Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's this person i know who has very strong Fe and Ne, i think he might be in a loop, but i'm not sure which is stronger, really.

Extroverted Feeling:
- very open & caring guy, always asking how everyone is, very inclusive
- genuinely comforts you when you're sad, expresses "gushy" emotions
- values etiquette and positive expressions used in Fe-like social interaction (wow that's amazing, how is the wedding plan going, i can't wait to hear about it), etc.
- impressive how open his emotional language is for a straight male (suggests not very strong Si)

Extroverted Intuition:
- "You know what's funny about this? It looks like a .... which reminds me of this, which in fact relates to this Muppets episode where ... "
- He's always bouncing from one topic to another
- super excited and aware of new, fun connections and imagined situations around him

And oh, how much fun he has when you give him an imaginary game or scenario - once my Ne-dom boyfriend was on the same field trip as this guy and they talked non-stop about every existing topic in the universe. It's hard to keep up with Ne conversations XD

The thing is, i don't see any introverted function in him.

Si isn't strong, like i said.

he often says things out loud instead of contemplating them and fitting them into internal systems of either values or logic (Ti & Fi) and he does have intuitive realizations (Ni) but those seem more Ne: "Oh, i just realized that in Deadpool 2, there was a reference to [insert 1 of their millions of references] which is so cool because in [reference] this event also occurred in this way, because in the story before that..."

And sometimes he might drift off and be back in 5 seconds like, "I was gonna say [something] but i realized it didn't make sense", which might be an indication of Ti. But he never seems to consider things the way a Ti type might. It's almost always external input that tells him what does/does not make sense.

His internal functions seem kind of unused, he's just such an extrovert.

I've read about loops, and i think this might be what's happening here, but my knowledge on this is not extensive and i'd be very happy if someone could help with finding which introverted functions he might be using to support his 2 very strong extroverted functions.

Thank you!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hmmm... It's tricky because you're combining your analysis and opinions with the arguments, which makes me think you're probably biased towards which facts and aspects of his personality you are picking up.

Nevertheless, it seems likely that both Fe and Ne are well developed as you say. Although I can't say which type is more likely, I can offer you a few tricks I use to try and narrow in on a type:

1- Which function does he seem to value more and which does he seem to express unintentionally? The 2nd and/or 3rd functions tend to be valued more consciously than the dominant function.

2- How does he view himself? Once again, people will often focus on their lower functions when you ask them about their strengths, because they take their dominant for granted.

3- The inferior function is often applied in a clumsy way, especially in moments of stress or discomfort. When he asks about your wedding plans (Si), does he listen intently and offer keen insights, or does he jump in with random, mismatched ideas? Does he use logic regularly to explain his viewpoints or does he throw it in frantically when he's feeling cornered?

I won't offer a typing for your friend because it would feel like total guess-work, but I hope these tips help and that the wedding goes well! :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... It's tricky because you're combining your analysis and opinions with the arguments, which makes me think you're probably biased towards which facts and aspects of his personality you are picking up.
It's hard to come up with Ne examples at 1am, what else is there to say? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I might sound biased but i tried my best to tell you the way he acts most of the time...at 1am...Also i don't know him that well so apologies for that.

1- Which function does he seem to value more and which does he seem to express unintentionally? The 2nd and/or 3rd functions tend to be valued more consciously than the dominant function.

2- How does he view himself? Once again, people will often focus on their lower functions when you ask them about their strengths, because they take their dominant for granted.
I'm really not sure, he doesn't seem like he's intentionally behaving in a certain way, ever. He's very relaxed and comfortable once you talk to him for a few minutes.

I haven't asked, but sometimes in conversations he would describe himself as "that one guy who..." (with these exact words, unlike the paraphrasing i used in the original post), which suggests that he's viewing himself as eccentric or standing out. But once when he was telling me about his friend dating a manipulative guy, he seemed like he was seeing himself as the mediator, although that could be just the feeling of obligation in helping out a friend in a tough situation.

3- The inferior function is often applied in a clumsy way, especially in moments of stress or discomfort. When he asks about your wedding plans (Si), does he listen intently and offer keen insights, or does he jump in with random, mismatched ideas? Does he use logic regularly to explain his viewpoints or does he throw it in frantically when he's feeling cornered?

I won't offer a typing for your friend because it would feel like total guess-work, but I hope these tips help and that the wedding goes well! :)
Haha it wasn't a wedding, it was prom he asked about, again it's my brain trying to remember things and come up with examples very late.

He never seems stressed in social situations, seems very comfortable around people. I think he just throws in ideas, but sometimes those random ideas can work, for example when i had missed a day of rehearsal in our musical, he would tell me where the directors were and he'd give me tips and different strategies to practice what i'd missed on my own. But it would have been equally probable for him to say that he's not sure, or to talk about something off-topic that might be loosely related to my situation.

It seems that a lot of his actions really depend on his mood or the "mode" his mind is in at the present moment. Sorry, it's very hard to tell.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Apologies, I didn't mean for the "biased" comment to come off as a criticism. We all can have biases when it comes to these things!

If you'd like for me to guess then this is sounding a lot more like ENTP than ESFJ, but typing takes a lot of patience and careful observations. I'm just offering a guess based on what you're throwing down.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apologies, I didn't mean for the "biased" comment to come off as a criticism. We all can have biases when it comes to these things!

If you'd like for me to guess then this is sounding a lot more like ENTP than ESFJ, but typing takes a lot of patience and careful observations. I'm just offering a guess based on what you're throwing down.
That's fine, i didn't take offense, was just trying to be more objective because when i responded to you it was daytime haha.

It's really confusing because he isn't a guy to hide things from people, he's so open, and then you realize you have no idea what his type is even ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for the suggestions though!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely ENTP or ESFJ. I would say ENTP.
Hey i see that you're new, welcome to the forum!

I also felt that the Ne was stronger at first, but the more i got to know him, the stronger the Fe seemed.

Do you have any reasons for why you'd say ENTP?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts