Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I would appreciate anyone's help they can offer in helping me figure out my Enneagram type. I've taken the test a few times and each time I get something different (1, 3, 5, 8) so maybe this questionnaire will help.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I have in the past taken the test a few times and I have scored 1, 3, 5 and 8, so I don't particularly have a type. But I relate to all these types in some way.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

More than anything, I'd have to say that I yearn for autonomy and success. I'm not sure of how to offer an explanation for the autonomy, but it's been more of an urge I've had to not want to be controlled or micro-managed. I work much better on my own with my own freedoms. As far as success, I guess I just want to know I've made something of myself, though I'm sure it is selfishly motivated as well.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I felt at my finest when I wrote fashion pieces for a regional publication years ago. I think I felt that way because: a) I had autonomy in my job. I was trusted to do the job on my own and motivate myself to do it well and I did a very good job at that. And b) People respected me and looked to me as the "expert" on my subject matter.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

I feel inferior (and a bit angry, to be honest) when I'm called out on a mistake, no matter how small.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

I usually tend to be more of a pros/cons list person. I'm also known to analyze something to death before acting sometimes. Other times (usually if I know I don't have the luxury of analyzing) I'll be almost impulsively decisive.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I like to have control of the outcome, definitely. I'm a big researcher. The research aspect of the process is a favorite, then execution. Although, I do tend to want things to be just right and if I have to present something, I'm often reliving that presentation over and over and critiquing myself after the fact.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

This was a tough question for me. I actually had to ask my husband when was a time I had a lot of fun, and he told me he also couldn't think of a time. I'm not very expressive, so maybe that's why. I usually am pretty even keel at parties, etc. and I have a really hard time being in the moment. I think I enjoy the ideas or memories of things more than the actual thing, if that makes sense. But I'd have to say I get the most pleasure out of researching or learning about something I'm interested in.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

I'm kind of a mixture of hands on and theorizing mostly, I would say. But I've been known to memorize as well.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

I can be very organized and very messy. The times I am messy are the times I get very lost in my thoughts or projects I'm working on. I get really frustrated when that happens because I'm not one of these people I hear about who live in "organized chaos" where everything looks like a mess but they know where everything is. When my surroundings aren't organized I have no clue where anything is. My main preference is for a neat, organized home and office, but sometimes my mind prevents this from being the case.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I would say I do both.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

Both, but the former is something I acquired more as I got older. The younger version of me was not very thoughtful toward others in these terms. The latter has been more constant, though sometimes I don't feel safe to show my true self in social situations.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I do both, but I probably speak before I think more.

I prefer one-on-one communication, and I like group conversation if it is a small group of 5 or less people.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I tend to like to look before I leap. I have had my moments of impulsiveness in the past, but it's not typically my way.

Actions speak louder than words, for sure.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

It depends on the mood and how social I have been that week. I usually dislike doing something without planning ahead but I also enjoy the company of my friends and may want to take the opportunity if it arises.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

When I'm stressed, I get easily annoyed and I have a very short temper. My husband has witnessed some of my infamous stress induced blow ups in the past.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

I don't like when females are too girly (talking in a high pitched voice, trying to seem helpless, laughing like an idiot at stupid things)-- not sure that that is necessarily a personality trait, but I sure have seen it in a lot of grown women. I don't like when people talk about their feelings too much/start crying or ask how I feel.

I don't like being interrupted when I am in the middle of sharing a thought. I don't like people getting in my way when I'm trying to get something done. And I hate when people patronize me or come to sweeping conclusions about me based on one thing I've said.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

I have a bit of a bad habit of always wanting to talk about whatever thing I'm researching or interested in at that time with people. I've realized over time that people are generally bored by the things I think are interesting though so I try to police myself and watch out for when the eyes begin to glaze over.

I also have a pretty good sense of humor that I share with my friends so if I'm not doing that, we are talking about something funny.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

Exercise, sleep and my physical surroundings fall by the wayside a lot. Those things are very important to me though, they are just the things that wind up getting neglected. I'm in a constant battle with my brain, it often feels like. It overwhelms my desire to keep these things up with my latest project and/or obsession. The physical surroundings is the most maddening, as I've mentioned before that having an organized house and office is very important for me.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

Different friends would probably perceive me in different ways. I'd say that some perceive me as sweet and unassuming, while others perceive me as overbearing and/or overprotective, while others perceive me as the one who bends over backwards to help, while others see me as the one who offered help for something they didn't want or need help with.

I have a bit of a chameleon quality with people. I tend to be what I know will work in that relationship. With more dominant types of friends, I often deny any dominant tendencies in me and hang back a bit (I get a bit angry with myself for doing this) and I tend to let my dominant freak flag fly with my more submissive friends.

I'd say they are all wrong about who they think I am, but then they're not getting the whole scope of me, so it's kind of my fault.

The one thing they'd never say about me is that I'm a sloppy dresser. They'd also never peg me as the over-enthusiastic cheerleader-y type.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

Researching to my heart's content. Taking an online course in something that has caught my fancy. Planning something for the future. Ordering in my favorite Thai food and drinking a glass of wine. If I feel more like getting out of the house, going shopping for half the day and spending the other half doing all that research/ online course taking/ planning at Starbucks or at Barnes & Noble.

Thank you all in advance for your help

1 - 2 of 2 Posts