Extroverted Feeling (Fe)
|||||||||||||||||
Extroverted Intuition (Ne)
||||||||||||||||
Extroverted Sensation (Se)
|||||||
Introverted Feeling (Fi)
||

So my Ti is on steroids, and Fi is in the negative.
What does this really mean? Am I unbalanced? About normal? Outright crazy? Or just a typical INTP personality?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read a lot of descriptions for both types, and INTP definitely seems to fit me more closely

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Maybe you're just experiencing a Ti-Si loop.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe you're just experiencing a Ti-Si loop.
Yes, very true. Would be better to think of these not as constants but as sort of a snapshot of how I am thinking at the time I took the test? The basic strengths and weaknesses are probably pretty constant, but the individual values for the cognitive functions would fluctuate a little bit depending on my mood or whatever at the time right?

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Yes, very true. Would be better to think of these not as constants but as sort of a snapshot of how I am thinking at the time I took the test? The basic strengths and weaknesses are probably pretty constant, but the individual values for the cognitive functions would fluctuate a little bit depending on my mood or whatever at the time right?
I would think so. My results fluctuate a lot, really - and remember that it's just a test. It won't tell you everything. A good start, in my opinion, is determining what set of cognitive functions you use. Ni+Se or Si+Ne? (I'd say Si+Ne, looking at your test results, but you're the only person who can determine it). If you're a Si user, you can't be an ISTP. Hope it helps :)

Reactions: Svensenberg

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
There's some pretty inaccurate cognitive function tests out there. You've got to be careful. I know that the test at PerC always seems to pick up on my shadow functions. O_O The keys2 cognitive functions test was a bit more accurate. It's best simply to study up on cognitive functions and try and self reflect. :)

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Those results indicate someone who continues to be ruled by their attitude (introversion), or at least in an environment that influences him to behave like an introvert. Nevertheless, everyone should instantly notice that there is no differentiated function here, in fact based on the results there may not be a function that has developed enough to reach a conscious state. I would say the OP is still too young to be typed or (sorry to say this) is quite immature. If you want to know your type, then determine your temperament preference here. But for the sake of argument, let's say you are over 21, then the results continue to indicate you are overcompensating in introversion, creating an imbalance.

To develop a function takes life experiences and doing enough to become habit. The only thing Dr. Jung indicates we are guaranteed is the use of extraversion or introversion. We may develop a judging or perceiving habit of doing things but never finite it to a specific function:
The products of all the functions can be conscious, but we speak of the consciousness of a function only when not merely its application is at the disposal of the will, but when at the same time its principle is decisive for the orientation of consciousness. The latter event is true when, for instance, thinking is not merely to ponder things or ruminate, but when its decisions possess an absolute validity, so that the logical conclusion in a given case holds good, whether as motive or as guarantee of practical action, without the backing of any further evidence. This absolute sovereignty always belongs, empirically, to one function alone, and can belong only to one function, since the equally independent intervention of another function would necessarily yield a different orientation, which would at least partially contradict the first.
For those who still use function first, can you please show me where evidence shows Dr. Jung determined the function will trump the attitude? "It's the attitude....". Commenting on the function is moot if it has yet to develop.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those results indicate someone who continues to be ruled by their attitude (introversion), or at least in an environment that influences him to behave like an introvert. Nevertheless, everyone should instantly notice that there is no differentiated function here, in fact based on the results there may not be a function that has developed enough to reach a conscious state. I would say the OP is still too young to be typed or (sorry to say this) is quite immature. If you want to know your type, then determine your temperament preference here.

For those who are still trying to use function-attitudes or cognitive functions by putting the function first, "it's the attitude....". Commenting on the function is moot if it has yet to develop.
How can you conclude that I am 'quite immature' based on the results of a cognitive function test? Rather rude of you.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
How can you conclude that I am 'quite immature' based on the results of a cognitive function test? Rather rude of you.
I did not conclude you were immature in particularly since I apologized before making the statement that may be the case. Yet the fact that since you did not give your age, does that mean you are still in your teenage years?

I was not attempting to be rude, but there are a number of things to take into account when taking this type of assessment as well. First we assume the assessment developer has a sufficient understanding of how function-attitudes work to actually write viable questions to get good results. Most assessments are based on the developers own biases, therefore answering the questions leads to poor results.

Second but more importantly, is the person taking the assessment must know enough about themselves to determine whether they truly are answering the questions accurately. Dr. Jung says not only can we not type others, but I assert that we struggle to type ourselves for the same reasons as indicated here. But if the two obstacles are overcome, these sort of test cannot determine one's type. There are principles in place to indicate that someone using INTP for example, will use Ti-Ne-Si-Fe. That does not change. What does change is us. We all have in us to do something great in life, but most of us do not reach that stage because external circumstances influence us greatly. It is the reason that Dr. Jung encourages us to reach individuation and not be influenced by the collective unconscious, thus most will never determine their own type because of these influences. As I have repeatedly said, these sort of assessments at best can only tell us what function-attitudes we are presently using to handle current circumstances, but it does not mean we are that type or we use the function-attitudes in that order. Take the test in a month and the results change, in 6 months, a year and so on they continue to change because function-attitudes are fluid, not static. Ti is not going to help me get through an event calling for Ne, Fe, etc and because Ti is my most differentiated function I have a greater chance of developing Fe than Te since at least Fe is compensatory with Ti. Te can never be developed since it is also judging function. That is where balance comes in.

But back to my point, those results you indicate will have changed by the end of this year. For now they indicate you are imbalanced because of too much introversion or as I will maintain for now, you have yet to develop a function. With Si and Te so high, you could just as easily be an ISTJ type or at least be influenced by something calling for someone to use ISTJ like a job or dealing with a great deal of work calling for detail.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am still pretty new to Jungian analysis and psychology in general, and I apologize if I seem to be oversimplifying things and believing that I can take a few online tests and know exactly how I tick. I am 20, so not a teenager anymore but still quite young. This was just the results of the cognitive functions test that is on PerC, and it was pretty silly of me to post results and expect to find out for sure what my type is. This same general pattern has shown itself in most function tests I take however

I do like to think that I have a good sense of myself, and I was interested in seeing how other PerC members who are more experienced in analysis would interpret my results. Recently I posted a questionnaire that was a little more in-depth than the test that gave me the results that I posted here. I do agree that I have something of an imbalance in my life lately and that is most likely a good explanation for why I have a high level of introversion, but I know fairly well what my strengths and weaknesses are in a general sense.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I am still pretty new to Jungian analysis and psychology in general, and I apologize if I seem to be oversimplifying things and believing that I can take a few online tests and know exactly how I tick. I am 20, so not a teenager anymore but still quite young. This was just the results of the cognitive functions test that is on PerC, and it was pretty silly of me to post results and expect to find out for sure what my type is. This same general pattern has shown itself in most function tests I take however/
Then I defer back to my original assumption that you have yet to develop a function preference and you are most likely still depending solely on your attitude of introversion. If one argues that since you have a high preference for Te and Ti, then it concludes you are most likely a thinking type then they are basing it on a function and not taking into account that these two function-attitudes are completely different. The lack of Fi and Se could be telling, but you also lack Ne. These results indicate you could just as easily be an ITJ type.
I do like to think that I have a good sense of myself, and I was interested in seeing how other PerC members who are more experienced in analysis would interpret my results. Recently I posted a questionnaire that was a little more in-depth than the test that gave me the results that I posted here. I do agree that I have something of an imbalance in my life lately and that is most likely a good explanation for why I have a high level of introversion, but I know fairly well what my strengths and weaknesses are in a general sense.
You should not dismiss the fact that the assessment developer’s own biases or insufficient knowledge of how function-attitudes work may come into play. To obtain the function-attitude one uses cannot be done by asking questions such as whether you prefer logic. Both Te and Ti prefer logic but unlike Te, Ti does not focus on objects or purely on concrete evidence. It is subjective no matter how much the Ti dominant type wants to believe they are being objective. This also means Ti will focus on the abstract. MBTI focuses on the functions to result in a forced dichotomy and a code. Jung does not do this, thus answering "T" questions still cannot determine whether you prefer Te or Ti.

As far as asking others to help type you, just be warned that you will get more results that are based on how the person sees type, therefore the responses will be laced with biased perceptions. In other words, not one can type you. You have to do that yourself.

·
Registered
454 Posts
@Svensenberg Try this test. It's more accurate but the downside is you have to add up your own points: http://www. p e r s o n a l i t y n a t i o n .com/ jungian-cognitive-functions/6324-alternative-jungian-cognitive-functions-test.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts