Personality Cafe banner

Need something new to learn...

[ENTP] 
1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  chittychitty LightNING 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm in learning mode right now and I'm looking for something new to study. I figured you ENTPs would be the perfect group to ask, so...

What's a good topic/subject to learn about?

Right now I'm big into psychology and marketing, so anything involving that would be cool. But I'm literally up for anything on any subject.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

#4 ·
Psychology and marketing? Hello, Behavioral Economics. Freakonomic, Malcolm gladwell, oh and Tim Harford, the Undercover economist should get you going with the basic fun reading.

I'm a huge fan of game theory too, but I can' think of any good, accessible literature on the topic.

#5 ·
@bigtex1989 - Game Theory definitely interests me. I've glanced over it a bit, but I really haven't been able to find good information on it either. Maybe the people that understand it best don't want that info to become public knowledge.

@carfacce - Yeah I used to play poker allll the time. I've gotten away from it lately. I read a ton of the books: Super System, Sklansky's books, Harrington's, Phil Gordon, etc.

Understanding Comics looks interesting. I'll have to check it out.

@bellisaurius. I haven't gotten around to reading any of Gladwells books but I have a good idea about their messages. I should probably just jump into one. Same with Freakanomics. I haven't read it but I used to subscribe to his blog. Undercover Economist looks good.

#7 ·
I can't bring myself to focus on reading anything for more than 10 consecutive minutes. Then I'm exhausted. Any tips there? Lot of stuff I'd like to learn but my mind won't permit it. I read -> 5m later my mind starts drifting while still reading -> 5m later I found I read 3 paragraphs and have no idea what it was I just read - but I do know I want to listen to that track I've had in my head, so I go do that and forever forget about what I was reading.

My brain's a goddamned firestorm!

#9 ·
I can't bring myself to focus on reading anything for more than 10 consecutive minutes. Then I'm exhausted. Any tips there? Lot of stuff I'd like to learn but my mind won't permit it. I read -> 5m later my mind starts drifting while still reading -> 5m later I found I read 3 paragraphs and have no idea what it was I just read - but I do know I want to listen to that track I've had in my head, so I go do that and forever forget about what I was reading.
Non-fiction. And don't be afraid to write the crap out of the margins. Non fiction since you can read it in a chapter by chapter fashion, so attention span is less relevant. Write in the margins because it keeps you involved in the book, and if you go back to it, sometimes your own comments (even, or especially the funny ones) get you started where you left.

#8 ·
Haha... this never fails. Learn to count cards. Its time consuming and you wont regret it.

#11 ·
How about genetics, genotypes, haplogroups, etc. You can talk about the boring superficial tests to see if you're a bitter or non-bitter taster, to the question whether R1b was from the iberian peninsula, and that all R1b's at the time were part of a socio-cultural group, before migrating.

German Philology is pretty cool, and how languages evolve and alter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.