Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was offered a chance to do a mural for $100. I said yes. I didn't know how nervous I would be though!
It took me forever to get the confidence to just start the practice painting for some reason. I mean, it's just a practice painting, why does it still feel like a huge deal for me? I just got too nervous to keep painting and only painted 1 flower.
It's going to be all flowers and they're what I'm best at. I just don't understand why I would be so nervous about painting flowers, I doodle flowers all day sometimes.
Have you ever had a problem like this? What do you do to shake the nervousness off? I've always wanted to have a career as a painter and I feel like this could be a huge step, it can be really difficult for me to do things that feel serious to me.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
First off, I love your Nausicaa avatar. Miyazaki Ftw!

The first paid photography gig i had was this small wedding. I had been shooting pretty regularly for 2 years already but once i was there about to do a paid job i got super nervous. I think it's normal to feel that way. Why? I'm not sure. Added pressure of performing well, fear that they won't like what you did, etc. Idk
I do know it got easier the more gigs i had. Pretty soon i was just doing it and not worrying about anything.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh wow, sounds like a great opportunity :D I haven't really been in this position... just take your time and try to relax... try not to think of it as something 'serious' but something you enjoy doing.

If you're having trouble then you could try doing something else for a while, grab another piece of paper and just splash colours around without caring how good it is, or take a walk to get away for a bit, listen to music, whatever helps.

I see no reason why anything should go wrong. Be confident in your abilities, I'm sure you won't let yourself or anyone else down. It'll be fab! :)

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Also, doubts can toy with you if you dwell on them. I've found that at least for me, when I've doubted myself or abilities, i had to build up some pride and remind myself that i have a certain skill and i belong doing this.

Basically Pride kicks the shit out of doubts everytime. Take pride in your works. Pride can go along way. And good luck and have fun!

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
go for eetttttt!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
What a great opportunity! You wanna know what I think? I think it is natural to feel a little nervous when you first start out, just don't let it hold you back...go for it. As cityofcircuits said, be proud and take pride. The more you do it the more confidence you will gain as time goes on.

I have to always tell myself when I start to get nervous about something, "What's the worst that can happen?" I fail? If I fail it is not the end of the world, I just learn and do better next time. BUT...you are not going to fail and you are going to do wonderfully!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts