Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, this is long a long and annoying story but this seems like the best way to get good, unbiased, advice.

I'm a female INTP, and I'm having some trouble understanding the behavior of a male ESTP. If you have some insight into this situation and could give me some advice I'd really appreciate it.

The ESTP and I attend the same university and have lived on the same floor of a building (which is how we met) for a year. That whole year of living together he would flirt on and off with me. I liked him, and he was trying to get in my pants so I assumed he liked me, but he didn't ask me out. Finally I got impatient and asked him out. He said he was too busy for a relationship, but continued trying to get in my pants with no success. Summer came around and we went our separate ways and didn't talk anymore. I was irritated with him, he was a ghost, and I started seeing someone (that relationship didn't last past the end of the summer).

Fast forward to this semester. He had a girlfriend for several months and they broke up midway/somewhat late in the semester. I had made a point to avoid him since I myself wouldn't appreciate it if a guy I was dating was talking to a girl from his past. He contacted me the night they broke up and wanted me to come over. I said why the hell not. So I went and we ended up deciding to be friends with benefits. I had been considering trying that kind of thing out and he needed a way to help pull him out of the post-breakup slump.

This worked for about 2 weeks and then he was suddenly "tired" or "too busy", etc. when I would reach out. He also stopped reaching out to me. I kept trying for a few weeks and just got more and more frustrated. I wasn't sure what his problem was and he was in no hurry to tell me, so I decided to cut my losses and move on. The semester ended, and I assumed he was gone for good.

Then, just the other day, he contacts me again. He wants to know if we can go back to hooking up next semester. I told him that ship had sailed and told him why (see everything above). He said he was depressed because of the failed relationship and that walking away was just how he handles things. We went back and forth about it but essentially he ended up telling me that he's just really confused about who he is and that no one is really there for him.

Does this sound like he's just manipulating me? Is he genuinely confused and hurt? What do you think would be the best way to handle this? Advice is more than welcome!

Thank you!

·
Registered
687 Posts
He's not confused or hurt, just frustrated and grasping at straws for ways to keep you "warming the bench"

He's a manipulator, and not a very good one, in my opinion.

Reactions: ShadowCat

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
He could be confused, but he can be both confused and manipulative. Cut your losses and keep him at a distance.

He sounds immature and just sees sex/relationships as one in the same, or just a toy or game he plays with until he's bored and starts over with something (someone) else. It's up to you if you feel like you can help him out or really decipher if he's being genuine or find ways to help you find out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts