Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is this idea perpetuated by ISTP profiles that a person with the mindset of TiSe is a too-cool-for-school, mechanically-minded, motorcycle driving, surfer dude who gives nerds wedgies. I suspect, in reality, that there are ISTPs who are those nerds....

A Ti-dom friend of mine seemed INTP to me because he's very nerdy in a scientific, logical, cerebral way. He's sarcastic, a man of few words, and far prefers reading something like Les Miserables to working on a car. His interests revolve around computers & food. However, I see little about him that suggests Ne-aux, especially in his expressions. He seems more intune with the tangible - for one, he's an AMAZING cook (I just left his house where I gorged myself on homemade kung pow chicken, potstickers, haznel nut icecream & a cocktail he invented). He also strikes me as pretty realistic & practical, where INTPs do NOT (although they may see themselves that way). Anyway, he is just an example of what I think a "nerdy" ISTP may look like.

Thoughts? Any nerdy ISTPs here?

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I think I fall pretty straight into this category. Less now than when I was younger, but I'm somewhere there nonetheless. The symptoms are pretty much the same as the ones Ontic described.

I never cared enough for clothes, and I knew a bit too much about computers (and random trivia) to really fit in with the "cool" crowd, but then again they always seem to like me anyway and often seem to gravitate towards me, so maybe that feeling is simply a matter of badly used Fe on my part.

But yes, closet adventurer is probably a pretty describing term for me.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah... My room looks like mission control at the moment... And i love it.

It's kind of funny, i've had people tease me for being a techie, yet, regret it later when they pick verbal or physical fights. (the more stereotypical ISTP shows through) :wink:

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
My friend who is a ISTP reminds me of the guy who plays Scott Pilgrim and Juno's boyfriend. He is quite a Nerdy fellow in his mannerisms.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
guilty as charged. Until this spring i kept on thinking that im an egghead yet i could never fit in with them and kept bouncing between intp/istp but couldnt relate to anything posted on various intp forums + i score as an istp every time.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have plenty of general knowledge, but in high school I could never match it with the nerds, I did poorly in maths and the sciences.

For this ISTP, sometimes nerdy, but not in that "I've just developed a flux capacitor" sort of way.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
People seem to use the term nerd, when they mean geek and vice-versa. There are differences. This is a definition of Nerd, and this defines geek from Wikipedia. You can decide which you are, but the fact that I just wrote this post indicates my need to make distinctions means I use Ti, and I am without a doubt one or the other.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
motorcycle driving,
Thoughts? Any nerdy ISTPs here?
I especially appreciate Functianalyst making us aware of the distinction between "Nerd" and "Geek."

I'm sure that all "Nerds" are not ISTPs and as such all ISTPs are not "Nerds" but there will always be a few.

One other thing, you don't actually "drive" a motorcycle, you RIDE one. Same thing with a bicycle too! Please don't ever tell me that you "drove" a horse!

·
Registered
305 Posts
People seem to use the term nerd, when they mean geek and vice-versa.
Referring to those articles I suppose I'd classify as a 'computer geek' or 'car geek'. But slang language is so vastly interchangeable and innacurate that I don't think i'd ever choose to refer to myself under such a name.

Although when somebody picks up on my technical skills and asks if i'm a bit of a geek, I usually respond with a wry smile and a "sure, if you like" kind of response. :crazy:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Even in college, I'm always that guy sitting on the chairs constantly doing homework for hours. Even after my friends finished going to the nearby mall, I was still writing away. I'm many things, and nerd is one of them.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
my husband is an ISTP who's pretty nerdy/geeky..... He is interested in cars and loves driving etc but when he's not tinkering with his car, he can usually be found reading (he also read Les Miserables and loved it) He loves Star Wars and various other geeky t.v. shows. He's very in to computers and technology and for fun he likes to solve puzzles and math problems! Even his screen name combines the two traits it's "(favorite car)geek"

And yes, I intially typed him as an INTP too.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I am definitely a nerd, but I also never fit into that nerd group. I was more of a lone wolf. But, despite being a nerd, I could mingle with any of the cliches in my class, because I am cool. :wink: They also knew not to mess with me, because I have a mean left hook.

I love fantasy and sci-fi, dead languages, puzzles (words, numbers, jigsaw), chess and other strategy games, Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate (the movie), Star anything, haha. But, one of my favorite books is The Count of Monte Cristo, so I'm into the classics too. Love video games, racing games and tetris-esque games mostly. But, I was never much of a tech.

Closet adventurer is a good term!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have to say I do love biting the heads off of chickens...Its a fun way to pass the time..:proud:

I love science...(going to school for clinical lab science)..and SciFi...and all the nerd/geek stuff...but I like fast cars, guns, and the gym.......I can nerd it up with the nerd crowd which I love doing...but for some reason all the non-nerds tend to gather around me...I think they think I'm an extrovert from how I act in public...aaahhh yes baseless confidence...I get it all from video games and anime...:proud:

I love fantasy and sci-fi, dead languages......

Closet adventurer is a good term!
I love dead people...ZOMBIE!!! *waves his machete around*...well at least killing them....again....:mellow:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think regardles off any type, a person who has social anxiety will always beseen a loser or geek per se

1 - 20 of 25 Posts