Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have a question to all the Ne and Si users when they go to a restaurant or a bar. So most Ne users that I know will usually try something new, and the Si users will follow their past experiences and will order the same thing time and time again and rarely try something new. Comments?

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ne notices hidden meanings. What does that have to do with that?

I would think Se users are more likely to branch out and try new things.
Most Ne users I find like to try new things too.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I love things that are new and different but the things I love, I really love so I tend to get them again and again because they're good..... I don't know..is that Si?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Ne is you sitting in a new bar, ordering a different drink, talking to a stranger about the ingredients in the drink, and writing down ideas you are hearing on a napkin. Si is your best friend that you convinced to go to the new bar, who set down the same drink they always order - on the napkin you just wrote your ideas on. They then tell you that they hate the new bar and want to go home.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Yeah, I like to try new stuff, but a part of me finds comfort in the familiar on occasion.

I used to go to the same coffee shop down the street from my work, and the employees would get to know the regulars & their drinks, making it when they see you. However, they could never do that with me because I rarely ordered the same thing two days in a row, or with any consistency. I also try and order without thinking much, or else I start to analyze and weigh pros & cons, trying to figure out the most ideal option. Then everyone around me is annoyed as I am taking too long. So I just spot something interesting, pick it, and figure if I don't like it, then I'll try something else next time. Live & learn :tongue: .

I can relate to this comment about IP types from Lenore Thomspon:

Like Extraverted Perceivers, Introverted P types understand outward reality by way of direct experience, and they may have similar resistance to limiting their options in areas that interest them.
Although with Ne, you may pursue novelty, but you don't perceive it directly. It's more like indirect fodder for the imagination. I never experience much in the moment, my mind is elsewhere, and yet a picture is formed from all of these experiences that come together at random moments as insights & ideas.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I can relate to this comment about IP types from Lenore Thomspon:
That's what I had read somewhere else several months back... That IxxPs use Ji as a 'filter' rather than using Pe directly.
That's what helped me figure out I was an extrovert :p

Although with Ne, you may pursue novelty, but you don't perceive it directly. It's more like indirect fodder for the imagination.
Exactly. That kinda goes with this: Extraverted Intuition
Ne is not just pursuing novelty, but it's seeing the unknown as containing new 'connections' that just haven't been found yet.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Likely I would try out something new, I'm already at a new restaurant, no? But I won't try something that I'm sure I won't like, and if I'm uncertain it can't be too expensive. The important thing to note is that Si will take the opportunity to tuck away certain memories of the restaurant and the food, and we often remember it years later. I would rank the restaurant after some internal standards. (Which could be "what's my favourite dish like, at this place?" :wink:)
- Filed sensory experiences.

Si isn't repeating things. It's used to make decisions in the present based on stored data. I say stored data because it's not exactly memories, more like keeping statistics as a template. Si users will have a good sense of what they like and dislike, but I want to try out new things like everyone else. I like new experiences. It feeds the template, anyways.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Likely I would try out something new, I'm already at a new restaurant, no? But I won't try something that I'm sure I won't like, and if I'm uncertain it can't be too expensive. The important thing to note is that Si will take the opportunity to tuck away certain memories of the restaurant and the food, and we often remember it years later. I would rank the restaurant after some internal standards. (Which could be "what's my favourite dish like, at this place?" :wink:)

Si isn't repeating things. It's used to make decisions in the present based on stored data. I say stored data because it's not exactly memories, more like keeping statistics as a template. Si users will have a good sense of what they like and dislike, but I want to try out new things like everyone else. I like new experiences. It feeds the template, anyways.
Can you relate to this?
"ISJs...don't believe for a minute that the universe is inherently rational. For these types, the outer world is a jumble of ever-changing perceptual experiences, dictating ever-changing behavioral responses. What ISJs maintain, and maintain unconditionally, is their priorities, which stabilize perceptual reality and give it consistent meaning."
Introverted Sensation (Si) is the attitude that what is manifest (apparent, observable) is overwhelming in its complexity and patternlessness, and that the only way we can find our way through it is with a map. To make our way through the unpredictable, we need to anchor ourselves in some way, to know what, in that vast chaos, to focus on.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Can you relate to this?
Yes...and no. Like, I believe the universe is rational enough, but had I lived 10 000 years ago, without science, the universe would have seemed irrational and quite impossible to grasp. Because Si gathers "sensory" information instead of patterns, I do feel the need to anchor myself with focus, maps, priorities etc. so I won't feel overloaded. Similar to how introversion gets overloaded with too much stimuli around.

It's a bit deep, though. Took me a few reads to agree to the overall message.

·
Registered
878 Posts

This is a pretty good explanation of my thoughts. If I'm at a new place I will definitely try something new, but it will be weighed against prior experiences. Like, if I know, for example, that every time in the past that I've tried something with, say, plum sauce that I haven't enjoyed it then no matter the what differences the sauce at this place may have, I will make the assumption that I won't enjoy the plum sauce at this place and would avoid a dish if it had the sauce. Now for all I know that sauce may be wonderful and I'm missing out on the one sauce that I would love, but on the balance of probabilities I won't try that dish (unless someone else orders it and I try some of theirs :D ). However, if I'm at a new place I will try something new (though it will be filtered by these sorts of past experiences) because that is how I build up my template of data. As Tucken says I will also file this restaurant or bar away under a catalogue of the experience. This will cover atmosphere, food, noise levels etc etc and in future if I want somewhere to go I will weigh it against any other options I might have and choose which one I feel most like on that day -- or if I want to go somewhere else new.

Once a restaurant ceases to be 'new' (ie somewhere I have been several times and tried a decent sampling of what they have to offer) I will usually have favourites that I will choose. If I am going to a particular place because I love one particular dish I will generally choose that one dish, but if it's an atmosphere I like, or the staff or whatever other reason then I will be more likely to have something new. It's all about which particular experience I want to have on any given day.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Most of the time I opt for the new thing over what I've had before unless none of the new things interest me or I've tried everything that I want to try. If it's a restaurant I've been to many times, chances are I will have tried everything I've wanted to try and so then I'll choose between a couple of favorites.

In general I think Ne types are more inclined to want to try something new while Si types will stick to the same thing. However, I think Se is more likely than Ne to want to try new foods at restaurants since Se seeks variation in sensory sorts of things. I do know some Ne dominant types who can be extraordinarily picky eaters when it comes to food. Kind of interesting considering how open they are to other sorts of things.

I figure there isn't much to lose by trying new foods. The worst that will happen is I won't like it and will want to spit it out and I'll lose a small bit of money. Not the end of the world. There's been a few times when I've been disappointed by trying something new but the vast majority of the time it's been a satisfying experience. When I'm with a group of people, we'll sometimes talk each other into ordering different things so we can all have a sample taste.

·
Registered
600 Posts
This is my mom and I right here. (Me = ENFP- Her= ISTJ) If we go to a restaurant we've both been to before, 9 times outta 10, I'll get something I haven't tried, and she'll get something she has for at least the last 2 times we've gone there. Foolproof, unless I talk her into trying something else for the heck of it, and when I ask her why she always gets something, she'll tell me it's because she's had it before. That whole Si thing goin' on thar, I see.:tongue:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I have an ISTJ friend I can totally associate some things to this.

Once he finds a good bar, he will only drink at that bar, always the same drink and always the same table. If on occasion, that table is unavailable, he drinks in a nearby table, but clearly upset.

I'm an INFJ, but I think I do that to a certain extent, but instead, I do it out of conveniency or lazyness. After all, dealing with new experiences takes a damn lot of trouble, and we already have a damn good option in our hands. Instead, I'll keep my options more flexible, but I'll look for that 'good place' always.

This ISTJ even cares about the background noise, the temperature of the beverage, the view from the seat and these little kind of things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts