Personality Cafe banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Written by @hmwith

In the hierarchy of cognitive functions, the highest two best shape an individual. The dominant function strongly governs one's personality, and the auxiliary function helps assist and balance the first. Specifically, for an ENFP, the dominant function is extroverted intuition (Ne), and the auxiliary function is introverted feeling (Fi).

What do the functions mean?
For those who are new to the functions behind the MBTI, Wikipedia gives great, simple explanations of what each means in the "ENFP" article.
Ne finds and interprets hidden meanings, using “what if” questions to explore alternatives, allowing multiple possibilities to coexist.
Fi filters information based on interpretations of worth, forming judgments according to criteria that are often intangible.
Do those seem ENFP-esque? Absolutely, but it's the way that these two functions combine that truly defines the personality type.

How do Ne and Fi work together?
Ne shapes us, providing us with big, zany ideas (and loads of them). But, it's the Fi filter that compels us to express these according to our values, adding a sense of passion along the way.
As an ENFP, I constantly ask myself whether or not each idea is "me" or if I like it enough to follow through; they mean nothing to me without being sifted through the Fi.
This leads to what I see as overanalyzing, but it's how an ENFP lives. Although what is expressed outwardly is the Ne-driven steam of consciousness, our minds are constantly occupied by weighing the importance and sincerity of these ideas.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts