Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, my hair is disgustingly thin, knots all the time, regardless of how much or how little conditioner I use, and I'm pretty much sick of it.

I know it's unrealistic to want Pantene model hair, but generally I would just like my hair to be thicker so it's more maintainable...and more attractive. There's so much information on it on the internetz, I don't know what to believe, and I don't want to try something crazy like putting egg in my hair unless I know it works.

So, without cutting the use of dye (it's necessary, seeing as I'm afraid to see what my natural hair color seems to be gray or a very dull light brown) what are some tips on growing thicker hair?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Suppose you could view the source code of your hairs DNA and change a few values ...

tbh I have no idea how to grow thicker hair. Someone told me the more you shave the harder and thicker your beard will become, so maybe it's the same for hair on your head? Though I doubt you wanna run around in a wig.

And maybe it's the exessive usage of dye and hair products that's made it worse in the first place? ever thought of that?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
it seems like either you hair has become thinner from the amount of hair dye, which u don't want to stop using, or the only other thing i can think of is, talking to a hair dresser, i think there are ways you can make it look like it has volume and thinkness but only little tricks to make it look like that and not actually be thicker

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
this head lice removal lady told me to massage my scalp to stimulate growth back in my early teens.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I can sympathize with you!

I also have thin fine hair and I have tried all the products, and not much really helped. But you might try a biotin shampoo. They're not all the same so you may have to try several to find one that your hair responds to. Vitamins and gelatin also help if you take them regularly. You already know, dying your hair is hard on it. Perhaps a colored mouse, or temporary hair color would work instead.

I finally gave up struggling with my hair and had extentions added. They're not the perfect answer but at least I'm not as self-conscience, and I'm more comfortable with my looks. Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
How do you wear it? The longer it is the thinner it will look, have a short layered cut and it will bouff up a bit when you blowdry it.

I have really thick hair but it can look thin when it's long because it is heavy.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
I heard eating jello and beef makes hair and finger nails grow faster. As for "thicker" hair Idunno what to tell you.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
How do you wear it? The longer it is the thinner it will look, have a short layered cut and it will bouff up a bit when you blowdry it.
I've tried several styles, pixie, bob, cropped, layered, you name it. I never was very happy with it no matter which style I wore. Looked best short, but I got tired of that look for my whole life. With added extentions to give it volumn, I now wear it in a blunt cut to my shoulders, and it looks decent. I'm so happy for the change!
I had to retrain myself to get over the wanna be big hair syndrome I had. Fortunately the styles are sleeker now so I'm good to go.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
It's funny the way we get with our hair...I have thick, wavy hair and I've always been insanely jealous of girls with finer, thinner hair that lays flat. We're just never happy with what we have. :tongue:

I wish I could give you some good advice, but I've never heard of anything that works to make hair thicker. There are millions of balding men out there who would probably have the secret right now if there was one. I do remember there being a supplement out there, though, that makes hair grow faster (and fingernails, while you're at it) but I am unsure if this will help make it thicker. It did actually work with the growth though, so it's not a scam.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
My hair has taken a decent amount of abuse over the years. Some of my hair burned off back in 7th grade, and some fell out after radiation therapy :p First of all, change up the shampoos and conditioners that you use. I highly recommend that you switch to Biolage for a while. It's very easy on your hair. Also, never leave any kind of shampoo in for too long. I almost always rinse immediately. Conditioner, however, should be left in while you shave your legs, pits, and cooter :p It will give your hair more time to absorb it. Obviously, rinse it out afterwards. If you're going to blow-dry your hair, do it on a cool setting. Also, there are a few products that are actually really great. Paul Mitchell's thicken up is really good. Also, this sounds completely nuts, but it helps a lot. Find an eyeshadow (without glittery things) that's close to your hair color. You can put it on parts of your scalp that have less hair and kind of blend it in. It makes for an interesting optical illusion ;) (It makes you look like have hurr.) Also, keep up with the brushing. Brush every couple of hours if you need to in order to prevent tangling. Oh, and simply putting in some hairspray, brushing your hair, and shaking it out can add some volume :) One last thing. You could try taking some biotin. It will make your hair and nails grow like nuts. I'm thinking this could be helpful for you because your old, dry hair will grow out rather quickly. In the meantime, if you can find a color that closely resembles your natural color, that would be best (if you decide to take the biotin.) I hope you find this helpful.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
You can't grow thicker hair. You can, however, stop doing the things that are making your hair even thinner than it wants to be, and artificially make what you have look thicker.

--I know you said you don't want to stop dying your hair, but... if you are really dedicated to saving your hair, you need to stop. There are alternative ways to dye that don't harm your hair as much. Look for ammonia-free options like Nice 'N' Easy, or a color "glaze." These won't lighten or darken, but can change the shade of your hair, which it seems like is all you're concerned about. Dying your hair will absolutely ruin it and is catastrophic for hair that is already fine and thin.

--Products are everything. If you have fine, thinning hair, don't buy two dollar shampoo from the drugstore. Get yourself a nice volumizing shampoo and conditioner combo (conditioner is vital! Don't stop using it because you think it weighs your hair down. It doesn't-- at least a decent conditioner doesn't, and it's really important to keep what hair you have looking shiny and healthy.) I use Paul Mitchell products-- the thickening shampoo and conditioner from the tea tree line-- and they're great. It's also going to be really important for you to use a nice volumizing styling product and blow dry your hair upside down. Look into Aquage mousse or Big Sexy Hair root pumper. Do not use any sort of gel. Make sure what you get indicates it will improve volume. It is imperative to use a styling product if you want to your hair to stay floofy throughout the day.

--Zig-zag part. My stylist showed me this and it is a life-saver. I have extremely thin hair that shows a lot of scalp on the top of my head in certain places and oftentimes, my part looks shockingly white against my hair. Instead of a straight part, use a comb to sort of zig-zag back and forth so pieces from both sides of your head overlay on top of the part and hide your scalp. On a more general note, experiment with many different parts to see which side of your head has the least scalp showing through and do your part there.

--Make sure you are getting your hair trimmed every 4-6 weeks. The more split ends you get, the more tangled your hair gets, the more hard on it when you're brushing it, and you're ripping out hair in your brush that you can't afford to lose.

This is something I have been struggling with for a long time so I definitely sympathize. If I think of anything else, I will pop back in. These are all things that have worked for me!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I have pretty naturally fine/thin hair, however in the past couple years it has started growing a lot faster and feeling thicker, regardless of whether it actually is or not.

Here's what I think has helped for me personally:

- Organix shampoo/conditioner is my absolute favorite and makes my hair noticeably healthier, stronger, and hold more volume (which in turn makes it look thicker). Particularly the Pomegranate Green Tea and the Cherry Blossom Ginseng. And it's not expensive! And you can get it at the drugstore! Perfect!

- I shower at night and tie my hair up on top of my head while I'm sleeping. It means my hair is air-drying so it doesn't get the damage of a blow dryer or anything, and it's in a funky position so there is more volume in the morning when I brush it.

- Protein. I was a vegetarian for like eight years, and while I stayed healthy enough, I was pretty lazy about making sure I was getting adequate nutrition all the time. Occasional meat and the newfound availability of Greek yogurt have upped my protein intake to healthy levels, and it shows in the health and growth of both my hair and my nails. I'm not one to notice little things like that usually, but the difference has been profound.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts