Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I really need your help guys to determine whether I am INFP or not. I really really do. I want to see how much can you guys connect with me.

I am in mathematics and am quite sure that I have a strong Ti. But sometimes I really suspect that I might be an Introverted Feeler.

I have problems forgiving, very much. If a person does something bad to me, I never forget it, and I keep thinking about it and I may fantasize strongly about taking revenge.

I find it hard to express my needs or wishes without aggressivity, so what happens is that I remain passive to avoid troubles because certainly people won't accept my aggressivity, and what happens is that in the end I explode with absolute cruelty.

When thinking about the past there is a lot of resentment, and this overloads me with feelings of insult and anger that really paralyze me. I never forget insult.

For instance at home I treat my father harshly because I don't forget the mistakes which he made with me in the past.

I am angry and hurt at a lot of things, and I want revenge. Is that introverted feeling? or what is it?

I remember that during childhood I found the feeling of empathy to be torturing so I decided to shut it off. I did it by imaginning myself doing cruel crimes.

I hate to be the victim, and I realize now that I sometimes do harsh stuff so that I compensate for this feeling.

Thank you, and please reply and help me.

·
Registered
595 Posts
ugh doesn't sound that INFPish but I don't know, did you take the test?!
Also look into Enneagram types and do the test. I was thinking you could be a counterphobic 6 because you might be scared deep down so be aggressive and you said you hate to be the victim. (Phobic = appearing unharmful) (Counterphobic = appearing brave/a threat to fears) but look into it, you find out what you are.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sure of being a 6 in the enneagram.

Tests usually give me INTP.

I do feel things that could be attributed to introverted feeling but I cannot express them, or resist or... don't know.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Regarding your strong Thinking, when I took the test I had a strong Thinking too and my Feeling only slightly outweighing the other. What made me choose an INFP was, firstly, I read several INFP descriptions and it seemed to fit me very well, almost immaculate you could say. But as I learned more I though that the main reason was because of how I react to something and what I make decisions based on.

When something bad happens to me, I usually get stroppy and say stuff based on how I feel, and the way I react is based on how I feel mostly. I also make decisions based on how people will feel, react and perceive it emotionally than what is logically the best option sometimes. So the way I percieve the world around me and make an action is based on my emotions and other peoples emotions rather than logic and efficiency. If you get what I mean. Hope I helped anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mattylad the problem is that I don't understand the INFP descriptions, what does ideal mean? How to determine whether a wish is an ideal or not?

INFPs want to become their TrueSelf? What does that mean? I really don't get it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Hm, I'd assume it means INFPs have strong and very somewhat crazy ideals. Regarding the TrueSelf, I'd guess that means they want to become what they see is an ideal person and become spiritually fufilled? I think it's a term used, one that I'm not too familiar, you're probably better asking someone else regarding that. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Uhhh..I guess you could be an INFP.though I don't see anything about your description that says INFP to me..Can't see myself ever imagining taking part in any cruel crimes though. I think at some points i have under a lot of stress but I felt such horrible guilt for just the tiniest thought of actually hurting someone.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Infps could certainly have the qualities you described, but the qualities you described are not characteristics of Fi. Victimizing youreslf and holding onto past hurts, and adapting a defense/aggresive attitude out of feeling victimized, are problems some unhealthy infps have due to undeveloped Ne to see from other's points of view. However, I wouldn't be surprised if an intp could have the same characteristics if their Ne is undeveloped. Anyways, this is not at all what Fi is like, what you described. If you think you may be an infp you'll have to give us more to go on than that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Maybe check out INFP blog, and see if any of the posts resonate with you. Reading INFP blog helped clue me in to my missing sensory type when I got as far as IxFP for my MBTI type, because I relate to it far more than I could from what I read about ISFPs.

Also, I found it insightful taking this Left Brain / Right Brain quiz, because I would imagine it's quite well possible to be a more logical INFP or a more creative INTP.

In my case, assuming my results are even partially accurate (since a single test taken once is nowhere near a reliable sample size, and that's also assuming the test itself is a good indicator), it turns out I'm 51% right brained (i.e. I'm almost 50/50 left/right brain), which would explain why I had trouble determining my type with regards to the typical left brain/right brain associations with each type.

EDIT: Also, the cognitive functions test here is the one that finally tipped me off to being an INFP, because my really strong Ne and mediocre Se meant I was far more likely to be an INFP.

EDIT: Thanks snowbell! I probably should have mentioned that the writer of INFP blog is, in fact, an active member on PerC. :)

·
PerC's 6w6
5,874 Posts
To expand on Wayfarer's point, the writer of INFP blog is here - INFPblog is his username

Mattylad the problem is that I don't understand the INFP descriptions, what does ideal mean? How to determine whether a wish is an ideal or not?

INFPs want to become their TrueSelf? What does that mean? I really don't get it.
Ideals in my mind = how you wish the world (inner or outer) to operate, and it is shown via values and beliefs. For example, an ideal of mine is that one should always be kind and honest and avoid hurting others. So that in turn manifests itself in my not taking actions that would involving me hurting others, or being mean to them, etc.

Another ideal is that one will be free to express themselves without judgment. That translates to a value that one shouldn't judge others, and should instead allow others to be themselves, so if i see someone doing that I react negatively and would seek to provide comfort/aid to the person being judged, via whatever means.

Those principles, beliefs, values, "triggers" that you hold onto - I think those are your beliefs, and how they are implemented and how you wish them to be seen in the world are your ideals.

Probably a terrible definition :/. Perhaps you can take the test at mypersonality.info and that could explain more. Also look at what test you also come up as (if you border somewhere) and then see if the description of that fits you (for example, if you also class as ENFP from time to time look into ENFP and see which description suits you best). There is no right or wrong answer

Or ask yourself this: what is it that your father did to you that upset you, and why did it upset you? That way you can work backwards and see what belief/principle may have been violated, and what the ideal is. As I understand it, INFPs wish to manifest the world they believe in (be it in the mind or in the real world) into reality. So if you want people to be loved, you will show love to all you can. If you want people to have clothing you will make a plan for that. etc.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
@InferiorFunction: I don't think having a fling for mathematics is really hard proof that you have strong Ti. Ti means so much as: preferring to judge or evaluate pieces of information through subjective (=belonging to the subject at hand) logic. It means you don't have to be super intelligent, thus it means you don't have to be great with mathematics. You being great with math means just that: you're great at math. You're probably intelligent but that doesn't mean you're Ti.

Intelligence is not reserved for T-doms or any type. Anyone can be intelligent.

As @adverseaffects has said, what you described in your first post is not really telling whether you're a dominant Fi or Ti user.

Also note that INFP and INTP differ greatly considering their inferior function. After you're done reading all the sources linked by people before me, read this one: http://personalitycafe.com/infp-articles/76770-recognizing-inferior-function-ifps.html (I'm too lazy to check the INTP forums if there's an ITP version in their article section).

*edit: The inferior version of a function is not just a 'less conscious' function or a 'less expressed and practiced' function - in summary, it is more like a child-like and sensitive version compared to it's dominant function. When people have problems typing themselves, it is not unusual that they settle through finding out their inferior.

Good luck :3

·
Registered
20 Posts

TrueSelf, I think, involves being able to lovingly accept who you are and not feeling worthless/depressed because of it. I think a TrueSelf INFP would then able to move on to external/nonpersonal matters using their NFP mind powers. Ghandi has an awesome quote that embodies my definition of TrueSelf... "Be the change you wish to see in the world." -Ghandi

Of course, there will be a lot of time self-reflecting, but I think that an INFP who expresses their TrueSelf makes one negatively question who they are less because their ideologies match with the way they work/play/live life.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I don't know if you're INFP, but I can relate to your post. When I was younger I had a lot of anger due to feeling that I was mistreated by others. I think it's good to try and overcome the anger as soon as possible. It took me a long time to do and I still feel it sometimes, but I realized that there are a lot of good people in the world and I became less angry at humanity.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I did a test for cognitive functions and got Ti as the highest score, followed by Ni, than Si, than Fi. Pretty introverted right!

I am not saying that based on the fact that I am good at math, I have good Ti, I didn't say that. But the way I approach mathematics is pretty Ti like. For instance at high school, I used to read all the proofs of the theorems in the book, even if they are not required. At college I am quite slow because I spend a lot of time checking the theory instead of just applying the theorems. I ask a lot of questions of the sort: "what right one has to...?", "to be able to make this deduction using this theorem, don't you need to have so and so to be able to apply the theorem in first place?". I think that I am a slow but deep thinker.

My ideal world is a world in which mathematics reigns, and all the fields are studied technically. I think I should be given the right to express myself, but I don't worry a lot about this being applied to everyone. If for instance that I see that a teacher likes me, but is being unfair with someone else, I don't care. But I get hurt when I am the target. So I am pretty selfish you can say. But on the other hand I am quite dutiful, and have a very high integrity: I rarely lie, I don't do something unless I am sure I can do it of the best quality...

There is someone which I love, but I keep blaming myself for it, because I think the person doesn't deserve it. So I feel anger at it (I want to hurt it), but the feeling goes and I feel some love: i.e I imagine myself hugging the person. I tend to equate love with hug, and sacrifice. When love is real, one should suffer while trying to serve the person, and completely ignore ones needs. That's an ideal that's in my head, but I find myself not able to apply it. Quite the contrary, I find myself attentive to my needs, and still find a need to maintain minimum principles. I don't bring my needs up to the person, but in the same time feel resentment for not having them satisfied, and later on I appear aggressive.

Besides, I am very polite, but my friends perceive me as a dry person. I can be pretty blunt. For instance I remember at school once telling the teacher in front of the class that he talks a lot.

Oh and I just recalled that I had a terrible dream this night about love. My cousin get sticky at me due to her love towards me and I get smothered, it was a really torturing dream. I remember though that years ago I had her in a dream in which she touches me and her hand is really cold, so I shouted. By the way she is 10 years younger.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't relate to your original post that much, I never think about revenge and if people have hurt me I try to understand their perspective rather than wanting to hurt them back, of course their are always exceptions and certain people have been graced with my dark thoughts.
Though you sound like you suppress your Fi and I would assume you're a thinker.
Concerning maths, I always excelled at the subject when at school but absolutely hated it, I preferred the freedom of subjects like art and English, that's just me though.
Have you tried testing your shadow type?

This is just my opinion and I'm quite new to this site so don't put much significance on what I come out with :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
My results were infp. All letters were moderate except for n, it was in the clear part so maybe I could be something else too.. I dont really know but I can relate to all of your post except the getting revenge part and the shutting off empathy part.
I am actually working on my problem right now.
Im just forgiving people cause i believe that rage can destroy you and thinking about it really wont solve it no matter how many times you go around it in your mind. Just be kind to those who have hurt you. When you are seeking revenge, it's like you're become them. I still feel sad though even after forgiving.
I feel like I can't control what I feel but I can control what I think now. Before I would keep thinking about things done and said to me and I would get so angry and didn't know what to do about it, i felt like my my heart was on fire and I still do get that feeling but I dont hold it against them anymore. I didn't know why people were always trying to be so cruel to me, a few times I told myself that maybe I should do the same thing back to them but then I felt so sad and started crying because it's really hard for me to be mean to people intentionally. It was like i was angry at them but didnt want to do anything mean to them. I come off as a mean person a lot but it's because I become really irritable sometimes at home and aloof elsewhere, I dont even realize I'm being rude sometimes until someone tells me I am and I feel really bad because I don't mean to. I come from a home with a lot of verbal abuse and if you don't live like them then you are less than them and they will keep picking on you. My brothers likes to call me the n word and ugly and stupid, I get so sad because I don't know why they say that stuff to me, I try my best to be nice to them too.I'm not even african american but I just feel like that's a hate word and I really can't stand when people use it. It's really not that I believe some of the stuff they say about me anymore it's more because I dont understand why they don't like me so much. Before I thought it was all true and I felt really worthless because if thought that if they're saying it then it must have some truth but then my youngest brother moved in and they said the same stuff about him so I just stopped believing them and started wondering why they don't like me.

Also ,You really should think about if you want to get revenge someone or not. Cause revenge Is like you become them even if you don't intend to. That's another thing that really scared me when ever I wondered about revenge. I would never want to be like the people who have hurt me. Never. Just think about how it hurt you and do you really want to inflict that kind of pain onto someone else? Even just doing it In your head can be bad because you might accidentally do it.

I'm sorry for typos, this is being posted from iPod touch and it's really hard for me type on it.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Well I did a test for cognitive functions and got Ti as the highest score, followed by Ni, than Si, than Fi. Pretty introverted right! [...] By the way she is 10 years younger.
First of all, I apologize for my assuming that you were assuming considering Ti and maths. Little complicated to put it like that, but I think you know what I mean. ^^;

As for the rest of your post, I think you mostly judge things by how you feel about them rather than how they logically make sense to you. In the end, you have to remember, both Feeling and Thinking are rational processes - they just go different ways about reaching a judgment. Though rationality and logic are closely related, they are not the same, and that's where a lot of confusion comes from.

Seriously have a look at the link about the inferior function I gave in my previous post. I think identifying the inferior by behavior is more reliable than trying to identify your type by the dominant in cases like yours. It's quite a read, but worth it word for word.

1,636 Posts
Hello guys,

I really need your help guys to determine whether I am INFP or not. I really really do. I want to see how much can you guys connect with me.

I am in mathematics and am quite sure that I have a strong Ti. But sometimes I really suspect that I might be an Introverted Feeler.

I have problems forgiving, very much. If a person does something bad to me, I never forget it, and I keep thinking about it and I may fantasize strongly about taking revenge.

I find it hard to express my needs or wishes without aggressivity, so what happens is that I remain passive to avoid troubles because certainly people won't accept my aggressivity, and what happens is that in the end I explode with absolute cruelty.

When thinking about the past there is a lot of resentment, and this overloads me with feelings of insult and anger that really paralyze me. I never forget insult.

For instance at home I treat my father harshly because I don't forget the mistakes which he made with me in the past.

I am angry and hurt at a lot of things, and I want revenge. Is that introverted feeling? or what is it?

I remember that during childhood I found the feeling of empathy to be torturing so I decided to shut it off. I did it by imaginning myself doing cruel crimes.

I hate to be the victim, and I realize now that I sometimes do harsh stuff so that I compensate for this feeling.

Thank you, and please reply and help me.
Erm - ill be honest - that doesn't say much about you being any type. This says this about you: you are an angry person who holds grunge towards people.
You don't seem so soft-hearted but on the other hand that's only a stereotype of Fi maybe.
Why do you think you are Ti user?

Also if empathy was torturing to you - i would say you are inferior with feeling functions aka you reject them.

And i don't think that's an introverted feeling - it's an anger and it is a feeling - but ti must be very tiring for you to be angry all teh time and not being able to let go of things. You know...not everybody else have to respond for mistakes they made towards you, especially not your father. He done his best job and parents make mistakes. Why don't you move your life in a better direction instead of holding on to the past? We all make mistakes - i think you should ask yourself is it even ok to hold grunge like this, cuz you are obviously not without flaws either...being this angry and impulsive i believe you are not exactly the most beautiful person in the world.

I am very sry if i was rather harsh on you now...but i think you just clicked a few buttons in my brain with your sentences.
It is only my opinion after all - i had the best intentions to be honest!

Also - when i was younger i was rather angry myself and i felt very hurt when someone would do harm to me - i was thinking about revenge but it was only a thought - i never did anything about it - but i felt mad very often. But i wasn't holding grunge that intensely and for that long.
My deep desire was actually that people who hurt me show at least a little bit they are sry and show some kind of an apology so i can move on to it and forgive them - i didn't like holding grunge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Erm - ill be honest - that doesn't say much about you being any type. This says this about you: you are an angry person who holds grunge towards people.
You don't seem so soft-hearted but on the other hand that's only a stereotype of Fi maybe.
Why do you think you are Ti user?

Also if empathy was torturing to you - i would say you are inferior with feeling functions aka you reject them.

And i don't think that's an introverted feeling - it's an anger and it is a feeling - but ti must be very tiring for you to be angry all teh time and not being able to let go of things. You know...not everybody else have to respond for mistakes they made towards you, especially not your father. He done his best job and parents make mistakes. Why don't you move your life in a better direction instead of holding on to the past? We all make mistakes - i think you should ask yourself is it even ok to hold grunge like this, cuz you are obviously not without flaws either...being this angry and impulsive i believe you are not exactly the most beautiful person in the world.

I am very sry if i was rather harsh on you now...but i think you just clicked a few buttons in my brain with your sentences.
It is only my opinion after all - i had the best intentions to be honest!

Also - when i was younger i was rather angry myself and i felt very hurt when someone would do harm to me - i was thinking about revenge but it was only a thought - i never did anything about it - but i felt mad very often. But i wasn't holding grunge that intensely and for that long.
My deep desire was actually that people who hurt me show at least a little bit they are sry and show some kind of an apology so i can move on to it and forgive them - i didn't like holding grunge.
I like your post, I really do. The thing is, since I have my empathy shot, I don't mind having others have their feelings hurt, unless this has a negative consequence over me.
Pretty selfish Fi, right?

I think you missed my last post, I suggest you read it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts