Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The prototype device itself is an acrylic capsule about two centimeters long and one centimeter wide that can be taken orally, roughly the size of a large multivitamin. The capsule is designed to protect the medication inside until it reaches the GI tract. Once the capsule has reached its target destination, it dissolves and exposes the drug reservoir that is covered with five-millimeter-long needles. The needles pierce the intestines when the tissue contracts, delivering the drug directly."

Full Article: New Drug Delivery System Could Replace Injections | IFLScience

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Science is good at coming up with things that are counter-intuitive. We hear this and think, omg, a prickly pill stabbing our digestive tract? Sounds horrifying! But if it works it works, and that has to be proven. If they show data and tons of tests and no one has problems with it, then... that's all that matters!

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
oh

when you said drug delivery system i imagined a fedex type company delivering drugs to people and i thought to myself "wow i should find a way to get prescriptions for marijuana, adderall and xantax"

·
Registered
833 Posts
And the cutting will lead to bleeding, so we're both right?
This shouldn't cause any real bleeding whatsoever since the needles are so small. Ever got an intestinal biopsy? You don't even feel it and the bleeding is minimal. And they actually take a chunk out. Not to mention how fast the intestine can self-regenerate.

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ VLFE
20,613 Posts
This shouldn't cause any real bleeding whatsoever since the needles are so small. Ever got an intestinal biopsy? You don't even feel it and the bleeding is minimal. And they actually take a chunk out. Not to mention how fast the intestine can self-regenerate.
Can I say this is an experience I'm happy not to have?

·
Registered
593 Posts
As somebody that's administered a good number of injections and IVs, I'm really confused as to how they think these are a replacement for either. There is no way this is as fast-acting as a pushed medication (IV/bloostream directly); furthermore injecting into the bloodstream through the intestine is very dissimilar to an IM or subcutaneous injection, which are administered that way because we know the differences in absorption time between direct IV/SubQ/IM and which is best for which volume/type of drug.

Seems like a neat idea but I'd really like to know just what specific injections they think this will replace besides maybe insulin (I know it says 'infusions' and subq but it doesn't address that some medications need to be infused with fluid...)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Seems like a neat idea but I'd really like to know just what specific injections they think this will replace besides maybe insulin (I know it says 'infusions' and subq but it doesn't address that some medications need to be infused with fluid...)
This could mean a great deal to those who suffer from Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis. Taking pills (or other medication) that pass through your entire body before reaching their specified destination is not optimal. It's damaging other organs in the process. It would be more efficient to have the drug released exactly where it's supposed to be (directly into the large intestine, in this case) without having to pass through, for example, liver or kidneys.

·
Registered
593 Posts
This could mean a great deal to those who suffer from Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis. Taking pills (or other medication) that pass through your entire body before reaching their specified destination is not optimal. It's damaging other organs in the process. It would be more efficient to have the drug released exactly where it's supposed to be (directly into the large intestine, in this case) without having to pass through, for example, liver or kidneys.
Right, so why try and market this as a replacement for injections when it's meant to be a replacement for certain types of pills, by that claim? Seems like they need to pick a direction and stick with it.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Somehow, all I can think of is those 5 mm needles repeatedly poking the intestinal lining until it comes out as poo. They said the capsule will dissolve but what about the needles?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Right, so why try and market this as a replacement for injections when it's meant to be a replacement for certain types of pills, by that claim? Seems like they need to pick a direction and stick with it.
Well, they can still change their marketing once they actually release it. If they release it.

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,495 Posts
1. Would those needles cause pain: How thick are they?

2. Could they break off and enter the bloodstream?

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
2. Could they break off and enter the bloodstream?
:O and then get stuck in my heart or brain! OMG \o/

:unsure: I'd like to remind the audience that this means eating 5mm needles. :shocked:

·
Banned
71 Posts
I'm not surprised to hear about this. Afterall, even drugs will develop further in trickier and nastier stuff. I have known a girl who was a drug addict and I must say it is the most horrible thing that can happen to a person. I knew her long before she started, but since she began taking it, she changed and became a completely different person. Yes, she was beaten up by her dad as a child, yes, she was raped and molested almost on a daily basis because she lived in a scum part of town, but falling into drugs has changed her so much... Before all that crap she was a sunny and beautiful, attractive person. Now she looks more like an underground town degraded prostitute, who's nasty to whomever doesn't agree with her point of view.
I really wish that one day, there will be a way to stop the drug traffic from further developement.

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,495 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts