Personality Cafe banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and really relieved to have found it. I'm 26 years old and finishing college. I have 2 years left to go... so I use the word "finishing" in more of a wishful way. I'm studying techincal writing. Writing is my passion and I am an INFJ in every sense of the word.

For the past 8 years of my life, my work life has been hell. I somehow went down the path of being a hair stylist. I fell into it. My senior year of high school, I had enough credits to graduate early. It was a spur of the moment decision to go to cosmetology school half of the day while I was a senior in high school. I hated it from day one, but my parents would not let me quit because they had a very foolish rule (but it made sense to them) that once you start something, you must finish it no matter what. I was really devastated. This career path has caused me a lot of depression (and financial stress because I was never able to support myself well in it.. it's very hard to make money in this field because it's oversaturated and it's even harder if you don't absolutely LOVE it).

So right now I am in school full time and I am not doing hair, but I am torn because I need to be making money and I feel ashamed that I am 26 years old and I really don't have a career path. I feel I should be further along than I am now. This makes me feel like a failure. I can't stand the idea of going to work in a salon again. The problem is, it's not just that I hate it, but I also have the disorder known as BDD. Mirrors are my worst enemy. This disorder is really misunderstood, but let's just say it makes my time at work even harder.

I am unsure of what to do.. should I try to start freelance writing like it's my job and really treat it like it's my business? I want to start earning real money. I just know that if I go to work in a salon, my mind will not really be there. I feel bored intellectually in a salon and like I just want to scream.. the environment is also too overstimulating (noise, too many bombardments from people, etc, I don't like dealing with the public). I have walked away from the industry before and said I would never go back to it, but I always end up thinking maybe I should go back to it.. but then I do and I hate it and it's a vicous cycle. I just don't know what else I can do to make a living because I feel so underqualified.

Please help.. I feel like I'm losing my mind and I really would appreciate some sound advice from an outsider's perspective. Thanks in advance!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.