Personality Cafe banner

How do you generally approach new experiences?

• I love new experiences, if it’s new I just have to try it

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • I’m usually game as long as it’s nothing too extreem

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • If people I know think I’ll like it, then I’m not too worried

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I tend to approach just about any new experience warily

Votes: 4 14.3%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you tend to feel about new experiences? Do you usually jump on the opportunity to try something new? Do you tend to hang back and approach things warily? Do you go right ahead if you have a trusted reccommendation, but otherwise not?

Does your openess to new things vary depending on the type of thing?
Food you've never had before
Place you've never been to
Book, Movie, Show you're not familiar with
Music you're unfamiliar with
Activity you've never done before
Traditions/Ceremonies you're not familiar with (cultural, religious type things)
Home Remedies or other 'cures' people suggest to you

I think Es are usually described as being more open to new things, and Is as more cautious, but in my personal experiences (I don't know that many Es) it's usually the SPs who seem most excited about getting the chance to try something new. So, I thought I'd see if I could gather more evidence from you all :)

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
How do you tend to feel about new experiences?
Generally, I am very open to them. I am drawn to novel ideas & experience can be an extension of exploring them. However, if something is lacking in what I see as an intriguing idea behind it, then I can be disinterested. Usually, I might try it anyway if it seems harmless, just to see if I can't find some new, unexpected inspiration.

Do you usually jump on the opportunity to try something new?
More often than not, yes. I joke that I would probably eat a sheep's eyeball because I am very open to new food. I also gobble up new fashion, excited at novel shapes & colors that are emerging, especially just outside the "mainstream" taste. More often than not, I like to be inspired by new things, and I'm less likely to pursue experiencing it exactly as it is than to pursue taking its concept & creating my own version of it, adapting it into something else that is even NEWER :tongue:. I tend to view new experience as inspiration & stimulation for ideas, basically.

Do you tend to hang back and approach things warily? Do you go right ahead if you have a trusted recommendation, but otherwise not?
Because I am shy, I will hang back if it involves taking center stage of some kind. I think it's more of a way to avoid possible humiliation; I'll observe others & make a game plan in the meantime. In other areas, I am comfortable just diving right in or being the first to try something. Sometimes I take pride in taking the unexplored route. I think it depends on how confident I am in with my skills in an area.

I do value other people's opinions, but I don't need a trusted recommendation. I can even disregard warnings if I am already dead set on something. If am unsure, than a warning may make me reconsider, but I'll probably still choose another "new" option than go the safe route. I'm stubbornly independent that way, but I don't think it's to the point of foolishly disregarding all input from others.

Yes. My Fi comes into play here....if it violates some value, then I'm closed to it. This generally includes anything I find immoral/unethical, a threat to my life or others' lives, or something permanent that I don't want to commit to on a whim (which means I may do it later if I have the chance to think it over).

Food you've never had before - Like I said: sheeps' eyeballs!
Place you've never been to - sign me up!
Book, Movie, Show you're not familiar with - Will try it unless I get the distinct impression it is terribly lame or violates a value (ie. extremely violent). I regularly go to movies with friends/family I have no interest in just because I'm open & easy-going like that. If I am unsure about something, then a little research into it will usually help me make up my mind.
Music you're unfamiliar with - Will likely give it a chance, but again, if I have the distinct impression it is too similar to something I already know I dislike, then I'll probably listen to it with some bias. For example, I generally hate country music, so I avoid it & would be wary to suggestions, but I'd give a song a chance if someone really pushed a recommendation.
Activity you've never done before - Generally open as long as it's not violating some value.
Traditions/Ceremonies you're not familiar with (cultural, religious type things) - see above
Home Remedies or other 'cures' people suggest to you - see above

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I put I’m usually game as long as it’s nothing too extreme. Extreme usually equals severe injury you can't recover from and death as being a possibility. I'm impulsive and experimental, not insanely reckless.

Since I do have my limits like bungee jumping. I'd love to try it but the possibility of dying just doesn't appeal to me. And the fear of heights makes it impossible. I'd like to get over that since when I was younger I could climb to the highest parts of trees and be very content and just sit there for a while looking down and around at the world and I've always loved the idea of being able to fly like if we had wings, not in a plane, it's not the same.

I am really really sensitive to what I put in my mouth, a complication of being an HSP, so I get my moods when I'll try something drastically different I am unsure if I'd even like, like my sushi mishap XD That was difficult as hell especially since I'm very picky about what fish I eat and how it's done. Like right now I'm dying to have new ideas for recipes and just recently it might be known by some, I was turned onto Nutella which brings me lots of joy as when I do find something I like, I can't get enough of it XD SO it goes to both extremes and then there's the "meh" experiences which is, if it's good for me, I'll have it again.

THIS I'd love to experience more, I'm just too poor to do it :( One of my dreams has always been to travel as far distances as I possibly could. Far away and exotic places have a high degree of appeal, even space travel. The only problem with that one is the same as above, fear of heights and of dying which increased 10-fold when I realized it was most likely you could die than succeed after a few explosions of manned rockets, then I was like...ok I guess I wouldn't want to try that after all. Reality is a bummer sometimes :( Now time travel, there's something that would be a lot of fun. I've fancied before the idea that if I had a car I'd just drive and keep driving and see where it takes me.

I'm fine with that though it's not something I am eager for. I have been late on getting into some, which is fine. There's just some things I know ahead of time I won't get into, couldn't get into, so I don't bother. TV shows aren't a priority of mine so that's probably the most neglected of them all. Too much hype kills things for me too, like when Friends came out, just all the wrong elements there lol, except being a comedy, it's not for me. The internet is great because I can actually find things I can get into like animes I haven't seen but there's just so many XD Books, and movies are different, I'm much more experimental there.

I used to pride myself on finding things before anyone else did here. There's just so much of it now it's hard to keep up and I'm still trying to get my collection updated from the internet on hard to find things. When I find something new that I really enjoy it's almost as good as sex! (same as food) If we're talking about genres, I'll give stuff a chance no matter what even if I'm sure I won't like it. Especially when I have no control of the radio :p

There doesn't seem to be a long list of things here for me, so I'll say yes unless I know it could be extremely harmful. If I hadn't joined my ex-bf in playing Dungeons and Dragons, I wouldn't be playing the RPGs I do play on my PC and I just can't imagine that! I love creating characters and playing as myself or as something completely different, as long as it's interesting.

Traditions/Ceremonies you're not familiar with (cultural, religious type things)
Sure, I haven't got much exposure to that being of small town origin unfortunately. This is one reason I would have loved to get into Anthropology, so I could travel AND do this kind of thing and experience life elsewhere. Unless were talking animal sacrifice and genital mutilation in which case fogeddaboudit! :angry:

Sure, having as many health problems as I have had in life and being familiar with alternate cures I know there are better things out there than pills for some conditions or symptoms. If I wasn't open about medical pot ages ago, I might not still be here having gone through what I have with the pain and the drugs prescribed for them and the hell they can induce. If we're talking about just plain wacky sounding stuff like faith healers, I'll give it a shot depending on what for and if I actually know people it worked on, but it just doesn't sound realistic enough for me to bother paying for. I had someone try something like that on myself and it just felt awkward lol.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm game to try new food, but of late, I've discovered the wonders of food blogs, and I would check first if they're any good. Because I wouldn't want to blow my money on something that's a dud.

It depends. Mostly, I go to new places with my friends.

When it comes to books, I'm a voracious reader. I think I'm the most adventurous when it comes to books.

Movies, I need convincing, by people with tastes similar to my own.

I don't listen to much music, but my taste in music is probably very different from that of my generation's. People nowadays prefer pop and rock, but I'm more of a folk/indie person.

As long as it's not life threatening, bring it on.

I'm pretty open to anything. But I would take precautions. I have a few Hindu and Muslim friends. If I get invited to a wedding, I would read up/ask around on what is culturally acceptable and so on. I don't want to offend anyone, especially on a joyous occasion.

As long as it's not Traditional Chinese Medicine, I don't mind. I had a bad scare with TCM before.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts

Open to and enjoy trying most things unless it appears to have a high gross factor.

I love visiting new places as long as it's not dangerous. I probably wouldn't travel to a place raging with war or disease for example.

I'm open to trying most anything once. If I'm not enjoying it, I can abandon it and try something else. Not much to lose here. I would be somewhat reluctant to try it if it appears to be very similar to something I know I hate but then again, I could be swayed to try it anyway if I got a really convincing recommendation that shows how it's different or better than what I don't like.

I experiment with this all the time and I've discovered a ton of great new stuff. Again what do you have to lose?

I'm open to most things as long as they are not physically dangerous, ethically immoral, prohibitively expensive, or put me at risk for public humiliation.

I haven't gone out my way to do this much but I'm certainly open to the idea. I did recently attend my first pow-wow which I enjoyed. I'm comfortable doing this as long as I'm not pressured into converting to their cultural values, religion, etc.

Now this I'm more wary of actually trying. I would be open to the peoples' suggestions but I'd thoroughly research them first before actually trying them but I wouldn't want to risk potentially adverse health effects.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Absolutely

Call me close minded all you want, but I'm not open to trying many exotic foods. If they're plant origin, I'll sometimes give it a shot, but not if they're animal or fungi origin.

I'm open to this as long as the place has been established as relative safe. I'm not going to any war torn places or places known for violent crime

I can be a bit of a snob here because I'm pretty particular about what I like. No one could convince me that it was a good idea to watch some crappy action or horror film. Likewise with TV. I just don't like certain genres.

I'll usually give it a shot, but again I know what styles I like and I can usually tell if I'll be wasting my precious 4 minutes listening to a song.

Depends what kind of activity. I've been bungee jumping, but I wouldn't be up for anything that involves dancing or singing (no new night clubs and no karaoke bars).

As long as I can be an observer rather than a participant, I'll happily involve myself in this kind of thing. Again, I'm not trying any exotic foods and don't make me sing or dance.

Herbal remedies have mostly been as good as useless for me. I've tried many things for many ailments without good results. I'm willing to try alternative before proven methods, but I'm still a skeptic. I also don't like to waste my money.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Probably

I'll be the first person to try it, I love trying new foods.

I'll probably research it first, but once I do I'll be excited to go. However, I will say I have a bias. If you're trying to take me to some city or place in the south I will automatically assume I will hate it. I live in the south, and I dont really like most southern people. So I will just assume that most of those people will be there. If it's out of the country or on the other coast, sign me up.

Skeptical. I need to see what genre it is, and take into account how well the person who recommended it to me, knows me. Recently I was recommended a book called Ishmael, I was skeptical, but I picked it up, and when I started reading it, I couldn't stop. Same with movies, I take recommendations with a grain of salt.

I'll always give it a listen, I like to be pleasantly surprised. I have a wide taste in music (from Satanic Black Brutal Death to Bubble Gum Pop) So if you recommend it I'll give it a listen, but I'm picky. I also trust some people's opinions more than others.

I'll try any activity once, if I like it, I'll continue doing it.

I like studying other cultures, I read various religious books, and I try to learn about other people's heritage. I'm open to experiencing them, but that's about it. I obviously wouldn't adopt them.

If it's not too much of a hassle I'll try it. If it works I'll figure out why it worked, if not, no harm no foul.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts