Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I noticed about Ne users. Like my INTP buddy; if a person is brought up, he often assumes their voice and other mannerisms. He has a voice and style for all of us. He has a weird formula. Like he doesn't actually mimic this one friend's voice, he mimics his mothers trashy, drunk voice. So when assuming our mutual friend, he uses this drunk, trashy, older woman's voice. It is perfectly fitting.

My father is an ENTP, and always talking shit too. I think this is why ENTP may be associated with comedy. It finds the ridiculous in things. Even when listening to music, my ENTP friend, can totally mimic being a drummer, and knows nothing about it. He looks like he knows what he is doing.

I particularly can't picture Ni doms being good at this kind of thing. Dana Carvey is a perfect example of a great Ne dom impressionist. These guys see people as like silly putty, and just keep on molding till they get it:

·
Registered
4w5
1,535 Posts
I have noticed this too. I had a very strong Ne as a child and I was told I was a very good actor. I easily imitated anyone I had observed for a short amount of time. I notice this in many Ne-doms.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Well, I take up different attitudes when dealing with different people. It depends on how close I am/how I was initially introduced to that person. For one of my ENTP friends, I respond to what he's saying in short sentences with a usually jokey premise. For some people i'll sit up straight and speak intellectually with a more confident look. With my ENFP friend, I usually move more, and smile often.

·
Registered
421 Posts
In my case, whenever I spend time with someone on a regular basis, I begin to pick up their mannerisms, speech, quirks, etc. I don't purposely try to imitate them, it just sort of becomes a subconscious occurrence after awhile.

Reactions: series0

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have noticed this too. I had a very strong Ne as a child and I was told I was a very good actor. I easily imitated anyone I had observed for a short amount of time. I notice this in many Ne-doms.
I cannot imitate anything. Particularly art. That is similar. To see something and translate it to your hand, and reproduce it. It is like sorcery to me. What Carvey is doing is similar to sorcery too. I would not even know where to begin. I can't even conceptualize the process. My brain doesn't work that way.

It actually fits totally with the Ne description. Ne sees objective possibilities. It is creative, but objective. That is how it nails those impressions. It was made to do that.

Reactions: Lestany

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Robin Williams was an ENFP and a master voice/character mimic and improviser. I have been able to do some mimicry throughout the years. I have Ne as aux. I recall a post that @monemi shared something of her father being gifted at mimicry, but that she believed he was ESFP. Perhaps it has to do with the favored perception function being extraverted rather than introverted?

What type would you think Michael Winslow is? He is the ultimate sound effect mimic.

·
Registered
4w5
1,535 Posts
I cannot imitate anything. Particularly art. That is similar. To see something and translate it to your hand, and reproduce it. It is like sorcery to me. What Carvey is doing is similar to sorcery too. I would not even know where to begin. I can't even conceptualize the process. My brain doesn't work that way.

It actually fits totally with the Ne description. Ne sees objective possibilities. It is creative, but objective. That is how it nails those impressions. It was made to do that.
I wonder if Se can do this too. Se and Ne can sometimes be hard to distinguish. I think Jim Carrey could either be an ENTP or ENTJ, and he seem to have either a strong Se or Ne. He is very physically "there". He is great with expression and imitation.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder if Se can do this too. Se and Ne can sometimes be hard to distinguish. I think Jim Carrey could either be an ENTP or ENTJ, and he seem to have either a strong Se or Ne. He is very physically "there". He is great with expression and imitation.
Ne has a spastic signature to it. Like random explosions. All over the place. I can tell some from observing them for just a few seconds. It is striking.

ENTJ are more sedated, serious and focused.

Two good examples of ENTP:

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Robin Williams was an ENFP and a master voice/character mimic and improviser. I have been able to do some mimicry throughout the years. I have Ne as aux. I recall a post that @monemi shared something of her father being gifted at mimicry, but that she believed he was ESFP. Perhaps it has to do with the favored perception function being extraverted rather than introverted?

What type would you think Michael Winslow is? He is the ultimate sound effect mimic.

I grew up on that guy.

I just watched an interview of him, and I think he is a feeler. He appears to be using Ne too. ENFP is one of my blind spots. I need to get them in the lab and study them. I haven't found a true specimen that has been confirmed. I have had people take tests, and come back ENFP, but I think they are ESFP. I don't have a feel for them yet.

Reactions: Im FiNe

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
... perhaps. We could also consider the concentration of mirror neurons within the brain which is inconclusive to type. If I were to assign a particular function to this I would choose lower order Fe.

Ne is a perception function, always. I love ambiguity and I'm always pondering the nature of things. External reality does not exist on absolute terms. It exists as it is perceived by humans, other species or in itself as self refferential matter and energy. Mimicry is something that comes naturally to me. I sometimes change accents unconsciously and impersonate my interlocutors (which is documents as inferior Fe by Quenk). It's also difficult for me to be around emotionally taxing people because I take on their habits and become taxing and negative myself. Plus I only have so much empathy I can give before I feel nervous and exhausted and need to retreat, change company or even end the relationship. And yes, I had a love affair with acting, music and the stage for most of my life.

The beauty of comedy is that you're playing with social dynamics, awkwardness and the increase and release of emotional tension. Also when I improvise at the piano I'm always hinting at styles of different musicians and genres of music: I once wrote a composition assignment for string quartet influenced by Scandinavian death metal because I thought it would be funny to watch my teacher get all intellectual and speculate on my influences.

On the flip side: I getting into Zen meditation so that I will not lose myself and to quiet my mind and so that I have a sense of presence, intent and determination. It's almost too easy to be a chameleon and sometimes you forget who you are.

... maybe it's a combination of Ne/Fe

<3 spaceballs :)

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Ne with good motor skills; ultimate person you'd want to jam with you?

A lot of stand up comedians are Ns, not sure about Ne vs Ni...

Louis CK has Ne for aux (INFP),
As mentioned, Robin Williams ENFP, as is George Carlin.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
... perhaps. We could also consider the concentration of mirror neurons within the brain which is inconclusive to type. If I were to assign a particular function to this I would choose lower order Fe.

Ne is a perception function, always. I love ambiguity and I'm always pondering the nature of things. External reality does not exist on absolute terms. It exists as it is perceived by humans, other species or in itself as self refferential matter and energy. Mimicry is something that comes naturally to me. I sometimes change accents unconsciously and impersonate my interlocutors (which is documents as inferior Fe by Quenk). It's also difficult for me to be around emotionally taxing people because I take on their habits and become taxing and negative myself. Plus I only have so much empathy I can give before I feel nervous and exhausted and need to retreat, change company or even end the relationship. And yes, I had a love affair with acting, music and the stage for most of my life.

The beauty of comedy is that you're playing with social dynamics, awkwardness and the increase and release of emotional tension. Also when I improvise at the piano I'm always hinting at styles of different musicians and genres of music: I once wrote a composition assignment for string quartet influenced by Scandinavian death metal because I thought it would be funny to watch my teacher get all intellectual and speculate on my influences.

On the flip side: I getting into Zen meditation so that I will not lose myself and to quiet my mind and so that I have a sense of presence, intent and determination. It's almost too easy to be a chameleon and sometimes you forget who you are.

... maybe it's a combination of Ne/Fe

<3 spaceballs :)
What is also very impressive in the Carvey example, is that he can mimic them intellectually as well. He doesn't just have Obama's voice or mannerisms down, he has Obama's intellect down. Like when he said what Obama would say at the Berlin Wall. He knows Obama's "essence" in a sense. Inside and out. And he can apply it to nearly any situation.

That is what comedy is. You are mirroring something, and it has to be shared. There is some objectivity to it. It can't be totally subjective.

Reactions: mirrorghost

·
Registered
655 Posts
now that you've pointed this out, i totally see it! i can easily mimic people's mannerisms/types of voice and i often talk in a lot of weird voices in general, actually (around only my cat/certain people though :tongue: )

Reactions: FearAndTrembling

·
Banned
3,435 Posts
I think Se can do it as well, although the style might be slightly different. Both Ne and Se are excellent at improvisation. People always tell me that I'm amazing at doing impressions of people. I am acutely aware of body language and every little idiosyncrasy; there is not a lot that I miss, visually. It's very easy for Se to "mimic" what it observes. Also, you put an Se-ego actor in a room full of random objects and they will be able to create and perform a variety of different characters on the spot. I think Ne is similar in this sense.

You are right, the Pe functions do have a lot of similarities.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I particularly can't picture Ni doms being good at this kind of thing.
I dunno about that. Some of it may just be learned behavior. I'm not like a super impressionist or anything, but since I've gotten into acting, I'm more likely to do impressions.

For example, a few weeks back, I was on a binge of watching House of Cards Season 3. Somewhere around 3/4 of the way through, I found myself wanting to talk in a Frank Underwood voice and imitating his presidential hand movements. It was like his voice and mannerisms were embedded in my brain for a period and it was hard not to imitate them for the sheer joy of it.

·
Banned
3,435 Posts
@LostFavor

Something about your post made me giggle. I really want to do impressions with an INTJ now. xD

Sometimes my bf and I role-play (lol), and he always looks to me to sort of help him get into character, because, for him, it's so conceptual. It's like I have have to help him bring the character alive, physically.

If that makes sense. :p

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
@LostFavor

Something about your post made me giggle. I really want to do impressions with an INTJ now. xD

Sometimes my bf and I role-play (lol), and he always looks to me to sort of help him get into character, because, for him, it's so conceptual. It's like I have have to help him bring the character alive, physically.

If that makes sense. :p
Lol. :happy:

I can relate with your bf's struggles. Physicality is tough for me. Apparently stoic, subtle movements are not the only kind of physicality, as I am reminded all too often. :p

Reactions: Kintsugi

·
Banned
3,435 Posts
Lol. :happy:

I can relate with your bf's struggles. Physicality is tough for me. Apparently stoic, subtle movements are not the only kind of physicality, as I am reminded all too often. :p
It's pretty fucking hilarious to watch though. And adorable. xD

It's fun encouraing an Ni-dom to embrace physicality. They don't seem to mind the intensity of Se. I have noticed that other types kind of wince a little bit when I come at them too strong, like the energetic ball of unpredictable energy I am.

Instead,with INxJs, I get a little cock of the head, the hint of a cheeky smile, and a raised eyebrow...

It's quite inviting. :3

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
It's pretty fucking hilarious to watch though. And adorable. xD

It's fun encouraing an Ni-dom to embrace physicality. They don't seem to mind the intensity of Se. I have noticed that other types kind of wince a little bit when I come at them too strong, like the energetic ball of unpredictable energy I am.

Instead,with INxJs, I get a little cock of the head, the hint of a cheeky smile, and a raised eyebrow...

It's quite inviting. :3
Aww. :kitteh:

I can't speak for all Ni-doms, but I think for me, physicality is sort of like a guilty pleasure. It's hard to embrace it with energy on my own, but when the energy is being supplied by somebody or something else, I'm usually happy to seize the opportunity.

Reactions: Kintsugi
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.