Personality Cafe banner

New MLK Statue Erected

1346 Views 47 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  OrchidSugar
This bronze statue was erected to commemorate the life and legacy of beloved civil rights activist Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The location is Boston.

Edit: More context in comment #17

Hand Sky Leg Human body Sculpture

Plant Tree Wood Sculpture Art

Water Human body Chest Thigh Art

Glasses Plant Sculpture Organism Wood
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
I get the artistry and stuff but would have loved to see his face and image as a symbol. This seems to muffle the message behind abstraction, although it seems like a beautiful sculpture.

What do I know though. I believe MLK was killed by those in power when he began to mobilize people to protest using the power of their dollar.
Kind of looks like someone kissing their own butt, or someone "going down" on their lover. It seems a bit abstract for the concept they were attempting to achieve, however, shouldn't art be at least a little controversial, if not provocative?
I like it.What I'm seeing is the US was built on relationships. Quite provocative. And those carry deeper and heavier than a monument could express.
Them golden knuckles though.
I suspect it's quite interesting and evocative in an intended way when viewed as designed, standing on the ground.
It would have been cool to see Martin Luther King crushing a coca cola can if they wanted to be abstract. I feel like this is censorship.
Kind of looks like someone kissing their own butt, or someone "going down" on their lover. It seems a bit abstract for the concept they were attempting to achieve, however, shouldn't art be at least a little controversial, if not provocative?
  • Wow
Reactions: tanstaafl28
Oh, I have to hear your rationale, please?
It would have been cool to see Martin Luther King crushing a coca cola can if they wanted to be abstract. I feel like this is censorship.
Reactions: MadMaxSDP
I don't think it's too interesting...but..

The day before he was assassinated this happened:

Coca-Cola is also a symbol of reckless industrialization in the techno-plutocracy so King stomping on this can would be epic.
Oh, I have to hear your rationale, please?
Its giving "human centipede" vibes
It’s called “The Embrace” by Hank Willis Thomas. Dedicated to MLK and Coretta Scott King honoring their relationship. They stood by each other no matter what.
Now it makes me kinda sad that the artist probably had good intentions and enjoyed expressing them self, to see kind of mixed reactions from it.
It’s called “The Embrace” by Hank Willis Thomas. Dedicated to MLK and Coretta Scott King honoring their relationship. They stood by each other no matter what.
They need to redo this.

Give us a bronze statue of MLK. Simple and effective.
Ok time to come clean. I was stirring the pot a little bit. Dalien is correct. The sculpture was in celebration of Dr. King's marriage with wife Coretta Scott King. It is based on this image of their arms locked in embrace.

Flash photography Gesture Interaction Black-and-white Happy

All the same, the statue is a bit 2Phallic4Me. I feel like given the size, a mold or a model would have been made prior, so they should have been aware of how it looks from various angles, including the aerial and side views.
I've seen it in person. It's not bad, I like the symbolism, but it could've been executed better. Most people I know don't like it. I think it'll grow on them. Personally, I'm angrier at the fact MassArt or SMFA faculty wasn't given the right or even the opportunity.
In all likelihood his murder was orchestrated by the FBI. No way to know for sure, because that would require the FBI to investigate themselves lol.
I get the artistry and stuff but would have loved to see his face and image as a symbol. This seems to muffle the message behind abstraction, although it seems like a beautiful sculpture.

What do I know though. I believe MLK was killed by those in power when he began to mobilize people to protest using the power of their dollar.
I don't think it's too interesting...but..

The day before he was assassinated this happened:

Coca-Cola is also a symbol of reckless industrialization in the techno-plutocracy so King stomping on this can would be epic.
That's a very interesting part of history I never knew. No surprise Coca-Cola is one of the top performers on the stock market. In MLK's birthplace of Atlanta, Georgia, The World of Coca-Cola is now a major tourist attraction.
Photograph Product Human Font Travel

Its giving "human centipede" vibes
Yes it is lol
Not here to fuck centipedes.
Saw an opportunity. Went for it. Respect!
They need to redo this.

Give us a bronze statue of MLK. Simple and effective.
Agreed. Based on the same image, I think they could have done something with the two busts. Or basically their faces making the humps of a heart, and the pointed angle of Coretta's arm making the bottom portion of a heart shape 🖤
1 - 20 of 48 Posts