Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lo ladies and gents,

I'm conducting a study at my school concerning Student Attitudes towards Neuro-Enchancing Drugs.
i.e Ritalin, Concerta, Adderol, pretty much every legal amphetamine or amphetamine-like substance with the exclusion of caffeine.

So heres the question: How do you ladies and gents feel on the use of cognitive enhancement drugs by people who aren't prescribed them or need them such as narcoleptics or people with ADHD (for the purposes of this query assume that ADHD is a true disorder and not a misdiagnosis by lazy pediatricians, no need to debate the validity of it yet.)

But anyhoo you guys won't be used in the study obviously....just figured it'd be a fun little debate topic for the interweb.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
I don't believe in using any sort of drug unless you're ill and need it. This includes alcohol and in some cases I'd even encourage someone to avoid caffeine.

I have Aspergers and I'm more confident and assertive than most the people in my school, I can look people in the eye. Though I tried an oxytocin spray a couple of time (doesn't meet the criteria of a cognitive enhancement drug, it just helps others trust you, it doesn't enter your bloodstream or anything like that) I mainly did that because it was less harmless and out of curiosity but otherwise I mirror what I preach.

I came to where I am by myself, I refused (not my parents) to use drugs. Then I wouldn't achieve what I wanted - the drugs would. That's like being given money as a gift and being proud of yourself.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
I love drugs. Although I have learned that they should be used carefully. But for PRACTICAL reasons, I don't think people should be using dextroamphetamine to study with, because it isn't an efficient study aid. Properly used caffeine is far more efficient. Sure, you can read through 1000 pages of a textbook on speed and realise you just spent ten hours doing what you thought took onlyo ne hour, but you've just wasted 10 hours because you aren't going to be able to take in any of that information you just read.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Funny this topic should come around today.
I occasionally use neuro-enhancing drugs to finish research papers that i lose interest in 1/3 of the way (damn Ne that i love so much). It helps me stay on the stream of consciousness that is actually related to the paper (from which i tend to zone off or get distracted /restless). It also makes the actual act of doing things feel so much more fulfilling. It feels nice to be able to focus on one thing and not have your mind wander all over the place. especially when you start writing on a tangent and end up deleting entire paragraphs or changing the thesis after writing the rest of the paper.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I think it's abhorrent how fast parents, and doctors (in pursuit of a stipend) are to give this shit to kids. In my opinion our education system sucks and is incapable of keeping any sort of a free thinker enthralled. The solution, drug the little bastards. Apparently human beings rose from a small pack of vulnerable, naked, fleshy, walking apes to king of the fucking planet with flawed brains. God bless you overlords in big pharmacy for fixing us once again, because clearly society ain't broken, it's the people.

·
Registered
153 Posts
oh god don't get me started on the pharmaceutical companies
bad times america, bad times

Reactions: tangential

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
hmmm. My first inclination would be to say 'drugs are bad mkay" because I don't do them anymore, but on the other hand I did lots of them growing up and I do not regret it. I actually believe it helped me know as much as I know. Here is my theory. Drugs force you to think, act or experience something in a certain way, and after your done doing the drug you can remember what it was like, and replicate it later on command. This has turned out to be very useful to me and fufiling on many different levels. They might be like catalysts in this way but one must be very careful not to use when they are not mature enough to handle it. That is the main reason in my opinion why people get addicted to and die from drugs.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Psychedelics have have been one of the most potent catalyst for personal analysis and discovery, especially for an INTP with a strong Ti. My Ti has allowed me to stand by and observe myself objectively and clear headed while still being influenced by the experience.
Overnight I became an optimist and this has had lasting effects on my outlook on life

·
Registered
163 Posts
Lo ladies and gents,

I'm conducting a study at my school concerning Student Attitudes towards Neuro-Enchancing Drugs.
i.e Ritalin, Concerta, Adderol, pretty much every legal amphetamine or amphetamine-like substance with the exclusion of caffeine.

So heres the question: How do you ladies and gents feel on the use of cognitive enhancement drugs by people who aren't prescribed them or need them such as narcoleptics or people with ADHD (for the purposes of this query assume that ADHD is a true disorder and not a misdiagnosis by lazy pediatricians, no need to debate the validity of it yet.)

But anyhoo you guys won't be used in the study obviously....just figured it'd be a fun little debate topic for the interweb.
You spelled adderall wrong.
I don't agree with the term Neuro-enhancing. It really pisses me off.

For the study I sugest you don't use this term: it has certain connotations. That will certainly certainly influence your sample. Biased results don't make for a very valid study.
Unless of course you want to measure how certain terms effect attitudes towards a certain subject...

Seriously do a google search - They all give negative spins. I promise.

Psychostimulant drug or Psychoactive drug
Will tell you're participants that we're refering to a class of drug that does some serious shit, but also have legitimate medical applications.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I use them when I can find them; I actually, you know, get shit done. Of course, one has to be somewhat responsible and careful with them. The desire to redose is very real; before you know it, you've been up for three days and have read all your required reading for the semester (and have forgotten to eat).

Reactions: Unicorntopia

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have no objection to drugs as a general rule. I object to things like pot and alcohol because people ingest them to slow down and get stupid. I used to take Adderall for focus problems back in elementary school. It may have made me more anxious and less happy, but Christ could I think quickly on that drug. Feeling compelled to eat less didn't hurt either, given my horrendous appetite. Honestly, I don't know if I had a clinical problem besides Asperger's Syndrome, which I have mostly grown out of, but I kind of want to get on it again. I haven't been able to keep myself interested in anything besides stupid games, I feel much slower than I'm alright with, and I've put on twenty pounds in the past year. Adderall could fix all of those problems, with no crippling side effects.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have Aspergers and I'm more confident and assertive than most the people in my school, I can look people in the eye. Though I tried an oxytocin spray a couple of time (doesn't meet the criteria of a cognitive enhancement drug, it just helps others trust you, it doesn't enter your bloodstream or anything like that) I mainly did that because it was less harmless and out of curiosity but otherwise I mirror what I preach.
How'd you get it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You spelled adderall wrong.
I don't agree with the term Neuro-enhancing. It really pisses me off.

For the study I sugest you don't use this term: it has certain connotations. That will certainly certainly influence your sample. Biased results don't make for a very valid study.
Unless of course you want to measure how certain terms effect attitudes towards a certain subject...

Seriously do a google search - They all give negative spins. I promise.

Psychostimulant drug or Psychoactive drug
Will tell you're participants that we're refering to a class of drug that does some serious shit, but also have legitimate medical applications.
Yeah, I realized spelled it wrong afterward but I figured it wouldn't really have an effect on people's responses.

As for Neuro-enhancers...well that's the term my professor gave me to use....I like the term psychostimultant but that will the same kind of attitude bias that Neuro-enhancers would...well not the same specific bias per say but any bias regardless of direction certainly isn't beneficial...then again its damn near impossible to completely eliminate bias regarding nomenclature because just about anything you call it can cause bias...unless you use chemical names that most people won't know but that leads to a whole other mess of problems...unless you consider ignorance to be a form of bias...in which case disregard that...

And believe me you I've done quite a bit of research on this....this thread isn't about gaining new info....but rather to hear others opinions on the subject...which I suppose could also be obtained from a google search...but I'd rather hear what you guys have to say :laughing:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think it's abhorrent how fast parents, and doctors (in pursuit of a stipend) are to give this shit to kids. In my opinion our education system sucks and is incapable of keeping any sort of a free thinker enthralled. The solution, drug the little bastards. Apparently human beings rose from a small pack of vulnerable, naked, fleshy, walking apes to king of the fucking planet with flawed brains. God bless you overlords in big pharmacy for fixing us once again, because clearly society ain't broken, it's the people.
Also, I can attest to this...back in pre-school I was a bit of an odd kid (which didn't really change...) but that lead to me being prescribed Ritalin since I was about 5 or 6...and let me tell you it was terrible...it got to the point where i would hide the pill under my tongue and spit it out in the bathroom after I left the house...it seemed to sort of stifle my imagination back in the day...it almost made me entirely TOO focused on reality.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's like being given money as a gift and being proud of yourself.
Well said.

I think taking this type of drugs where is no need to is just lame, and I pity those who do that. Laying on the beach instead of spending hours studying is tempting, but ... it's not that I take pride in fact that I made it trough my university years without cheating - I just think that if someone have problems with time management / is lazy should reconsider pursuing academic carrier. There is no shame in being a construction worker or a homemaker.

[I am thumbs up for LSD though]

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Well said.

- I just think that if someone have problems with time management / is lazy should reconsider pursuing academic carrier. There is no shame in being a construction worker or a homemaker.

[I am thumbs up for LSD though]
I have a degree in accounting, am an accountant but would love to be a homemaker. It is so much more fufiling to me to make dinner for everyone, remembering what they like, grocery shopping, and making it healthy at the same time is sOooooo satisfying. I love seeing the looks on thier faces when they eat. I love having it there for them near the end of there day. I love living for someone else. I do not have anyone to do those types of things for at the moment so I feel like I have most of my life, which is semi chaotic and meaningless. Until I find someone again who needs it and appreciates it, I fear I will not have contentment.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have used ritalina for more efficient studies. For this purpose, I recommend that you crush the pills and insufflate. This gives you an effective high of 4 to 5 hours. Put it to best use.

I recommend it if the deadline is tight and you have a shitload of writing to do. I would not use it for reading, though. Ritalina gives you an increase in output, but not as much of an increase of input. See to it so that you are alone at your desk, with all relevant books available. Also download and install software that limits your internet access so that you only can reach sites relevant to the studies during these hours. This will keep you focused.

Good luck.

Also. Always review your work before turning it in. You will probably be able to cut away a few repetitions and overly-detailed explanations.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I came to where I am by myself, I refused (not my parents) to use drugs. Then I wouldn't achieve what I wanted - the drugs would. That's like being given money as a gift and being proud of yourself.
Drugs are tools. Just like wrenches and computers.

One can beat ones own teeth out with a wrench. One can also unscrew bolts.

This is the principle you are applying:

"I came to where I am by myself, I refused to use a wrench. Then I wouldn't unscrew the bolts that I wanted to unscrew - the wrench would."

To me, this seems stupid. One should use drugs when drugs are useful. In this case - studies.

Wrenches are useful for unscrewing bolts, and ritalina is useful for writing long, boring papers. Your opposition to this is irrational and based only on pride.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Drugs are tools. Just like wrenches and computers.

One can beat ones own teeth out with a wrench. One can also unscrew bolts.

This is the principle you are applying:

"I came to where I am by myself, I refused to use a wrench. Then I wouldn't unscrew the bolts that I wanted to unscrew - the wrench would."

To me, this seems stupid. One should use drugs when drugs are useful. In this case - studies.

Wrenches are useful for unscrewing bolts, and ritalina is useful for writing long, boring papers. Your opposition to this is irrational and based only on pride.
Pride is a valuable thing for some, and when some are robbed of their pride, they grow languid and don't even use their tools. Ergo, those tools are being wasted, not placed where they should be, in the hands of a man without pride.

In many cases these 'tools' lead to depression and exacerbate mental illness.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts