Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does your neutral state feel like? How would you describe when life is going well and you don't have many cares? What are your thoughts like?

I'd say in my neutral state, I feel like I'm thriving. My thoughts rarely stop no matter my mood, but they feel rejuvenated when I have nothing greatly concerning me. I feel alive and excited, even if there's nothing in particular to look forward. It's like a mental buzz, a happy drunk mode. I can't say that I focus on any one thing or person then. I just feel connected to it all at once.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'd say in my neutral state, I feel like I'm thriving.
Whoa, that sounds pretty happy to me. At least, that's how I am when I am very energized and happy. How are you like when you are happy? Flying off the walls? Lucky!

At my neutral state, I am calm but witty. I am able to squeeze a couple of slapstick here and there, but not as much as at my best. I listen a lot and react accordingly. I think, I zone out, but I am completely aware of my surroundings. I am able to look at the sky and realize it's blue, look at the leaves and appreciate their colors. However I am mostly in my head, processing my thoughts. I will seek company at this state, but depending on where I am in my neutral state, the reasons will differ. If I am on the upper spectrum, I will want company to joke around and have fun. If I am on the bottom of the spectrum, it may be due to fear of becoming low again.

Reactions: neutralchaotic

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,636 Posts
I'll let you know when I get there :wink:

I can't comment much on my neutral state because when I'm neutral, I just am. I barely notice myself.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
What does your neutral state feel like? How would you describe when life is going well and you don't have many cares? What are your thoughts like?

I'd say in my neutral state, I feel like I'm thriving. My thoughts rarely stop no matter my mood, but they feel rejuvenated when I have nothing greatly concerning me. I feel alive and excited, even if there's nothing in particular to look forward. It's like a mental buzz, a happy drunk mode. I can't say that I focus on any one thing or person then. I just feel connected to it all at once.
Last major spell of that was when my husband lost his job in San Diego and was home for months preparing for us to move back to my home state.

I focused on a manuscript I was working on, he focused on his stuff.

I danced when I wasn't working or took a few walks a day, did some simple yoga--in between writing sessions.

When a problem came up that would normally stress me, or I'd be offered a choice that I would normally hesitate about if not nix, I'd just smile and deal with the problem and agree to eating at X or ordering something less preferred when otherwise I'd get irritated.

"Sure, that's fine" was a common response, e.g. "You're gonna box that heavy table, we don't need it," and he'd say, "Look inside," and I'd see all his Fruit of a Loom undies, and grin, "Sure, that's fine." (Because I knew he could not possibly pack and ship that thing, no point in saying anything.)

When I'm working on a writing project, nothing niggles me. I don't talk much. I do my usual 'Baby Unaware' other than noticing insects and animals, and everything is groovy.

When I am not working on a writing project I have to spend a lot of energy to stay stable.

Three and a half years back in my Home State, I'm still waiting for a serious run of "Sure..." and hunky dory.

I hope it's coming relatively soon.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoa, that sounds pretty happy to me. At least, that's how I am when I am very energized and happy. How are you like when you are happy? Flying off the walls? Lucky!

At my neutral state, I am calm but witty. I am able to squeeze a couple of slapstick here and there, but not as much as at my best. I listen a lot and react accordingly. I think, I zone out, but I am completely aware of my surroundings. I am able to look at the sky and realize it's blue, look at the leaves and appreciate their colors. However I am mostly in my head, processing my thoughts. I will seek company at this state, but depending on where I am in my neutral state, the reasons will differ. If I am on the upper spectrum, I will want company to joke around and have fun. If I am on the bottom of the spectrum, it may be due to fear of becoming low again.
Hmm, I operate more in extremes, so yes, my neutral state is more 'happy'. When, I'm truly happy though, it's more ecstatic and overly bubbly, very goofy and a lot like an ENFP. I feel like I'm spilling over with glee and can genuinely FEEL that warm and fuzzy feeling coursing through my veins. I am not a calm 'happy' at all! I'm hyperaware of my surroundings and the people I'm with and the situations I'm in..a vivid contrast from my neutral ways (which is all in my head, my face is very straight, sometimes an unconscious scowl).

I like that you're more present even in your neutral state, I think I have yet to find that constant mode. It's interesting that you seek people out for different reasons, do you ever have moments where you think: "I want to share what I'm feeling with someone (e.g. rub off on them)", and seek them out then?

Reactions: sippingcappucino

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll let you know when I get there :wink:

I can't comment much on my neutral state because when I'm neutral, I just am. I barely notice myself.
Ah, wow. That's how I feel when I'm consumed and overwhelmed by something. I can't seem to find my consciousness. It feels severe to me though, a type of strong disassociation and shutting-down of functions. It's disorienting.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last major spell of that was when my husband lost his job in San Diego and was home for months preparing for us to move back to my home state.

I focused on a manuscript I was working on, he focused on his stuff.

I danced when I wasn't working or took a few walks a day, did some simple yoga--in between writing sessions.

When a problem came up that would normally stress me, or I'd be offered a choice that I would normally hesitate about if not nix, I'd just smile and deal with the problem and agree to eating at X or ordering something less preferred when otherwise I'd get irritated.

"Sure, that's fine" was a common response, e.g. "You're gonna box that heavy table, we don't need it," and he'd say, "Look inside," and I'd see all his Fruit of a Loom undies, and grin, "Sure, that's fine." (Because I knew he could not possibly pack and ship that thing, no point in saying anything.)

When I'm working on a writing project, nothing niggles me. I don't talk much. I do my usual 'Baby Unaware' other than noticing insects and animals, and everything is groovy.

When I am not working on a writing project I have to spend a lot of energy to stay stable.

Three and a half years back in my Home State, I'm still waiting for a serious run of "Sure..." and hunky dory.

I hope it's coming relatively soon.
I hope you'll find it again soon, that sounds so peaceful. :)

Reactions: BranchMonkey

·
Registered
902 Posts
When, I'm truly happy though, it's more ecstatic and overly bubbly, very goofy and a lot like an ENFP.
Those moments are fun. I love that too.

do you ever have moments where you think: "I want to share what I'm feeling with someone (e.g. rub off on them)", and seek them out then?
Mm, I used to think that more often. But now that I think about it, it seems I have that wish when I am actually very low. When I am low, I usually do not seek company (my, my I haven't gone there in awhile, thank goodness). But when I do, it is for that reason. The funny thing is though, I remember contacting people, but then just sit there when we met. I wouldn't say anything, but want them to say the right things at the right moment. Self-pity and the classic INFP, "No one understands me" stereotype. I don't recall reciting my thoughts or feelings. Back then I blamed others for not understanding me. But if I think about it now, I was the one who couldn't articulate it. So I felt trapped in there.

So, my answer is, yes, I had those moments when I am around my worst. But I never succeed in articulating my feelings at those moments. It's after I have processed it completely and naturally flows out of a conversation is when I am able to talk about how I felt in the most honest manner.

Can I assume you had that experience as well? And may I ask how your experience went or how you dealt with that?

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,636 Posts
Ah, wow. That's how I feel when I'm consumed and overwhelmed by something. I can't seem to find my consciousness. It feels severe to me though, a type of strong disassociation and shutting-down of functions. It's disorienting.
I was going off the "when I don't have many cares" vein. If I don't have something that I'm actively working/thinking toward, I am very bland. I always need to have something.

If I didn't have many cares, and my friend happened to be playing some beat-ful music, I would end up dancing rather wildly with them. But that can also happen when I've got a lot on my plate, but I choose to turn on some samba batucada and start jumping around at 1 in the morning in spite of it all. I guess what I'm saying is that there isn't a neutral me, only seconds of mental downtime as I choose the next thing to do. And if I didn't choose something else to do, I think I would either fall asleep or get depressed!

You classify your neutralness as your alive and thriving feelings. I just classify my own a little differently :) I'm sure we feel the same way aside from words!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mm, I used to think that more often. But now that I think about it, it seems I have that wish when I am actually very low. When I am low, I usually do not seek company (my, my I haven't gone there in awhile, thank goodness). But when I do, it is for that reason. The funny thing is though, I remember contacting people, but then just sit there when we met. I wouldn't say anything, but want them to say the right things at the right moment. Self-pity and the classic INFP, "No one understands me" stereotype. I don't recall reciting my thoughts or feelings. Back then I blamed others for not understanding me. But if I think about it now, I was the one who couldn't articulate it. So I felt trapped in there.

So, my answer is, yes, I had those moments when I am around my worst. But I never succeed in articulating my feelings at those moments. It's after I have processed it completely and naturally flows out of a conversation is when I am able to talk about how I felt in the most honest manner.

Can I assume you had that experience as well? And may I ask how your experience went or how you dealt with that?
Ah, I see. It's difficult for me to articulate any emotion in the moment. I've always had to wait until it simmered down for me to be able to word it out with others. I had those experiences more times than I would care to count. When I was really young all I could do was feel, and I didn't really know myself well enough to sort out why I was feeling a certain way, what was causing it, how it could be solved, etc. These emotions were just there and I didn't know what to do with them! So, even having a listening ear / authority figure around was of no help to me. I rarely discussed deep things, and just kept it bottled inside. Pretty harmful with the stuff I went through.

I've improved tenfold when it comes to 'knowing myself' now. It's still a large task to undertake, but I'm able to get to the end in due time. I still don't look towards others for comfort a lot of the time, and even when I do choose to be vulnerable I'm really hesitant, but I'm able to point out the issues I'm having. It still sounds roundabout, but it's better than an "I don't know". Trying to let people help me is a permanent resolution.

Reactions: sippingcappucino

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was going off the "when I don't have many cares" vein. If I don't have something that I'm actively working/thinking toward, I am very bland. I always need to have something.

If I didn't have many cares, and my friend happened to be playing some beat-ful music, I would end up dancing rather wildly with them. But that can also happen when I've got a lot on my plate, but I choose to turn on some samba batucada and start jumping around at 1 in the morning in spite of it all. I guess what I'm saying is that there isn't a neutral me, only seconds of mental downtime as I choose the next thing to do. And if I didn't choose something else to do, I think I would either fall asleep or get depressed!

You classify your neutralness as your alive and thriving feelings. I just classify my own a little differently :) I'm sure we feel the same way aside from words!
Mm, I understand where you're coming from now! The dancing part sounds so fun and spontaneous, I was just dancing myself a minute ago. :proud:

I see so!

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
This exactly.

I'm in a state of passion, intensity, with the occasional bliss/peaceful hour. Bliss and passion aren't the same, because passion has movement and fire, and bliss is more like peaceful waters.
All these states are born from & directed at myself. Hard to describe. I don't pour this on anyone, instead it's like one of those home decor fountains that have an endless supply of water and it reclyces itself. There's no external water coming in, and no water leaving. It's all a circuit running inside, and my own state is producing my own energy, which perpetuates my state, which perpetuates the source of energy, and so on.

So my default state is passion, which consists of a mix of fire, movement and love. I find myself in a state of doing, I can't sit still, I can't watch movies or read books because it's too passive and brings down my buzz, and instead I naturally gravitate toward making art, socializing, going out on my own, exploring the outside world, coming home and nesting. Within that state, I have moments where the fire turns to peaceful water, and I find myself having almost an out of body experience, it feels like my consciousness expands to merge with the entire World. In that state, I stop doing, and I move around more slowly, I feel soft and sweet (instead of fire-strong) and just connected.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts

This sounds very close to what I would call it actually. Yea you described how it feels pretty well.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
This is such an interesting question. I don't even think I've thought about it before.

For me, I think of neutral can be equated with true happiness. Just a calm peaceful sort of feeling. Less racing thoughts in my brain, but not afraid to let them come either. I guess to me, neutral would be like 9... zen, relaxed, fully myself, rolling along. I am hoping to get there one day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts