Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've done a lot of what I guess you could call "soul searching", as well as a lot of thinking about what behavior patterns and modes of thinking are consistent with what feels comfortable to exist in (mainly due to years of very unhealthy interpersonal dynamics that I'm finally out of). I've lurked on here for a while trying to pick apart pieces of information that could be helpful in categorizing other people and myself, with the hopes of dealing with the self and others in ways that are the least bit stressful and are productive.

I've been working closely with a lot of Te/Si variants of people; and while I have a deep appreciation for how they keep things afloat, I myself can't manage to keep that mindset without giving myself a migraine or becoming a jerk. I identify with the descriptions of both Ne-dominant types as being close descriptions of myself, however I am having difficulty telling which may be the one I happen to fall into.

For further clarification: I only want to learn which type so I can focus my attentions toward healthy growth and away from negative aspects of the type.

Does anyone have any input?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
So ESTJ?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hiiii horrorbun~

I feel like there's more information you could provide. Maybe describe yourself a bit with the potential auxiliary functions of Ne.

Which one do you resonate with?

“How can I manipulate the way that this object or situation works so that it instead works the way I’d like it to?”
Ti ----> ENTP

“I need to isolate myself to process how I feel about the activities I've been engaging in lately and decide whether or not to keep doing them.”
Fi ----> ENFP

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hiiii horrorbun~

I feel like there's more information you could provide. Maybe describe yourself a bit with the potential auxiliary functions of Ne.

Which one do you resonate with?

“How can I manipulate the way that this object or situation works so that it instead works the way I’d like it to?”
Ti ----> ENTP

“I need to isolate myself to process how I feel about the activities I've been engaging in lately and decide whether or not to keep doing them.”
Fi ----> ENFP
I am generally good at coming up with a solution on my feet to mostly any problem that comes around. I tend to look at the rules and social norms of a place and use that as a way to better understand and work with certain people. For example, if a person happens to be a stickler for rules, I will follow the rules as best as I can around them and get on their good side (if pay or other incentive is involved). I also have a good knack for amassing information on people (their likes, dislikes, offhand comments) and weaving it into my conversations with them as if I didn't know the information to begin with. I'm not super proud of it, but when I was younger I would deal almost entirely in knowledge of people and tended to use it to make ends meet, by obscuring truths and tugging on heartstrings (which is a nice way to say manipulation).

My main focus tends to be on collecting as much information I can on people, their motivations, what they are good at, and letting that fuel my interactions with them (unless some of their interests match up with mine, then I will be more likely to open up about theories on character dynamics or underlying themes of stuff I like). I tend to enjoy using this to boost morale, and calm frustrated co-workers from going over the edge. However, unprocessed raw emotion is staggering to me and I can't be around it for long, since I always want to solve it.

I don't really have to isolate myself to process my feelings. I tend to know them pretty well, and usually conversation does a better job at getting my thoughts on a subject out, or how I feel about something into better perspective. I can sit at a table with a keyboard and type into a document what my thoughts are on a written prompt, and end up at a sudden conclusion easily, when it isn't something about me. When I am given a written prompt about myself, I tend to have a good idea about what things mean to myself and those around me, but have a difficult time being able to come to conclusions about myself as an entity.

- I think that might be something to work off of? Questions actually help in getting my thoughts moving.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Okay, I was under the impression that you had already confirmed you possess the Ne dominant function. It doesn't come across that way now though.

Ne likes to consider every possibility and explore them all. Has a tendency to bounce around topics and people while getting bored and burned out often. Ne doms retreat to process all they've experienced either for the purposes of seeing if they are coherent with the self (Enfp) or manipulating to suit the personal framework (Entp). This is a poor description but I am just throwing things out of the top of my head.

Actually you probably already know this, derp. :frustrating:

I mean its possible you are ENTP. ENTPs enjoy debating for the fun of it, love being in unfamiliar situations, aggressive risk takers, rule breakers (which is why I was surprised to hear you follow them), and social fun lovers. But you don't identify with ENFP. Idk. I am confused.

Have you tried a cognitive functions test?

Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

Perhaps this will help!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I was under the impression that you had already confirmed you possess the Ne dominant function. It doesn't come across that way now though.

Ne likes to consider every possibility and explore them all. Has a tendency to bounce around topics and people while getting bored and burned out often. Ne doms retreat to process all they've experienced either for the purposes of seeing if they are coherent with the self (Enfp) or manipulating to suit the personal framework (Entp). This is a poor description but I am just throwing things out of the top of my head.

Actually you probably already know this, derp. :frustrating:

I mean its possible you are ENTP. ENTPs enjoy debating for the fun of it, love being in unfamiliar situations, aggressive risk takers, rule breakers (which is why I was surprised to hear you follow them), and social fun lovers. But you don't identify with ENFP. Idk. I am confused.

Have you tried a cognitive functions test?

Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

Perhaps this will help!
One of the issues I have had has been in differentiating Ni vs Ne in myself. I'm not certain whether I seek loads of information for the sake of coming to a single point (which I may), or if I am collecting knowledge for the sake of branching outward. I get frustrated when I see people around me stagnating, or falling into behavioral patterns that are less than ideal (so, I guess I could argue that I am constantly taking information to form opinions and hypothesis about what it all means), but I also ingest media and input constantly (so that I have tons to talk about with other people and to mull over in my mind).

I don't necissarily "love" rules, so much as love the fact that knowing them is like a key in the door of getting along with STJs (which my work is dominated by). They are often frazzled, hurried, and very worried about rules, so simply following procedure tends to keep them happy. I can understand Si people, and love their stability, however they feel very alien to me in methods of working/thinking.

Okay, so, after having taken the Keys 2 Cognition test... I have gotten these as my results:
Fe: 48.9 Ni: 45.7
Ti: 41.1 Ne: 40.8
Se: 28.6 Si: 18.2
Fi: 11.3 Te: 6

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
@horrorbun,

Your functional results intrigue me. I don't think that's the most reliable test. Have you taken other tests?

Looking from your results and the way you seem to be torn,
I could see NFJ -- where your analysis paralysis is an Ni-Fi loop where you are stuck in your mind and can't make sense of your thoughts.
I could also see ENFP -- where your Ne is running wild and you're seeing multiple possibilities of interpreting things for yourself.

You don't strike me as an NT or an STJ.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@horrorbun,

Your functional results intrigue me. I don't think that's the most reliable test. Have you taken other tests?

Looking from your results and the way you seem to be torn,
I could see NFJ -- where your analysis paralysis is an Ni-Fi loop where you are stuck in your mind and can't make sense of your thoughts.
I could also see ENFP -- where your Ne is running wild and you're seeing multiple possibilities of interpreting things for yourself.

You don't strike me as an NT or an STJ.
That sounds like it could be the case. How would you go about telling the difference? Well, I suppose I would say that I tend to gravitate toward the world of Ti moreso than Te; in that I enjoy employing logical systems over external organizational ones. However, I don't do thinking for thinking's sake, but rather employ thinking for the sake of solving problems for other people.

I don't, however, get caught up in morality for too long. It gets very exhausting for me when I'm around people who focus intently on morality, because to some degree it can translate to disharmony for me (though I love the passion and willpower that high Fi users have at times!). This makes me question ENFP, but not throw the full consideration out the window just yet.

As for NFJs, well... I don't think I've ever met one to know much about how they operate. I do know that I will do almost anything (within reason) to help those that I consider part of my group (which could point to some form of Fe?), not because I care whether or not it is moral, but because I care about those people. I say this because after a lot of thought, I have a lot of doubts about Fi being in my stack.

Though I don't know the validity of the test itself, I did take a rather long MBTI test as part of some type of leadership work training once and got INFJ. However, because I know that the test is only so good as the understanding of the questions when they are being answered, I also take that with a grain of salt and prefer to do my own investigating on that/the functions (thus I am here).

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
That sounds like it could be the case. How would you go about telling the difference? Well, I suppose I would say that I tend to gravitate toward the world of Ti moreso than Te; in that I enjoy employing logical systems over external organizational ones. However, I don't do thinking for thinking's sake, but rather employ thinking for the sake of solving problems for other people.

I don't, however, get caught up in morality for too long. It gets very exhausting for me when I'm around people who focus intently on morality, because to some degree it can translate to disharmony for me (though I love the passion and willpower that high Fi users have at times!). This makes me question ENFP, but not throw the full consideration out the window just yet.

As for NFJs, well... I don't think I've ever met one to know much about how they operate. I do know that I will do almost anything (within reason) to help those that I consider part of my group (which could point to some form of Fe?), not because I care whether or not it is moral, but because I care about those people. I say this because after a lot of thought, I have a lot of doubts about Fi being in my stack.

Though I don't know the validity of the test itself, I did take a rather long MBTI test as part of some type of leadership work training once and got INFJ. However, because I know that the test is only so good as the understanding of the questions when they are being answered, I also take that with a grain of salt and prefer to do my own investigating on that/the functions (thus I am here).
Solid analysis.

Valuing your interpersonal relationships over your values sounds distinctly Fe over Fi to me.
I know that Fi users will easily forfeit friendships / relationships if they cross some internal standard.
I think an Fe user might forfeit a friendship because of what it might mean to their other friendships or for image reasons.

The way you are approaching this typing process does not strike me as particularly Fe-dominant though. I would imagine you lead with intuition. If you disagree with ENFP then INFJ is likely your best bet.

I would go into those descriptions and see if you feel it applies to you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Solid analysis.

Valuing your interpersonal relationships over your values sounds distinctly Fe over Fi to me.
I know that Fi users will easily forfeit friendships / relationships if they cross some internal standard.
I think an Fe user might forfeit a friendship because of what it might mean to their other friendships or for image reasons.

The way you are approaching this typing process does not strike me as particularly Fe-dominant though. I would imagine you lead with intuition. If you disagree with ENFP then INFJ is likely your best bet.

I would go into those descriptions and see if you feel it applies to you.
Thanks! This has been helpful in ordering a few thoughts around. I sometimes wonder as to the soundness of my logic, so having another person confirm my suspicions tends to strengthen my belief in what I have come up with (otherwise I'll grind a subject into the dirt trying to find the core of it). I'll take a look at some of the descriptions again and see how it matches up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts