Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally realized I am a INTP type person. I'm currently looking for a new job and also I am going to school. Just getting my Associate degree right now from the community college. Still not sure if I want to be a Software Engineer. But anyways I am wanting to know what is a good short term job that will fit my personality and also one that won't require a degree.
I ask this because if I get a job that won't fit my personality I think I will be miserable and won't enjoy it.
I would like to know what long term careers are best for INTP type personalities. Thank you and I am eager to get some feedback.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Why not try to get a job on campus? I find that it's much easier to work at the school you're attending. Typically they're flexible with your scheduling needs and the jobs generally aren't terribly challenging. They also don't pay a whole lot so aim for some of the more difficult ones (tutoring, IT, etc.) that pay more. Depending on whether you're classified as a student worker or not, these jobs often have natural sunsets periods so you don't have to worry about quitting or being fired.

·
Registered
815 Posts
@linuxguy0481

You're a redditor, right? I remember that username on /r/INTP.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I finally realized I am a INTP type person. I'm currently looking for a new job and also I am going to school. Just getting my Associate degree right now from the community college. Still not sure if I want to be a Software Engineer. But anyways I am wanting to know what is a good short term job that will fit my personality and also one that won't require a degree.
I ask this because if I get a job that won't fit my personality I think I will be miserable and won't enjoy it.
I would like to know what long term careers are best for INTP type personalities. Thank you and I am eager to get some feedback.
A writer, you wont need a degree and you'll be free intellectually and the boss of your own. Or you could apply to jobs like cashiers and salesmen until you are ready to be a software engineer. Or you could be a youtuber, but I think that job requires a lot more time before its financially rewarding.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Why yes. Yes I am. I posted on here as well to get more responses. Unfortunately I work in a warehouse right now. It's not ideal but it does pay the bills. I wish I could find some entry level work that fits my personality type.
Why don't you explore computing-based possibilities? The great thing about them is that you have every resource that you need at your fingertips. Web hosting is cheap too, if you were to go an online route.

·
Registered
815 Posts
@kingdavidANC Haha, man, you're like an INTP-ENTJ.
I need some of what your thought process' smoking, bro.
That's what I like to think of myself as. I'm very in touch with emulating my shadow functions when need be. I've worked my way into thinking unnaturally so well that it's become natural. If you caught my rant a few weeks ago, I dictated my exact feelings on the matter. The more I think in terms of realism, logistics, and systemization (that is, everything that INTPs are notably shitty at), the more balanced and useful I am as a person. People are too easily caught in their comfort zone. I try to extend out as often as possible. Having 3w2 in my tritype, I like fitting into that shell as well. INTPs tend to be far too meek and uninspired, if you ask me. But that, of course, is a blanket statement.

Call it "being what I'm not," if you wish, however I have a burning desire to be useful--regardless of the implications.

Reactions: nadjasix and Ember

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why don't you explore computing-based possibilities? The great thing about them is that you have every resource that you need at your fingertips. Web hosting is cheap too, if you were to go an online route.
What do you recommend for the computing based possibilities?

·
Registered
815 Posts
What do you recommend for the computing based possibilities?
You may wish to check this out. This guy was extremely helpful and seemed to be willing to reveal nearly everything about online businesses.

If you feel as though you have a real entrepreneurial spark, you may wish to consider doing an online startup. A good idea is all it takes, and if it's information based (think Instagram or Codecademy), you'll save your ass on overhead and other legwork. Otherwise, if you have physical products in mind, you'll probably want to contact a patent lawyer and also get in touch with one of the many Chinese sourcing agents. Speaking personally, I'm a sucker for inexpensive yet clever products. I'm quick to whip out my PayPal account on neat-o stuff from PerpetualKid and ThinkGeek. Inexpensive impulse purchases are a big market considering how easy it is to buy things now in the digital age.

Above all, the worst thing you can do is skate to where the puck is at. Instead, skate to where it's going to be. Don't try and do things have already been done--regardless of whether they were successful (in other words, don't go into drop shipping because that other guy did it). People don't need it to be done again. There is no purpose for it. Find an innovative idea, and run with it. Think about what makes things marketable. The two main things that make things work are novelty and easy of use. Look for a need. It may be right in front of you.

If not that route, you may also wish to start a blog. With some solid SEO and keywords and absolutely most importantly, solid content, you may quickly find yourself making revenue through AdSense or other similar services.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the long term career advice. But what about short term jobs? I'm currently a warehouse worker. I pull orders, help pack shipments and help in receiving. It's not a bad job but no raise for a little bit over two years now and it is a dead end job. I am just wondering what kind of entry level jobs will a ISTP like myself be comfortable with? Just looking for a better paying job so my wife and I can afford to pay our son's medical bills.

My goal is to find a short term entry level job that suits ISTP types and when I'm done with school switch to the long term career that I can retire from. I was thinking about being a mechanic's helper but I don't have any experience. Not my long term career chocie by the way. But it will be beneficial for me to learn and fix my own future cars. Save a lot of money that way.

Just wanting some ideas. Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts