Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is recommended that you listen to this song while you write out your answer. Thank you. :)

Necessary Evil: Doing something that is morally wrong, yet is needed to get an important task done. An example of this would be people who studied and took care of abandoned baby cubs. They would feed them and took care of them, until they got old enough to fend for themselves... By that time, the people had to stop feeding them and began to abuse them physically. Why? So that the bears won't come up to wandering folks who are in the woods out of hunger in the future.

Killing another human is morally wrong, but if someone tried to kill you and your only way to stop it is to kill them yourself... That would be another example of necessary evil.

Now I ask you, how far would you go, as an INFP? Don't be ashamed and answer honestly. :proud:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Would defend myself. Would defend those I love.

On a less extreme note, I'm currently on the process of trying to not to care about the pain I'm inflicting on my mother in order to get her to realize that she needs to improve the way she treats me and people in general. Kinda late in life for this -- I'm 28 and moved out nearly a decade ago -- but seems like a necessary evil. It's truly painful to receive messages from her alternating between telling me that she's sorry for being my mother (but not saying she's sorry for what she did recently) and trying to show me that I'm an awful person. My pet INTP keeps me grounded, though, and she's getting me to tough it out until my point is actually made. But seems like about as far as I would go in doing a necessary evil -- I really need to drive this point across as it would probably be a very important and necessary lesson for my mother to learn.

But I'm rambling. Hope it helps.

Cheers.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hey perfect timing. Some dude just rolled up on my porch on my college apt knocking on my door at 1:30 in the morning. He was drunk as shit claiming he used to live here and wanted to look around his old place. I sympathized so much with him at the same time I had no idea who the hell he was and wasn't trying to let some random stranger in my house. Its sad because I would love to come back and visit this place years later, but I guess I now know how it would go.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hey perfect timing. Some dude just rolled up on my porch on my college apt knocking on my door at 1:30 in the morning. He was drunk as shit claiming he used to live here and wanted to look around his old place. I sympathized so much with him at the same time I had no idea who the hell he was and wasn't trying to let some random stranger in my house. Its sad because I would love to come back and visit this place years later, but I guess I now know how it would go.
I would say good call on that one over all.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You're essentially asking do the ends justify the means. Frankly it's impossible to answer that as it is too broad of a question. Would I defend myself or those I love if need be? Yes, if someone attacked me or my family you better believe I'd come out swinging.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
That is a very tough question indeed. And a very practical one for me too. Should I practice 'tough love' on the one I hold most dear, knowing that it will hurt her? Should I refrain instead, with potentially dire consequences? I have tried both, but my timing was way off and I learned a painful lesson.

I guess I am simply too soft to play games of this nature. I am still not listening enough to what my intuition is telling me.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I don't like the idea of "necessary" evil. I'm a pacifist. I would not physically abuse bear cubs or murderers.

First of all, though, I think it is necessary to define our terms.
necessary: vital
evil: intentional unloving act

So, using these words as I use them, no. I can't think of any situations where I would be okay with the idea of using evil, even for a good cause. The end never justifies the means.

If, by evil, you meant something simpler, like "causing suffering," then I might feel differently about this topic, since there are times when causing short-term suffering is necessary in order to prevent long-term suffering. I'm all for performing dental work on someone who needs it, or dragging a child across a street in order to keep her from getting hit by a truck.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I don't think killing someone in self defense is morally wrong at all. I wouldn't have a problem with it. In fact, I think that it's the RIGHT thing to do, not only because I am protecting myself, but because I am protecting future "victims".

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't think killing someone in self defense is morally wrong at all. I wouldn't have a problem with it. In fact, I think that it's the RIGHT thing to do, not only because I am protecting myself, but because I am protecting future "victims".
I second this reply, if you or someone you care about is in danger, you should defend yourself, and that includes the use of lethal force if necessary. I am all for warm fuzzies, but there are some real sick people in this world, and asking them to stop hurting you nicely doesn't always work out so well. However the whole killing concept is taken a little too lightly, its not the go to option as a matter of fact imho it should be the very last thing you do I.E no other option them or me type of situation.

http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Psychological-Cost-Learning-Society/dp/0316330116 is a good read on this topic.......................

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I may be something resembling a "tree-hugging hippie" but yes, I do believe that there are perhaps times when it is necessary to do something that is morally wrong or gray in order to protect others. Actually, I have had to do so in my job several times when I suggest a patient be evaluated for admission to a residential facility or hospital against their will. The person well and truly does not desire to be helped or feel that anything is wrong and I am suggesting that they be locked up to prevent them from harming themselves or others. I have patients whom I give shots to that do not want to be taking medication, but for whom it is necessary to prevent them from harming others or themselves. Actually, those ones tend to be the people who may hurt others or who already have.

For such things as using lethal force to protect me and mine, yes, I would be able to do so. I would feel immensely guilty because I would play the What If game, but in the long run I feel I would be in the right.

I was recently asked who I would choose to save between two very close friends if put in the situation of them being held hostage in two separate buildings on opposite sides of town with bombs that would go off in 10 minutes. (Yes, it was a reference to The Dark Knight) I feel that is also a necessary evil scenario because in order to save one, I have to let the other die. There was no option of saving both. Even though it was only a thought game then, I do not doubt that if truly presented with a similar situation of having to choose who I would help between them, I would still make the same choice.

I'm sure there are a few other examples, but it is not something that I am proud of and dearly hope and pray that I will never end up in those situations.

Reactions: Lad
1 - 10 of 10 Posts