Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading tons of information on personality types for a couple weeks now. I have a general idea of what I am, but not very specific, yet. I will try to list many of my traits and maybe you all can help me pinpoint a couple that might fit me. Thanks.

1) Very analytical to the point of utter confusion at times.

2) Seen as directionless by others

3) Very sociable at times, but love my alone time also

4) I like a clean house and car, but I tend to not be very good at the maintaining part.
By this I mean I will buzz through the house to make it spotless, but 3-4 days later
I will have shoes and clothes in random places and dishes in the sink. Start cycle over.

5) This drives my wife nuts: I reach for the first piece of paper when I have to notate
something. For example, when the phone rings I will write a number or notes on some
random scrap paper, even on a piece of mail!

6) I love learning new things just for the sake of learning.

7) I used to be very worried about whether people liked me or not. I still feel this way
sometimes, although I have gotten much better about this. This feeling will never completely go
away though.

8) When I actually do find a career job, my hypothetical desk would most likely be pretty organized
most of the time, but I will most likely slack off on the clean part and have to clean it again.

9) Thinking back to when I was in school: I used to love getting all new stuff to start the year.
Having new notebooks, textbooks covered, new pens, etc. was cool. I would be Mr. organized for about
a month or two then I didn't care anymore. At times my backpack would look like a tornado went off in
it. Papers everywhere, pens and pencils in every pocket, notes would be random as hell and hard to
understand for others.

10) I think about things all the time. Random stuff that seems to stay up there forever until I feel like
the problem is solved!

11) I get super excited about new things, ideas, job ideas and then I get bored after awhile and want the
next "high".

12) I am always planning to do stuff, but may or may not get around to it. For example: I have been
wanting to try a triathlon for about 10 years, but I still have yet to do one. I will do one though!

13) I am a ham at times and completely stand-offish at other times. Maybe this is because I have been
struggling to find the real me.

14) I hate mundane tasks and work. My belief in work is it isn't worth doing unless I feel a passion for it.

15) I am somewhat of a dreamer. I think about things and how they could be made better. For instance, I
am a huge proponent of alternative energy and other sustainable ideas. When people tell me it is
not yet possible or we will always need fossil fuels, I say why? We went to the moon within ten years
so why can't we achieve this?

16) I am very passionate about my beliefs. When I get set on something, I am like a bull. I can be
argumentative, but I am really just into the subject and enjoy an exchange of ideas.

17) I am pretty good with managing money, but if I have paid my bills and other essentials (i.e. savings,
food, gas) I have no problem with blowing through the remaining on random stuff. I am not a person
who saves every penny just for the sake of saving. I see money as a tool to enjoy life.

18) I am very athletic. When I get into the mindset, I get kinda obsessed with keeping healthy and in
shape. But as with other things, I go through phases of obsessed and slack off, obsessed and
slack off.

19) When I go to the gym, I just do stuff. You will not see me with a log book or doing the exact same
routine every time. I kinda just go until I sweat, my heart-rate is up and I have that pumped-up look.
Don't misunderstand what I am saying, when I get into the mood, I work out like a madman.

20) When I am having a life issue, I usually am calling someone to talk it out. My wife and I have been
having some issues (about my life direction :dry:, ironically enough) and I have already called
five friends to discuss it. I guess you could say I am an open book in some ways.

21) I am not really a social butterfly in the sense that I always have to be where the crowd is, but if
I am feeling a place or if i am in good company, I could stay there all night and thoroughly enjoy
myself.

22) I would much prefer to get along with everyone and have a good time. With that said, when someone
makes me mad or when someone insults me, I will let them know it. I used to be very timid about
most things, but one day I got tired of allowing other people to walk over me and shifted my thought
process to stand up for myself more. I think I may have swung the pendulum too far the other way
though and would like to become more centered in this area.

23) I love to travel and do adventurous stuff. I want to go zip-line through a jungle, parasail, rent a jeep
and drive through the jungle, mountain bike, dive into a lake from a forty foot cliff etc. BUT, I have no
desire to sky-dive, bungee jump, basejump or anything considered taking your life into your own hands.
I would also love to backpack Europe and hopefully I will make that happen one day.

24) I am a pretty good listener and a really good conversationalist when I want to be. If I am in good
company and we are on an interesting topic, man I can talk all night!

25) I am a pretty loving person and I genuinely care about people and the world. I like to show affection,
but my wife gets her feelings hurt if I am watching a good show or researching on the internet and I
am not paying attention to her. She loves me to rub her head, but she always wants me to do it at the
wrong time and I tend to get annoyed and hastily do it to shut her up.

So, I think this is a pretty good start about who I am. I could probably list 25 more if I wanted to, but the list
is already long enough. A couple things that I would like to bring to your attention: I had a head injury at age 3 that caused me to be deaf in my right ear. I struggled mightily throughout my younger years with not wanting people to know and those I did tell made fun of me sometimes. Not many people outside of my
family believed me. This hurt me very deeply. I also had another head injury at age 17 in a football game. My career ended that day. I was rushed to the hospital because of brain swelling and loss of vision. After that injury my parents said I changed. I become much more agitated, aggressive, hasty, irritable etc. This all was due to the injury, but this is a part of my past so I feel the need to mention it. I hope that I conveyed why I am in a weird place in my life. I truly want to find my true self, but I wonder if these injures have caused damage to the point where my true self has been clouded. Going from being very docile and sweet as a younger person to very aggressive and short-tempered as a late teen/early 20's person is not normal. Maybe a psychologist or doctor on this board could share some insight on this issue. Thanks to all those who read my insanely long post.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I could relate to a lot of that, though I'd keep my thoughts open and just say you're most likely an NP...in fact, I'm pretty confident that you're an xNxP. You might be more likely to be an xNFP.
You could try looking at the ENFP and INFP personalities first. If it's not either of those, then perhaps ENTP or INTP?

9) Thinking back to when I was in school: I used to love getting all new stuff to start the year.
Having new notebooks, textbooks covered, new pens, etc. was cool. I would be Mr. organized for about
a month or two then I didn't care anymore. At times my backpack would look like a tornado went off in
it. Papers everywhere, pens and pencils in every pocket, notes would be random as hell and hard to
understand for others.
Also, it's funny how you put that...I can totally relate to that xD
I love having a new start and I love getting all my school supplies together and putting them in the places where they belong and just getting organized and whatnot...It energizes me, but come one month later!;I can't find a damned thing :dry:

1) Very analytical to the point of utter confusion at times.
That too...I confuse myself and become convinced that I'm just making no sense at all...it's horrible!

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know I am on the right track with this

because I have pinpointed one of the four as my type (ENFP, INFP, INTP, ENTP). It's interesting that others see me this way after my post. Here's my dilemma; I feel relatively strong in both feeling and thinking and introvert and extrovert categories. I am almost certain that I am an N and P. There really is no debate on that one.

What is bugging me on the introvert/extrovert issue is I like people, I like good conversation, but I usually don't care for huge parties, I may or may not be into small talk, I usually prefer a discussion on something stimulating, I like alone time, but too much will bore me, I love talking on the phone, but sometimes I am weird face to face, I share my emotions pretty openly and I need to retreat to recharge my batteries. After i retreat though, I want to join the action again. I don't feel like I am a strong introvert or extrovert.

As for the Thinker/Feeler one, it is kinda the same as the previously discussed paragraph. I can certainly rationalize things using common sense, but I am very passionate about things I believe in. I usually use my feeling trait to make a decision. Ex. I want to go out to eat one night: How do I decide? I usually say a burrito sounds good tonight, I want that! or man, I could really use a juicy hamburger! I don't know, to me that says feeler more than thinker. I can't think of a thinker example off the top of my head, but I definitely am capable of using that side as well.

·
11,928 Posts
You could still be an extrovert, and as a feeler, you can definitely still use thinking. I'd go by cognitive functions, though. If you're an ENFP, you'll have Ne as your dominant function and Fi as your secondary. Something about your descriptions seemed to put off Ne dominance. You definitely seem to use Fi also.

That's extroverted Intuition(Ne)>>Extraverted Intuition
This is Introverted Feeling(Fi)>>Introverted Feeling

If you think that you use Fi first and Ne second, then you're probably an INFP. And if you think that you use Ne first and Fi second, then you're probably an ENFP.

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You seem to have taken special interest in me NyX

I appreciate that. I see that you are an ENFP. Do you have some kind of gut instinct telling you I am also an ENFP or in a similar family? I get the impression that you are trying to guide me because you maybe see something that I cannot yet see. Is my writing giving off a certain vibe? Thanks for your personal message, but I cannot respond until I reach 15 posts for some reason.

·
11,928 Posts
Your traits that you posted gave me the idea that you're probably a dominant extroverted perciever. That means you're most likely either ESP or ENP. But you've figured out that you're more of a feeler who has a handle on their T function. That would leave us as EFP which would make sense because you also seem to use Te a bit and because I also see Fi. You're adventurous and you love to explore and learn, but it doesn't seem like it's for the reasons an Se dominant would...it's Ne. Therefore, ENFP :happy:
And also, you said you love new things...ENPs love new things(Ne again), it makes them excited and happy!
Besides this, I could honestly relate to a lot of that...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Haha you sound so much like my ENTP friend...so, you guessed it, I'm PRETTY SURE you're an ENTP...just based on what you're telling me.
ENTPs are full of ideas and are excited and passionate about life.
ENFPs are also...but there is a difference in the feeling aspect. ENFPs feel and can sympathasize with others (can be compassionate towards or really feel for someone who may be having a hard time or had a pitfall) but may not overtly "show" it. The tertiary function of ENTPs is Extraverted Feeling...so if they are in a room with people they will try their best to match the mood, go with the flow, and treat others with politeness and "show" their feelings. (Laugh, giggle, smile, do things for others).
Other things about ENTPs...I'm pretty sure they LOVE arguing and exchanging or bantering (I think that's the word?) about ideas. They love to solve problems or think of creative spins and ideas to any challenges or problems.
I know my ENTP friend gets bored very easily and always go out to seek new and challenging things to do. They have "phases" where they get in depth with one subject or area of interest, learn all there is to or as much as possible, and go on to the next new thing. Might I add I personally think she is very bright and intelligent.
Anyway...that's my guess of your type. Keep looking into things and see what you match best. Good luck! :)

·
11,928 Posts
He said that he's struggling to find the real him, though. That sounds more ENFP than ENTP imo xD

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Hey tigerman, one bullet about yourself intrigued me. You like to learn for the sake of learning. This is very indicative of a perceiving preferred personality: you get energy by reacting to the world around you. I'm a judger and when I learn something, I have to be to pull something from it.

Try to figure out if you energy comes from outside or from within yourself. That too will help you determine whether you're an extravert or introvert. Introverts can be talkative, not to mention energetic, but usually that is when they're charged.

Extraverts that are charged will be less inclined to talk to people.
Introverts that are charged will be more inclined to talk.

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies

It makes me feel good that people are actually taking the time to read my stuff. HaHa, I said feel! I wonder if using certain words is indicative of a preference? I am really glad I stumbled across this site. There are some really good folks on here and it's fun to mingle with like minds.

1) I think there is little debate that I am an NP, although there are times when I can become rigid to the point of being anal. Deep down I hate when this happens and I quickly try to correct this. I read somewhere that P's are very adaptable and can mirror many different traits based on the situation. True?

2) To expand on the comment I made about enjoying learning for the sake of it, I am not the best doer. I always have projects that are half-done. This drives my wife crazy! There have been many times where it is my turn to clean the house or whatever and I look for every reason to put it off until the last minute. I will do it, but it hardly ever gets done on time.

3) I drive like a grandpa now. Friends and family always rib me on this one, but I don't care. I tell them who cares if I'm 5 minutes late. What's the big deal! I am a 30 yr. old who looks 25 so I guess a dude driving 5 miles below the speed limit who looks 25 is a little weird!?!? Part of the reason I drive slower now is because I always have something on my mind. Being in la-la land, I guess you could say.

4) Something that struck me about ENTP and I think INTP is how they delve into a project like a madman for awhile and then POOF!, all of the excitement is gone and they move on to something else. This describes me to a T. I mean when I read that, I had a smile from ear to ear. It's funny how a trait that might be a perceived weakness in certain circles makes you beam with pride in a way.

5) I'll tell you another thing that I read that totally floored me. I found this book at Barnes and Nobles about Personality Types, which I took great interest in. I eventually arrived at the ENFP section and read this type is much more common in females. What it said next really hit home: male ENFP's tend to mask some of their natural traits due to societal stereotypes. They are really sensitive and caring people, but will go out for football to appear macho to the rest of their peers. Insert baseball, wrestling, MMA, if you like. Point is, I did this growing up. My dad played college football and coached his entire career. He was always so damn authoritative growing up and I was very quiet and mellow so we had a pretty bumpy road for awhile. He decided to smack a little tough guy-ness into me by making me go out for football. The problem was that he wanted me to be a defensive end (one of the guys who likes to plaster people) and I hated that. I absolutely hate hitting people and hate getting hit. I wanted to play quarterback because I had a good arm and I knew that position is where I just fit. I like football for the mental game. I like to improvise and try to read coverages. I don't hit people unless provoked. I eventually won out and played Quarterback throughout highschool. :) Anyway, that statement about ENFP men trying hard to fit in makes perfect sense to me. I'm not a wet noodle or anything, but I have a very deep caring side and I have no trouble expressing my emotions. I rarely ever cry though.

6) So why are male ENFP's rare? Are there more of them, but they are in hiding or something?

7) Another trait about ENFP's that I am having a little trouble with is how they are supposedly champions of causes. This statement strikes me as the PETA type or Women's Rights type or some other cause. I am not like this because I find those people to be really annoying. Now, I am VERY passionate about things I believe in, but you aren't going to find me going door to door or grabbing a megaphone to shout some lunatic chant. I choose to show my passions in less "public" ways. If this is an ENFP hallmark then I may not fit. I'm sure some of you could share some insight.

8) This is a continuation of #7. When I believe in something, I will debate with anyone to the point of hairsplitting. I am totally engrossed and usually having fun, but this trait is often misunderstood as being difficult or abrasive or annoying to many. Knowing that I am like this and thinking back over the years, I was sometimes so passionate in an argument that I would get louder or even appear mad to others. My mom always said I should be a lawyer, but to be honest, that job would bore the hell out of me. I took a law class in college and it downright SUCKED!

9) I have a very smark-allecky side to me. I don't mean to start out this way, but I get really annoyed when people make bonehead statements over and over.

10) I literally am disgusted at how shallow and mindless so many people are today. It seems really difficult to find a person who is stimulating enough to carry on a lengthy conversation with. I am the guy who will bring up Politics, Religion, Current Events, Opinions because I know it is taboo. I do it because I get tired of stupid pointless conversation and I have a rebellious streak in me. :) Never talk Politics or Religion...yeah right!

11) I hate all of this politically correct crap these days. My outlook on life is there will always be hard subjects to discuss/overcome so why does everyone try to run from them? How is the world going to improve if no one talks about the problems?

12) I sometimes have a quick temper. Never a fist-fighting temper, just a temper. It will come out of me in a flash and then after I cool off I will feel bad and go apologize or hug it out. Unless, I have a right to be mad of course. :p

13) I am always thinking about deep subjects: Why are things done this way?, Why does the world have to be this way?, why can't people put aside their petty differences?, where am I going in life? Stuff like that.

There is some more insight into who I am. I'm hoping by adding a little more each time that we can nail this down. Thanks all.

·
11,928 Posts
Something that struck me about ENTP and I think INTP is how they delve into a project like a madman for awhile and then POOF!, all of the excitement is gone and they move on to something else. This describes me to a T.
That is basically just an intuitive perceiver trait, in general xD

Another trait about ENFP's that I am having a little trouble with is how they are supposedly champions of causes. This statement strikes me as the PETA type or Women's Rights type or some other cause. I am not like this because I find those people to be really annoying. Now, I am VERY passionate about things I believe in, but you aren't going to find me going door to door or grabbing a megaphone to shout some lunatic chant. I choose to show my passions in less "public" ways. If this is an ENFP hallmark then I may not fit. I'm sure some of you could share some insight.
They call us the inspirers...the champions. Really, I relate that to the fact that as an ENFP, you will feel passionate about certain things and you'll have something inside of you that drives you for change related to whatever it is you're passionate about. I have no idea how many ENFPs are actually activists...but I think the only thing to take from that is the passion for certain causes and the idea that there is a way in which things could be different.

You still seem perfectly ENFP to me...those other traits don't contradict that :happy:

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know, the reason why I may be having more trouble than others at pinpointing myself is because I got caught up in "society's rules" for awhile. I suppressed my true self, I guess. I remember being a very caring and sensitive child and even as a late teen I was like this. Something flipped when I got to college and I tried to be this macho dude, but it always felt weird. I always felt edgy. I miss that laid back, pleasent attitude I used to have. I feel this site is really helping me to sort some long standing issues out.

Oh..one more thing I forgot to mention. My musical tastes are varied, but 90% of what I like must have a meaning and a certain feeling to the song. I hate heavy metal, hard rap, really hard rock even. My favorite bands are Journey, Bon Jovi, The Script, The Fray, Augustana, The Eagles, I love old school Motown, Marvin Gaye, Commodores, Smooth Jazz, Trance. They say musical tastes says alot about a person so what do you make of it?

·
11,928 Posts
I'm not really too sure about that; I suppose what you said about music could solidify the idea that you're an Fi user.

You should talk with ENFP males in the ENFP section. I hear lots of them saying things like that or about how they feel uncomfortable being NF males...
...or have you settled on something yet?

·
11,928 Posts
If his descriptions of his traits gave off introversion to you, then a lot of people who classify themselves as extroverts would really be introverts...

·
Registered
44 Posts
If his descriptions of his traits gave off introversion to you, then a lot of people who classify themselves as extroverts would really be introverts...
I am using extravert, intravert in the jung sense, where those terms are used to describe the direction of the libido. Do yourself a favour and go read Jungs work on psychological types then maybe you will know what youre talking about.:crazy:

·
11,928 Posts
I am using extravert, intravert in the jung sense, where those terms are used to describe the direction of the libido. Do yourself a favour and go read Jungs work on psychological types then maybe you will know what youre talking about.:crazy:
I've read that...He doesn't seem to use a judging function as his dominant, though. Plus, he uses Te...
I can see that he's definitely an Ne user, but because he uses Te, I would think he's more of an ENFP. Plus, he also uses Fi, but he still seems to use Ne as his dominant function rather than as his secondary. I just don't know why you would think he's an introvert xD

1 - 20 of 24 Posts