Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may know that net neutrality was killed. :exterminate:
Hypothetically if net neutrality got worse, and we're (usually) internet surfers that weren't allowed to surf again (price too high). How would we survive?

·
Registered
185 Posts
This post response is unable for viewing.

In order to read Chucky's comment, upgrade to our new Comcast Internet Pro Edition for only 9.99 a month. If you act now, you will be able to download all forum comments up to 100 Mbps.

If you choose to respond this post, please sign into your Verizon account.

All memes should be available in monthly installments of virgin blood sacrifices.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Where the hell I've put the rope?!

Or maybe there are fun things that do not depend on internet like...
Nope.
Nope.
Nope.
Nope.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
One step closer to every moment and action of your daily existence be in the form of a traceable transaction.

yay.

·
Registered
INTP
5,117 Posts
If 'good' internet ends up as a reserve for the rich, it could result in an uprising.

No really.

If the internet becomes a chore to use, people will start doing 'human' things again, hanging out with friends much more regularly, gaining a much deeper feel for the community they live in (specially the personality types who quite easily hole themselves up and define themselves more by their online experience than their real life experience).

This greater sense of connect, specially among poorer folk who are pushed away from computer usage because it isn't as good quality as it used to be, will result in a more greater sense of purpose and proactiveness when it comes to getting shit done, including in a political sense. Protests will be larger; solidarity will be stronger.

Given the current rising inequality in western society, I would like to suggest the net neutrality thing could well act to accelerate the approach of this:

At least it could in the USA.

Couple this with "muh sec'n ammen'muht" and I do believe we may have a wonderful civil war on our hands!

Alright this is all very extreme actually. I got carried away but don't know how to rewrite this into a meaningful post.

I do think it could rejuvenate society in some way though - a divisive way, for sure.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Why would I want the Federal Government in almost complete control of the internet? I certainly trust Spectrum more than an overbearing and ever-growing entity that purposefully infected people with Syphilis, Gonorrhea, and Malaria, then withheld the treatment once it was known. That told people they would be getting treatment for minor issues and instead gave them radiation poisoning to study the effects and progression. That (more relative to the issue at hand) routinely injects itself in the market to protect their chosen companies from competition by imposing barriers to entry, undue costs, or downright withholding permission.

Speaking of which, the FCC under the same umbrella of control as 'net neutrality', prevented the implementation of Cellular wireless communication from the time it was invented in the 40s to the mid 80s. In either it's infinite wisdom or infinite ignorance, but certainly in its boundless hubris, and at the advice of the major companies that were afraid of competition, the FCC thought cellular mobile would never be more than an amusement with such a tiny userbase that it shouldn't be allowed to take up any airspace. Instead they allocated thirty times more airspace to television broadcasts than was ever used, even during broadcasting's peak.

Imagine if that same group controlled the implementation of the internet. :scratch::ssad:

·
Registered
29,051 Posts
If the government didn't have all this control would there be monopolistic organizations? If the government wasn't there who would be there to control the monopolistic organizations?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts