Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always need to know why! Even before I knew about personality types, I knew this about myself. A manager friend of mine once told me, "there are two types of people, ones who have to know why they are doing something and ones who don't care and just do what they are told because their boss told them to."

The only time I don't need to know why I am doing something is when I have planned to not have to know why. (ex. If I already know and trust the person to be correct about the subject and I don't care to know (already know or something else is more interesting to me that I am preoccupied with) or I don't have time to find out.

Also, anytime someone does something, I ask myself "why did they do that." It is a favorite past time of mine and a need. I am always pondering why something is the way it is and not just with people.

Are other INFJs this way to?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Oh yeah totally. I actually learn better if I know the reason behind it, the why am I doing this or why is this situation the way it is. I remember things easier if I know the why behind them and understand it a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Oh yeah totally. I actually learn better if I know the reason behind it, the why am I doing this or why is this situation the way it is. I remember things easier if I know the why behind them and understand it a lot easier.
+1.

The thing I love most about the INFJ thread is that sometimes another INFJ will say exactly what I wanted to say, but better articulated. It's like they read my thoughts somehow.

·
Registered
89 Posts
+1.

The thing I love most about the INFJ thread is that sometimes another INFJ will say exactly what I wanted to say, but better articulated. It's like they read my thoughts somehow.
AHAHAHA I just did that with your post of the other guys' post.

And yes "why" is such a HUGE part of what I observe and think about. And when it doesn't make sense "why" they would do something.... the mind boggles. I love it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I always need to know why and find the anwser
clousure is important I feel incomplete without, If I dont have it. The Burderen with carry with me intil Its figured out.

It will drive me crazy; I will go to end of the world to find out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
It will drive me crazy; I will go to end of the world to find out.
I have a hard time letting go of interpersonal things sometimes. A word of caution: sometimes the closure you get is not the kind of closure you imagined.

But since it is our nature to seek it...

·
Registered
213 Posts
This is very true for me. I'm always asking why and trying to figure things out. It's really apparent to me now because I'm at a new job and seeing how the pieces all fit together in the office. I wonder why do it like that, and then I can see why later, and it makes sense.
I ask a lot of questions too!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Before I even opened up this thread I knew what you were talking about.....

... and that my answer would be a sure: YES!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have a hard time letting go of interpersonal things sometimes. A word of caution: sometimes the closure you get is not the kind of closure you imagined.

Even If Its not I'm still happy about the closure, I learned a stop expection in ideal closure, and i'm good at coping when it's terriable but closure is very important to my growth so good or bad I'm in.

·
Banned
656 Posts
It's why I am such a good observer...because not everyone has the time or cares to tell you the why...and I Google almost everything :laughing:I've also learned to tailor my questions better so as not to annoy other people and get more out of the experience. The why is always there at the back of my head...sometimes softly whispering and at other times throwing a tantrum like a frustrated child.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've also learned to tailor my questions better so as not to annoy other people and get more out of the experience.

Yes! This is a wonderfully usefull skill. I am really good at it. I only use it when I feel a need for it though, or am really bored and in need of some entertainment from the guys that are hitting on me at the bar. I can corner people and make them realize what they will not realize if you tell them straight up. I get a rush out of it every time. I used it at two of my jobs extensively to get things done when talking to vendors and customers. The goals are accuracy, speed and efficiency!

But you seem to be talking more about making your questioning more gental. That is also needed and wonderfull but oh, such a bother. I do it all the time to avoid people taking me the wrong way but, god I wish I could just say what I want to say! Tippy Toes tippy, tippy, tippy toes

·
Super Moderator
11,826 Posts

I, also, knew exactly where this thread would go when I read the question. As all of you, I have that strong need! I have to understand everything.

I have learned that there are times there are no answers. To figure out how to let them go is a tough lesson to learn, giving the INFJ nature. Sometimes, all I can do is find the answers about how I feel about a situation & accept the rest as it is.

As for answers that I don't like, I have to find the answers about why I don't like them, in order to accept them.

So, in a sense, I am still questioning everything!

PS Hmmm...no answers & answers I don't like, should I have put them together? Because, I don't like not having an answer, as much as, having an answer I don't like? Well now, on second thought, I'd rather have an answer that I don't like, at least it is an answer!

See there forever questioning and finding an answer! LOL :wink:

·
Super Moderator
11,826 Posts

I, also, knew exactly where this thread would go when I read the question. As all of you, I have that strong need! I have to understand everything.

I have learned that there are times there are no answers. To figure out how to let them go is a tough lesson to learn, giving the INFJ nature. Sometimes, all I can do is find the answers about how I feel about a situation & accept the rest as it is.

As for answers that I don't like, I have to find the answers about why I don't like them, in order to accept them.

So, in a sense, I am still questioning everything!

PS Hmmm...no answers & answers I don't like, should I have put them together? Because, I don't like not having an answer, as much as, having an answer I don't like? Well now, on second thought, I'd rather have an answer that I don't like, at least it is an answer!

See there forever questioning and finding an answer! LOL :wink:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
reminds me of what leonardo da vinci biography said (in assassins creed 2)

"For me its not enough to know everything about the world, I also want to change it!"

I want to know a lot of things...how things work, why they work, how were they invented? why was there a need to do so? and a lot more of things, for me knowing is not enough, but also changing it ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,826 Posts

I feel you!

·
Banned
656 Posts
Yes! This is a wonderfully usefull skill. I am really good at it. I only use it when I feel a need for it though, or am really bored and in need of some entertainment from the guys that are hitting on me at the bar. I can corner people and make them realize what they will not realize if you tell them straight up. I get a rush out of it every time. I used it at two of my jobs extensively to get things done when talking to vendors and customers. The goals are accuracy, speed and efficiency!

But you seem to be talking more about making your questioning more gental. That is also needed and wonderfull but oh, such a bother. I do it all the time to avoid people taking me the wrong way but, god I wish I could just say what I want to say! Tippy Toes tippy, tippy, tippy toes
I'm a type one so you got it right the first time but you can get there with gentleness just as fast and sometimes faster than being crass and with less resentment/issues from third parties. Ah, just adopt a matter of fact tone and you will have to tippy toe less. People want the truth and to get to there in an efficient manner. People like to feel like a winner in the end when everything is said and done...I just let them know that my questions will get them there. :blushed: Hmmm perhaps a bit manipulative but in a way that benefits everyone involved :blushed::blushed::blushed:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts