where many of my ideas will go and can warn me if I'm wasting my time or not. I like that. No, I won't always believe them, but I truly appreciate their insight because the way they explain to me their point of view lets me know it's well thought out and my arguments against theirs usually don't go beyond "But I just KNOW that it could work" unless I have fully thought something out, in which case we will come to a pretty good agreement (speaking of creative works mainly. Real arguments come in terms of taste "where will we go for lunch?" or "What do you mean you don't like my music?", but that's with all types)

For the most part, I don't know if people see this often, but I have experienced that Ni and Ne doms can become an unstoppable duo pretty quick.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Do you like to drive at night, ANAXEL?

I have a lot of problems with driving at night because my eyes almost can't focus on anything. It was super hard when I was first learning to drive because I could only focus on the black beyond the headlight beams, and I would get so upset because I couldn't see it, and anything could be there! A wreck, bigfoot, a person, a child, a damaged bridge, and I wouldn't be able to see it until it was too late. I still don't understand just how people enjoy driving at night. I also used to hate cars at night when they would drive behind me because they might not have even been cars. You see two headlights, but anything can have two lights.
I like to drive over all (the riskier the driving gets the more alive I feel but that's because I have issues).
Now, I'm more cynical than you are about possibilities. Maybe that can differentiate Ne dom from Ne aux?
Remember how I mentioned that Ne usually likes to impose the possibilities it sees on the real world rather than them being imposed on the self? Maybe that's unique to me or maybe to the Ne dom. I have very low expectations from the outside world to be anything other than what it is, probably because of how disappointed I've been by our underwhelming reality. So no, those two headlights belong to a regular human driver who is pretty irrelevant in my life.
This could also be due to the fact that I'm an ENTP.
Ne: "Hey... those headlights, what if it's two mermaids riding two motorcycles parallel to each other? I mean, we're pretty close to that lake, aren't we? These are some pretty isolated woods! Anything could be hiding out here that doesn't show its face to humanity, and they have deemed us worthy of witnessing their grand yet intimate revelation!"
Ti: "First of all, I can hear a regular engine behind us, that looks like an F150. Also, we already proved there aren't such things as mermaids, remember? You wanting to see them and them being real are two different things. And if this is such an isolated area, why is there a drivable road here? Everyone has seen everything there is to see. "There is nothing new under the sun", dude, remember? It's Biblical. Also, why would they deem us worthy of anything if we are polluting their area like the rest of the jerks that drive down this road? We're nothing special, go home, please"
Fe: "HEY! HEEEYYY!!! Guys, we need to get home fast or they'll be worried about us! STEP ON IT!"
Si: "but don't break the speed limit... lower the temperature please, it's too hot in this car.... I like how the steering wheel feels, I can't stop picking on it."

One time... I was day dreaming while listening to 80's music (I think it was New Order's Blue Monday), and I see the light goes red on this VERY busy intersection right at the 5:00 rush.
I'm in a trance thinking about a comic book I want to finish with this Ni dom friend of mine who told me I need to be more responsible with my creations because he's putting a lot of work into it as much as I am.
I DO NOT stop at the red light, and all that brings me back to reality are pitch-shifting horns.
Nobody got hurt. No cops.
I'm very lucky that way!
I've accidentally walked into a populated women's restroom in three different occasions because of the same reason. Nobody saw me. I'm pretty grateful.
It's getting better now. And yes, it's probably ADD.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Anywho, I am not Ne-user, is what I am going to say, but I have friends who I know are Ne-user and because of it, I can do a pretty good impression of one. So I'll give one example that I've seen before from a friend in conversation, and my own expression of what it is.

Example: "Well you said cake, and then I thought how tasty cake is, and then I imagined a guy named Jake eating a cake because it rhymed, and thought about him starting a band named "Jake With The Cake"? And then he went on to meet Jake The Snake from WWF and they made a webshow called "Two Jakes, one Cake."

Needless to say, I laughed at how ridiculous it was.

My description: Ne is a lot like a snowball rolling down the hill, increasing in speed, yet becoming bigger and bigger as it roll, except instead of a hill, it's more like a snowball rolling down a myriad of rollercoaster-like turns and twists that somehow flings the snowball off track and break the large snowball up into a variety of individual snowballs that shoot off into different directions.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,561 Posts
Here is a short explanation of how I use my Ne, since many people have already posted detailed, in depth explanations of the mechanics of it. It’s extremely like attention deficiency. I just can’t focus on one thing. I can never just do ONE thing and be satisfied. It’s like a weird urge to multi task all the time, unless something is very interesting and demands my attention. Also, I often have trouble staying focused in my thoughts as well. I will try to focus on one thought but somehow one thought leads to another, and another, and in the end I end up being somewhere vaguely related to the original thought, and this is almost involuntary. I don’t try to think of all these things, although I suspect I might be loosely aware of it happening. Paired with Si, these thoughts do tend to dwell on how past events could have gone differently. What could have been rather than what could be. Like I might replay a conversation I had but it would turn into scenes that never actually happened, in my head. Like an alternate ending kind of. It can be quite disorienting, because it makes focusing really hard sometimes when my natural state of mind is to just drift wherever my mind takes me. I sometimes do stare into space unknowingly because of this. I am more unaware of my surroundings than your average person.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
This is also interesting to me because I also have outward things which inspire me, mostly religious symbols or archetypes which I feel speak to me personally. I think this is an example of Ni-Se as the symbols feed my Ni and the way the symbols are displayed feeds my Se.
That's it! The difference between Ni and Ne. Ni inspirations take you deeper, Ne inspirations take you to another one.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I like to drive over all (the riskier the driving gets the more alive I feel but that's because I have issues).
Now, I'm more cynical than you are about possibilities. Maybe that can differentiate Ne dom from Ne aux?
Remember how I mentioned that Ne usually likes to impose the possibilities it sees on the real world rather than them being imposed on the self? Maybe that's unique to me or maybe to the Ne dom. I have very low expectations from the outside world to be anything other than what it is, probably because of how disappointed I've been by our underwhelming reality. So no, those two headlights belong to a regular human driver who is pretty irrelevant in my life.
This could also be due to the fact that I'm an ENTP.
Ne: "Hey... those headlights, what if it's two mermaids riding two motorcycles parallel to each other? I mean, we're pretty close to that lake, aren't we? These are some pretty isolated woods! Anything could be hiding out here that doesn't show its face to humanity, and they have deemed us worthy of witnessing their grand yet intimate revelation!"
Ti: "First of all, I can hear a regular engine behind us, that looks like an F150. Also, we already proved there aren't such things as mermaids, remember? You wanting to see them and them being real are two different things. And if this is such an isolated area, why is there a drivable road here? Everyone has seen everything there is to see. "There is nothing new under the sun", dude, remember? It's Biblical. Also, why would they deem us worthy of anything if we are polluting their area like the rest of the jerks that drive down this road? We're nothing special, go home, please"
Fe: "HEY! HEEEYYY!!! Guys, we need to get home fast or they'll be worried about us! STEP ON IT!"
Si: "but don't break the speed limit... lower the temperature please, it's too hot in this car.... I like how the steering wheel feels, I can't stop picking on it."

One time... I was day dreaming while listening to 80's music (I think it was New Order's Blue Monday), and I see the light goes red on this VERY busy intersection right at the 5:00 rush.
I'm in a trance thinking about a comic book I want to finish with this Ni dom friend of mine who told me I need to be more responsible with my creations because he's putting a lot of work into it as much as I am.
I DO NOT stop at the red light, and all that brings me back to reality are pitch-shifting horns.
Nobody got hurt. No cops.
I'm very lucky that way!
I've accidentally walked into a populated women's restroom in three different occasions because of the same reason. Nobody saw me. I'm pretty grateful.
It's getting better now. And yes, it's probably ADD.
Neat dom and aux thoughts!

I've seen it described that the inferior function is the most underdeveloped and childlike of the functional stack. The pattern could be that each function from the dominant is a bit more childlike than the last. My Ne is really starting to open up from its aux position, and it does run a bit wild at times. I have a weird and chronically fantastical imagination, and my mind is quick to go to the mermaid scenario! It's like I expect some kind of surprise all the time, and by then, it isn't a surprise.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
You know in movies when detectives or cops are trying to solve a crime mystery and they put up all of these photos and newspaper clippings and maps and then they get some string and start making connections between them, well that's what Ne does. I always think, " Why do they need that chart? Is that helpful to someone? Doesnt their brain just do that?" That kind of chart with string is what my Ne does. Connects what I just read to a different memory from some years ago and then the two together form part of a concept that might be completed if I go look up this other thing on wikipedia. Yes, a lot of it is experienced as some imagination if I'm being creative, (and I appreciate my INFP husband's wonderful creative imagination with his Fi-Ne) but if I'm dealing with facts and concepts and also people's emotions then it all feels quite tangible because I use my Ne in my job and in my life pretty much every second in order to get results. I can rearrange the maps, pictures, newspaper clippings. I can bounce things off of them. People sometimes ask me to connect the dots for them, I've learned to do so. People sometimes ask me to talk chronologically, I then do so. This used to worry me and be difficult for me because it felt like "dumbing down" and now I trust nobody will be offended and this is how I gain respect. I now trust that people will follow my intuition if I lay it out for them. I am endlessly double checking my facts and connections so that I feel more confident connecting the dots for people and absolutely sure of my conclusions. I especially do this because my gut instincts/connections are usually 90% correct but they feel really quick and like a strike of lightning and I wouldn't be able to tell anyone where I got them and my own confidence would be lacking without then going back and double checking all my thinking and it's usually always spot-on, but I almost always learn some tangent interest/something new in my double-checking process and sometimes I realize the evidence is only partially available. In that case, I figure I just intuitively came up with something that I then am going to trust enough to pursue-- not to share, yet. Like we don't know why the Periodic Table of Elements was right on even when the elements hadn't all been discovered. Einstein was an incredibly intuitive thinker and got other people to double check and "connect the dots" for him. So I'll keep my hunches to myself until I can prove them and in that case it becomes a fascination for me that I will not shake until I've solved those mysteries in every possible way I know how. But I MUST know. I MUST constantly study and look for all possible information out there. In short, my Ne wants to know EVERYTHING!"

I need to find the Ni thread.

Reactions: Baepsae

·
Registered
3,131 Posts

However, it makes me think if I am completely in touch with reality even then the way Se users are. I am fantasizing the way their lives were and the details feed into my imagination. So I find myself often disappointed with reality when it no longer gives anything more to feed my imagination. It's actually very dangerous in relationships, because if you are unaware of this, you drown yourself in your fantasy, idolizing the other. It puts unrealistic expectations. It takes a lot of effort and focus for me to see things as they really are, and I believe it is the Ne-Si coming into play.

--

I just want to say I relate to the bolded portion so much it aches. Well, maybe except for the "getting out of my head" bit. Sometimes I am so focused on things outside of myself that I start feeling like I'm watching everything unfold, I'm watching people and things and ideas and they're moving and changing and it's very exciting - and I feel like an outsider sometimes, like an observer.

What you say about meeting someone new is so true. Actually, when I was getting to know my husband, it started out less like a typical crush and more like intense curiosity. I wanted to understand how he thought. Get into his mind. He was a locked door to me - the possibilities excited me. I wondered about him. He later said he knew I was very curious and pandered a bit to my curiosity. He'd stay kind of silent around me, and he liked to wander off different places from my group of friends so I'd get curious and follow him. Needless to say, it worked.

That aside, human narratives are fascinating. I love to wonder about people. You can never run out of things to wonder about when wondering about people. It's cool that you find them interesting too. ^-^

I also dunno if I'd call this an "attention span" problem or what, but I do find I associate things a lot. And when, say, my INTP husband and I are talking about something - whether that be a philosophical concept or some social issue or something else entirely - for me there is a lot of, "That reminds me of..." I realized over time that I tend to relate things because there is some concept or principle that ties them together or is the same. But it's not like I reasoned to get there, nor am I trying to make some connection that's valid. I was just "reminded" of it, or associated the two somehow, and it came into my mind.

EDIT: Also, I dunno if other Ne-users can relate to this. It'd be neat to get people to talk about their relation with Si too. I've had some people expect me to be all gung-ho about trying every new thing under the sun. Like even trying new foods at restaurants or new clothes or new ways of doing... actually very sensory things.

I find that I'm actually pretty hesitant when it comes to doing some sensory thing a new way, and I kinda feel like this might have something to do with inferior Si. Like if I go to a restaurant, I'm less likely than each one of my family members (ESFP, ESFJ, ISTJ, and INTP - all tested and they know about type because I love sharing the things that interest me with those that I am close to) to try out some new food. I'll order the same thing at each place often, ignoring the new thing for something I know will give me a nice experience. Often I've no interest in trying out some new sensory thing like that as well unless there's some idea about it that I like or am interested in exploring.

I also feel pretty incompetent when it comes to that sort of thing. Also somehow people expect me since I use Ne to like... experiment with recipes, when I'm so unsure of myself when it comes to stuff like that I actually make something the same way every time never straying from what is written on paper. I become a freakin' nazi and it's not at all how I normally approach the world. But it's because I'm forced to deal with a realm I don't normally give my focus, I think. I'm actually like this with stuff like clothes too. I'm not very visual, I don't have a good eye for stuff... It's not like I'm not a fashionable human being or I don't dress well. I just tend to choose stuff that I know will look nice. I rely a lot on my sister for clothing advice when it comes to adding some style to it or when I'm trying out some new outfit. I don't even know if I'm bad at it, I just... feel out of my zone.

Legitimately, these weird small normal things can seriously trip me up.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Thank you all for this. It gives so much more substance to Ne.

I've actually been wondering about Ni vs Ne a lot (haven't we all). Interestingly I have an interesting example. On the TV in my country there's a program that has a version in UK and US called "The Mole". While I was watching it together with my ISFJ girlfriend I noticed that I'm always working with a single hypothesis and I'm trying to prove/disprove that single hypothesis. In this programme, the question is "Who is the mole" and it's up to the participants (and the viewers) to figure out, based on the provided footage, who it is.
Now, while I always tend to suspect only a single candidate at a time, she was a lot more open-minded about the whole thing. Just observing all that was happening and keeping all of her options open.

So, I got to thinking: What if that is the big divide between Ni and Ne? Ni focuses on a single hypothesis, while Ne can keep multiple open at the same time and is able to switch between them. Ni can go more in-depth because it only recognizes a single possibility at a time, while Ne can go wide and make sure it doesn't exclude the right one. Could this be what makes Ne slower to reach a judgment than Ni? Ne is still looking at all the options, while Ni has already chosen one to focus on. This would make Ni faster, but more prone to errors, while Ne would be slower to reach a decision, but more accurate when it finally does.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts