Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Entp brother has become increasingly harsh on himself due to his "natural" weaknesses. You know, the general absentmindedness, the kind of thing that makes him lay things down then forget 5 seconds where he put it, lose school papers, forget assignments, and procrastinate till the last possible second. This of course has damaged his grades in school and he has come to frustrating conclusion that he is a helpless idiot. Which anyone who has known my brother(or at least bother to get to know him) would realize is complete rubbish.

As his sister I'm worried about him, I love this guy to death, but he seems to be growing more and more moody as the days go on. I can tell he tries but it's as though school itself is demanding that he be something he is incapable of being and judging him by his ability to conform to this standard. I too went through this and realized early on that I couldn't change things I should just be myself and be happy, my brother on the other hand has taken a completely different turn, he's gotten moody and angry and very self judging. I can't stand this, His normal cheerful joking self is disappearing and I all I want is to get the old guy back.

Any possible help I could get from some mature ENTP's out there would be wonderful, I just want to know what I can do, even if it's nothing but be there for him...

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Sounds like he's a Si-Fe loop, happens when we're under stress. We lose sight of the bigger picture, get bogged down by details, and get pretty insecure and sensitive. He's got to find where he fits. I say direct him to this:

ENTP.ORG

In particular this paragraph:

"During youth, the ENTP may be diagnosed with a variety of ailments and conditions which often emerge as a lack of intellectual engagement. Boredom is the bane of the junior ENTP. Generally immature until their late 30s or early 40s, the young ENTP is a socially awkward animal since they rarely fit in with the herd, and require 40 years to comprehend why this is and what to do about it."

This should help if he actually is an ENTP.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
This was one of the reasons I found MB so useful: the realisation that my dreadful faults were actually counterbalanced by something quite special.

Your brother's problem seems to be his S-J schooling system, to me. I would want to see more attempts at inspiration and intellectual stimulation and less bullying over untidy or missing notes. Nobody should expect people to be what they are not. Trying is...a liminal experience, and that is very painful.

Whateva. I would relax about it. We usually rationalise our way out of this unhappiness in the end. In the meantime if it helps to reassure I actually went through a lot of hearing tests as a kid as always forgot assignments and the teachers thought maybe I was just deaf...had homework returned with "I refuse to mark something this untidy", found myself on stage twice with a poem to read or some script and only at the point where I had to open my mouth and say the thing did I realise that I had no idea what it was I was supposed to be saying, hadn't really thought about it, and had to walk off stage to get help......and I graduated summa cum laude and seem to be making some reasonable success of my life, and I'm happy.....

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've been struggling with the same issue for some months now but I'm finally, solidly, on the uptick. Here's why:

- I started using lists. Every day I make a list of the shit I need to get done and then hold myself accountable to see it through to completion.

- I cleaned my room. Having a tidy space is sometimes underrated, but I cannot stress enough the beneficial effect it can have on a scattered brain.

- I started exercising regularly. Not anything super hard - even a walk around the block can be refreshing enough to help me refocus.

- I started watching what I eat. Nutrition = good health = general good mood

- I sleep for several hours every night.

All of these things combined have improved my relationships and my self-esteem. Seeing as you're his sister, I don't know how much power you have to help him adopt these kinds of habits, but... they work. Under these circumstances, the ENTP mind is easily capable of doing twice as much work as a normal person in one day.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciated your answers :3 I read my brother the "ENTP personality profile" on here and showed him your answers. The change that came over him was actually pretty impressive, he seems kinda relieved actually XD Apparently his forgetful and absentminded behavior had led him to believe that he had some kind of long term mental block that would never end, or "some kind of disease that was eating his brain" LOL (Jk ;) )
He looked at me and said something along the lines of "Seriously? So everything that's been wrong with me is just my personality type o_O So then, no pressure right?" or more like he adopted the attitude of, "Don't blame me, I was born this way "troll face" " -_-' (le me)

Anyway, thanks guys, really thanks a lot XD Now I just have to convince my brother that there is a real viable reason to train him self now that there is no chance that a flesh eating amoeba is in his head >.> (he has just told me that he can't stand my little emoticons but I refuse to remove them muhahahahahaha XD XD XD )

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciated your answers :3 I read my brother the "ENTP personality profile" on here and showed him your answers. The change that came over him was actually pretty impressive, he seems kinda relieved actually XD Apparently his forgetful and absentminded behavior had led him to believe that he had some kind of long term mental block that would never end, or "some kind of disease that was eating his brain" LOL (Jk ;) )
He looked at me and said something along the lines of "Seriously? So everything that's been wrong with me is just my personality type o_O So then, no pressure right?" or more like he adopted the attitude of, "Don't blame me, I was born this way "troll face" " -_-' (le me)

Anyway, thanks guys, really thanks a lot XD Now I just have to convince my brother that there is a real viable reason to train him self now that there is no chance that a flesh eating amoeba is in his head >.> (he has just told me that he can't stand my little emoticons but I refuse to remove them muhahahahahaha XD XD XD )
Tell your brother that there is nothing wrong with him. Most of us have gone, or are going through what he's going through. It's a perfectly normal state for an ENTP to be in. Accepting yourself for who you are, and maximizing your strengths as you understand them, while minimizing or enhancing your weaknesses is the key (as with most things in life). @Boxter9 had some good ideas in his earlier post.

If it makes him feel any more normal lemme tell you what's happening at this very second in my ENTP life. I have a paper due tomo when I go into class @ 2pm. I have to work @ 8am though and I'll be taking a 3 hour lunch so I can go to class. Now I haven't even started on the paper yet. I'm planning on doing a few minutes of work for it tonight over the next few hours ... then going to work with almost no sleep .... then using some time while I'm at work to finish the paper ... just in time to go to class and turn it in ... of coarse that entire process will start as soon as I decide that I "feel" like getting off this forum and doing something ... which prolly won't be for at least another half hour (it's almost 1am here BTW)

Reactions: Guru007

·
Registered
6,146 Posts

Yaknow, you weren't supposed to be happy about my reply, you were supposed to go all rawragabalegrgaghbah!
And I was all prove it!
And then you prove it.
Then your brother sees.
Family moment.
And then I ruin it somehow.
But nooooooooo.
You had to thank me. Pfft.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
yeah... about that dude. When I make a list I forget the list.

I hate cleaning my room.

I do watch what I eat, go down my throat.

I stay awake at night(sista says it's cuz of smosh...and my diet sucks) well she's right bout smosh. lol

butt I do ride my bike every day.

and also, I'm too young to adopt things, I mean don't I have to be at least 21, you no wut never mind lol.
Really?
I adopted a bunny once.
I ate him.
Kidding (or am I?), you can adopt, just need a parent's permission or something.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
yeah... about that dude. When I make a list I forget the list.

I hate cleaning my room.

I do watch what I eat, go down my throat.

I stay awake at night(sista says it's cuz of smosh...and my diet sucks) well she's right bout smosh. lol

butt I do ride my bike every day.

and also, I'm too young to adopt things, I mean don't I have to be at least 21, you no wut never mind lol.
You're also a young INTP .. your opinion is irrelevant here.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yaknow, you weren't supposed to be happy about my reply, you were supposed to go all rawragabalegrgaghbah!
And I was all prove it!
And then you prove it.
Then your brother sees.
Family moment.
And then I ruin it somehow.
But nooooooooo.
You had to thank me. Pfft.
:tongue: Haha, sorry for ruining your master plan for family moments XD If it makes you feel any better When I read I was like "whu? oh no, he did not just go there!" XD

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
oops, sorry my personality type said intp it is supposed to be ENTP,lol.. at least my sis cared enough to make this thread.thank yall for posting.
LoL .. welcome to our world man ... pull up a seat ... you can be you by other people like you in here. Gotta watch the little details like that though. We are an observant folk. And we like to argue, so opportunities to start one are rarely passed up.

I am seeing that join date as well for the record :p

Reactions: IAmMe2010

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
oops, sorry my personality type said intp it is supposed to be ENTP,lol.. at least my sis cared enough to make this thread.thank yall for posting.
Smoshfan, kindly make a right turn at spam world, I believe you will be right at home there ;)

Unless of course you guys are really willing to take him under your wing...

·
Registered
186 Posts
@IAmMe2010,

He sees a conflict that must be resolved, and he cannot figure a way to resolve it. This may go on either until he decides, or it's decided for him that the problem itself no longer matters, or until he comes up with a viable solution. So here are three options : Help him devise rational solutions to his problems, or let him work it out on his own, or wait it out.

Potential solutions: Absentmindedness is most likely a result of his dreaminess, or dom-Ne. A time device may be used to remind him of things such as take homework - perhaps a PDA or some type of warning system. More practically, you could have him buy a pad of sticky notes and plaster them to his forehead. Sometimes making conscious effort to remember something does the trick.
Procrastination is universal, and no thanks to the fast-paced world around us. There are many philosophies and methods out there for getting things done. Too many to name.

Edit: There was this interesting trick to reminding oneself to get something done I read once. You take a piece of paper and write the things you need to remember to do. Then you hold the piece of paper until those things are finished.

Reactions: IAmMe2010

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
Now that he has accepted this MBTI business as fact, tell him about Si and how developing that function will allow him to get over the whole absent-mindedness thing. Oh how enlightenment sets you free!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts