Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to through my thought on this out there and specifically here in the INFJ forum because I personally as well as a good number of other people were pretty sure I was an INFJ for quite some time! But also I'd like see how the rest of you view the 'differences' in a way that helped you best objectively 'know' you'r preferences. I know some of you probably had next to no issue here and I'm jealous but hey we each have our pro's and con's regardless type.

I've come to really resonate with seeing the distinctions like the way I'm about to explain and it helped me immensely as someone with INFP preferences to really let go of that seemingly emotional grip I had on this beforehand that was clouding my objectiveness towards myself.

I view Ni from where I'm coming from as being able to bring an amazing multitude of ideas/theories into a single point or conclusion. Whereas 'I' view Ne as starting from a point and extrapolating away from it, coming up with many, many different ways it could or could not progress from there and viewing them all with their relevance even if some may be quite far fetched.....

Ni *Implosion of many ideas to a single focused point* / Ne *Explosion of many ideas from a point*. Namely getting rid of the stereotypes associated with people whom have either or preference and seeing whats truly at the root of the two functions.

Looking at it from this angle is what helped me a whole lot as a Fi/Ne/Si preference user to really SEE that HUGE difference between someone using Ni,Ti,or Fe that for whatever reason were eluding me for so long (which I find funny now).

I know there is much much more to this than what I've presented here. But it's what helped me, I'd love to see what helped other people or if they didn't even really have an issue here. Maybe explain why you didn't! Anyways thanks, and hopefully a part of what I said here can help someone that may be struggling the way I was.

Hope you all don't mind the post here, apologies if it seems unnecessary but I was a very torn INFP who couldn't get to the root of my own personal natural preferences and this is what really set me at ease.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Ni is more semantic or concerned with meaning, since it tries to inhabit the interior of the conceptual object. Whether this is even possible or not reflects the attitude that Ni has in trying to project itself beyond the reasonable limits of understanding. It uses symbols, but they're like wrappers or mental props, or a way of manipulating or suggesting what they are presumed to contain or represent. We want to see the implication of an idea for its own sake, not really because it does any specific kind of 'work'. But that's also not entirely true, because the 'work' we're concerned with is forming a sort of perspective or attitude about the abstract to begin with.

Ne from my understanding will try to find points of leverage by way of effect or a way how the abstract information might 'act' in a more objective way, which is why it's more about 'possibility'.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Hi, I'm an INXX, probably INTX.

Although I can do both, in this description you've presented I relate to Ni. At least that's how I understand things, I don't know I could be wrong, but when I ask someone whether something makes sense I try to relate it to other things, "yeah, but how does that work with that ?".

Other "shortcuts" I know for the functions are:

- Fi decides what is important quote "purely from an within".
- Fe decides what is important from what he finds other people find important.

- Ti is subjective logic, theoretical logic that can be argued, A + B = C therefore C - A = B is true, either makes sense or doesn't make sense.
- Te is objective logic, practical logic that can't be argued, A happened therefore A is true, either it happened or it didn't.

- Si makes one extremely aware of one's physical self. The introverted senses, taste, touch and smell, become extremely strong.
- Se makes the extroverted senses, sight, and particularly sound, much stronger.

I don't know which of them are true, this is only what I've heard. Based on this I would be Ni, Fi, Ti, Si so surely they can't be right, but this is because I usually say "I relate to both" in this situations. I don't know why I say this and others don't. But in case this is about the preference of functions I think I do more the ones mentioned above.

They are so confusing, why won't someone just come with a description "Ok this is what Si DO and Se never does ..........." , if you do that you're a Si user. "This is what Fi do and Fe never does ............" if you do that you're a Fi user, otherwise you're otherwise. And some straight to the point definitions or descriptions would be nice "Fe is that .... which Fi can never be" , "Ti is that ... which Te can never be". I haven't found any straight to the point descriptions for them yet.

What do you get based on the shortcuts ?

There are some basic stereotypes of every INXX that just don't work for me:

- INFJ are supposed to have a special ability to feel what the other people are feeling on an intutive level.
- INFP are supposed to be less analytical than than the other 3 INXX because they don't value logic as much.
- INTJ are supposed to be very hardworking due to Te, very orderly and punctual and very self-confident.
- INTP are supposed to just go with the flow and not have a goal or mission in life which is more Ni based.

EDIT: And the J-P preference alone. I like having a plan to what jobs I want to have and why, but at the same time I ALWAYS like trying new things and I find routine boring. Like the final point is always the same (J) but the road has to be AWESOME (P).

So how does these work in your case ? I'm dead serious, I didn't made this post as a joke. You said you "got out" of those stereotpyes behaviours, what conclusion did you reached about them and why ?

Reactions: Mac The Knife

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I guess what helps is to look at how the functions manifest in your personality. We all use Ni and lots of people are adept at "imploding ideas into a single point," but how much it defines who we are and how conscious we are of it differs.

Reactions: Mac The Knife

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ni is more semantic or concerned with meaning, since it tries to inhabit the interior of the conceptual object. Whether this is even possible or not reflects the attitude that Ni has in trying to project itself beyond the reasonable limits of understanding. It uses symbols, but they're like wrappers or mental props, or a way of manipulating or suggesting what they are presumed to contain or represent. We want to see the implication of an idea for its own sake, not really because it does any specific kind of 'work'. But that's also not entirely true, because the 'work' we're concerned with is forming a sort of perspective or attitude about the abstract to begin with.

Ne from my understanding will try to find points of leverage by way of effect or a way how the abstract information might 'act' in a more objective way, which is why it's more about 'possibility'.
I found you're first bit incredibly interesting, I technically understand how its working for you but what is so intriguingly alien for me is that it's a preference for you, I find it so beautifully different from what comes naturally to me! You pretty much hit the nail on the head with what you said about Ne, It will try it's hardest to poke metaphysical holes in anything, never wanting to except that anythings completely perfect or air tight *in a sense* A good example of well was going to be Ne but I realize it's insanely Fi as well.. regardless lol "me" being typed as an INFJ at first and being sorta, hrm... where are the holes here oh there, there, there, there, there, and so on because I was so distracted with these "stereotypical behaviors" associated within the two types I was poking holes in that. Wherein I should have been looking at what we are discussing here.

Thank you so much for the response I really appreciate it! *Going to re-read your first part probably a million times, in a good way!*

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess what helps is to look at how the functions manifest in your personality. We all use Ni and lots of people are adept at "imploding ideas into a single point," but how much it defines who we are and how conscious we are of it differs.
Agreed, being good at something doesn't mean it came natural at first!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
- INFP are supposed to be less analytical than than the other 3 INXX because they don't value logic as much.
First off, thank you for your response. Very intriguing, however! INFPs Fi can be used analytically in some ways. It's not that INFP do not "VALUE" logic so to say, it's that we will inherently find it's holes even if the holes themselves are very subjective to us as a person and us alone. Fi should have a different word imo, we'er associating "feeling" with (Feelings/emotions). Which isn't the case, it's a subjective judgment function we base on ourselves and how 'we' observe things.

That's why I'm finding it more and more silly to get lost in stereotypical associations of behavior along side types. There are far to many overlaps for it to be objectively helpful (Though I do find them FUN, but not productive so much). I just like to keep in mind the words like subjective, Intrinsic when thinking about Fi and in a lot of ways Ne as well.

I mean for example: If I felt like 1+1=3 and someone challenged it, I would ask for them to explain it. Detaching myself for a moment from any 'emotions' associated with my feeling judgment, If they explain it to me logically and spell it out showing me visually it quite literally can only =2 I wouldn't 'not value' the input. I'd very likely take that information in and process it against myself and everything else and accept it! If I don't find holes in the logic. Skeptical by nature and to a fault but in no way do I not 'value' logic.

Maybe I misunderstood your claim that INFP don't value logic, If I did I apologize and please explain further for me! Again thank you so much for your insight I love talking about this. ( I find more and more misconceptions about Fi all the time now and other functions but really Fi since it's something I personally have a natural preference for. :)

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
Or just observe an INTJ and an ENFP brainstorm together and watch the results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts