I still stand by my judgement. Poor impulse control (a definite characteristic of Neal's) is an ENFP trait. He's an E not because of the manipulation, no, I-s can manipulate too, it can even be sort of a shield for them. I/E refers to where an individual gets their energy from and Neal always gravitates to people and obviously enjoys the chit-chat, something an introvert would abhor. It would not be sustainable for an introvert to be the frontman in cons.He is definitely an xxFP. While he is very likable, how much energy does he derive from deal with strangers? It's been ages since I've watched the show (watched season 1 only) so he might have changed or my memory may be off. I remember him being crazy in love with Kate, and hating authority. I think being able manipulate, convince people of something is different from being a flat out extrovert. He is very spontaneous, in the moment type (Se) but he is good at creating convoluted schemes (Ne). Hmmm
Yeah, good points, I mostly read that Neal could be typed as an ENFP or an ENTP, I hadn't thought about him being an ESXP but that is totally possibleThere are a few things in play here.
- He's a character, so he can change over episodes because different writers are writing him.
- Mozzie (INTP) is a big influence on him. He pretty much trained him to be more thinker-ish (flashback episode in S2 or S3 I think?).
- Sensors can reflect too. Do you really think all sensors have zero self-reflection skills? Less =/= not at all. However, he doesn't primarily self-reflect. He primarily creates things of a physical nature.
- People who type him as Ne dom thoroughly disregard his highly sensory skills.
He's an ESxP 3. His skillset is so Se. ENxPs with their inferior Si are not going to be creating flawless forgeries at an elite level. I mean, just think about all the things he does well.
He spends hours and hours doing this because he gains immense pleasure from it. This is his challenge - physical work. He thrives on this. Does any of this sound remotely Ne dom? He literally forges that stuff. Copy and paste. That's not Ne dom whatsoever.
- He's excellent with clothing
- incredibly talented painter
- incredible cook
- talented safe-cracker
- Excellent pickpocket
- can replicate paintings exactly. Even tiny stamp paintings.
- can create any art piece, when given enough hours.
I guess when I sees him as an ENFP or an ESFP it is mostly because of his more sweet, romantic and vulnerable side which we can see in some episodes (like when he escaped jail for Kate or when he gave up the treasure for his life in New York or when he got all sad to flee to Capo Verde) but, as Santa Gloss said, I guess that due to the fact that there were different writers on the show, Neal's personality was sometimes more emotionnal than on other times.I think he is an ESTP
Not sure where the Fi would come into play with him? (Which would discount ExFP).
I can see how people would throw out ENTP but its his Ti being seen. Exhibit A would be Mozzie is clearly an Ne user.