Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends, got a question for you on what I should do in regards to school.

Here is the summary:

I've been with my girlfriend for 7 years this November. We want to move in with eachother in a year or two. Right now I'm taking a break from college to pay off some debt so we can make this happen. I got my Associates Degree this last June, but I want to finish my bachelors in either English, Human Resources, or Liberal Arts, but I havn't settled on which I would like to study. My dilemma remains mostly in deciding what to study to have the best future and where to go because the location of the school will either cost me more or save me more money.

Which sounds like a better option to you and why:

A) Go back to a previous college that I went to to get my bachelors in English that would take 3 years.
Pros:
I would also automoatically have a minor in Env. Studies due to previous courswork.
I love the campus and always have.
The college is cheaper ($298/credit) than option B or C ($375/credit).
I am really interested in English.

Cons:
It is 55 minutes away from where we would like to move to.
It is 45 minutes away from my job.
I would have to go part time and It would take 3-4 years.
Books are a seperate cost.
English classes are mostly during the day and sometimes in the evening.
Not sure what I would do with a degree in English yet.

B) Go to a new school to get a degree in Human Resources or Liberal Arts in an accelerated program that would take 1.5 to 2 years.

Pros:
The college is 10 min. from where we want to move to.
The college is 30 min. from my current job.
I could take one class at a time for four to five weeks and then move on to another, year round.
Finished in 1.5-2 years.
Evening and night courses only.
Job market looks better for HR.

Cons:
The college is more expensive, but includes books in the cost ($375/credit).
It is a luthern college. They require one religious course and I'm not very religious. (For some reason it really bothers me that it is a religious campus)
It would be the fourth college I've been to.
Not sure what I'd do with a Liberal Arts degree yet.

C) Go to a new college (same as B) to get a degree in English in a regular program that may take 3-4 years.

Pros:
The college is 10 min. from where we want to move to.
The college is 30 min. from my current job.
I am really interested in English.

Cons:
The college is more expensive, but includes books in the cost.
It is a luthern college. They require one religious course and I'm not very religious. (For some reason it really bothers me that it is a religious campus)
It would be the fourth college I've been to.
Most of the courses are not night courses and would be hard to juggle with work.
Not sure what I would do with a degree in English yet.

Thank you to anyone willing to read through this and help me out!!!!!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
You have a very difficult choice ahead of you! I would hesitate to give advice on such an important decision. But have you thought of weighting the categories below - and giving a rating for each of these attributes for each school? You can multiply the rating by the weighting and aggregate the score for each school. At the end of the day both our personalities follow our passionate whims, but I think this helps put whats important to you in perspective.

Distance from work
Distance from where you want to live
Length of time to get certification
Course Hours
Potential Job Market
Cost
Passion/Interest

And btw, congratulations on moving in with the girlfriend!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts