Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm curious about this. do other ENFPs get the same buzz off meeting new people that i do? i love it, it is literally one of my favourite activities, especially in a brand new environment. when i look back at the best times in my life, it's always been places where there have been a lot of people to meet and get to know.

i think it's because there are so many possibilities and opportunities with meeting new people, and so much new information is coming at me. but i seem to be the only person i know who has this trait.

it's why im so looking forward to that first day of uni, where everyone is in the same boat of being anxious to meet people and make friends. it also ties into why i like to circulate around different groups so much.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm in a little different boat... I'm practically straight up the E/I line. I am the one sitting there wanting desperately to know everyone's stories and share my own while the thought of doing so makes my heart beat so hard I think I should probably swear off caffeine lest I actually implode.

So sometimes I sit quietly, hoping someone else gets the conversation going, and other times I force myself to increase my risk of heart attack and just start talking. It seems I have a knack for putting people at ease once I finally DO open my mouth, it's just getting started that is hard for me sometimes.

·
Registered
185 Posts
OMG are you kidding? being the social bugs we are... we can befriend anyone, anywhere, anytime, anyhow...

I love this part of me. It is sooo my nature to be outgoing and start a friendship waiting for the darn bus! (and yes I have done this!)

Life is too short and I want to experience ALL of it.:laughing:

(great thread by the way!!)

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'm the person who talks to someone for 3 minutes and is like "OMG you are so awesome! we should totally hang out!"

·
Registered
79 Posts
Question. I've recently gotten over my generalized anxiety and have been almost dare I say, crying with happiness lately because this is the first time I've ever been myself. :proud:

I get like high off meeting new people! It's so exciting to see what their life is like and their interests and the possibility's of combing forces.... being the completely novice ENFP I am... do girls think I'm trying to flirt with them even through I'm just being my friendly self?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I really do enjoy meeting new people, but I'm not on the high end of E. I don't thrive off of it. I do get a high from having friendly, awesome encounters with new people though. I just don't get sick and tired of the ones I already know.

·
Registered
815 Posts
do girls think I'm trying to flirt with them even through I'm just being my friendly self?

Probably. ENFPs are considered by others to be huge flirts. I mean, we are huge flirts a lot of times, but sometimes we are just being ourselves and others take it as being interested in them sexually.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I really do enjoy meeting new people, but I'm not on the high end of E. I don't thrive off of it. I do get a high from having friendly, awesome encounters with new people though. I just don't get sick and tired of the ones I already know.
That's me too, I have a group of friends, but I'm always wanting to meet new people, putting myself into situations where I don't know anyone, it just gives me a good feeling on the inside =)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Oh yes. I definately do. It's great, cuz my family's military, so we moved every 3 or so years growing up, so meeting people has become a perfected art for me. :laughing:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I love meeting new people, and I love hearing their stories. The only bad thing is when they ask me about myself, and I tend to get really quiet. It's not because I'm nervous about telling them anything. It's more a matter of I don't want to make them feel uncomfortable because of everything that's happened in my past. People inevitably ask me something about a mum, dad, brother, the way I was raised, etc. It's not something I want to tell them, because a lot of people just go "Oh, I'm so sorry..." and get really quiet, no matter how much I tell them it's okay. I feel like my past pushes people away when they learn about it, and it makes me hesitate to tell people about it. That's my only anxiety with meeting new people. Other than that, I love it, and I could even agree that I do get a rush off of it a lot.

Reactions: stephante

·
Registered
40 Posts
Question. I've recently gotten over my generalized anxiety and have been almost dare I say, crying with happiness lately because this is the first time I've ever been myself. :proud:

I get like high off meeting new people! It's so exciting to see what their life is like and their interests and the possibility's of combing forces.... being the completely novice ENFP I am... do girls think I'm trying to flirt with them even through I'm just being my friendly self?
Probably. ENFPs are considered by others to be huge flirts. I mean, we are huge flirts a lot of times, but sometimes we are just being ourselves and others take it as being interested in them sexually.
I understand this. It's oddly one of my favorite perks about being married. I get along with guys easier than with girls a lot of the times, but hate to come across as a flirt considering I've been in a committed relationship for quite a while. Having the ring on my finger makes me feel better about talking to random people because it's a pretty sure sign that I'm NOT flirting. Or rather, not flirting because I'm interested. I feel ENFPs tend to use flirting as a general means of communication? Thinking back, it's the people I didn't flirt with, ie my husband, who I was actually interested in.

I'm the same with that too, except it was my dads work...also means we're good at goodbyes eh?
My dad's work, too! I think life would have been a little easier as a full-fledged E sometimes.

I'm fairly stoic about goodbyes these days. The important people will keep in touch, though it's usually surprising who that turns out to be!

Reactions: rachelbird26

·
Registered
815 Posts
Thinking back, it's the people I didn't flirt with, ie my husband, who I was actually interested in.
o_O I'm the SAME. I have such a hard time letting people I actually like know I am interested, and in fact, I usually appear to be more the "best friend". But the guys I really do just want to be friends with I'm super flirty and making sexual jokes and stuff.

·
Registered
79 Posts
o_O I'm the SAME. I have such a hard time letting people I actually like know I am interested, and in fact, I usually appear to be more the "best friend". But the guys I really do just want to be friends with I'm super flirty and making sexual jokes and stuff.
Make that 3. I'm only starting to get into this but I think the girls I'm actually interested in I don't get into that normal me... really talkative friendly thing.(thats apparently flirty... I DONT KNOW ANY OTHER WAY TO COMMUNICATE!)lol

QUEstiON: When you guys meet new people and are about to split up and go into a different direction do you ever get their number or anything. I don't because I think it would make the person uncomfortable but I need more experienced ENFP on long term friendships. (maybe this needs to be a new thread.

·
Registered
40 Posts

It was quite a conundrum... Guys fell into a few categories for me: 1) not interested in dating them, so I'd kiss them, and 2) VERY interested in dating, so I'd talk to them for hours and give them relationship advice. :confused:

If it's any consolation, I played the "best friend" route with my husband (through his break up with a prior fiancee, in fact), and it did end up with us being together. Eventually. Haha.

The brilliant thing about being yourself is that it eventually ends up with you finding someone who actually likes YOU and not something you're trying to be.

Make that 3. I'm only starting to get into this but I think the girls I'm actually interested in I don't get into that normal me... really talkative friendly thing.(thats apparently flirty... I DONT KNOW ANY OTHER WAY TO COMMUNICATE!)lol

QUEstiON: When you guys meet new people and are about to split up and go into a different direction do you ever get their number or anything. I don't because I think it would make the person uncomfortable but I need more experienced ENFP on long term friendships. (maybe this needs to be a new thread.
I can't say I'm a number-getter. But I personally can't stand talking on the phone. And I only text my husband, sister, and best friend on a regular basis.

This might be where my E/I split comes into play, but I'm the type to have a few (between 3-5) honest to goodness close intimate friends. I keep in touch with them on a regular basis. And then there is a bigger group (10-15) of people I'll invite over for a cookout. And then there is everyone else... people who hang out at the coffee shop I frequent... random classmates whose names I can't recall even though we talk in class.... I'll never have what I'd consider an actual friendship on anything more than a superficial level. The "hey" in the hall kind of level. But depending on how strong your E is, that might make a big difference.

Reactions: kaycee

·
Registered
248 Posts
Oddly enough, it's usually the other person that asks me for contact info. I'm rarely the one to ask. It usually goes something along the lines of "Wow, you're amazingly bright, and you made my day. Before you go... Do you have a number or e-mail address I could reach you at...?" They're hesitant a lot of the time, but that's to be expected. I just smile and give them my e-mail or skype info if they have the program. Only under certain circumstances will I give out my number to anyone. They have to either be seriously amazing or really look like they need someone to talk to. I've also found that those two circumstances end up going hand-in-hand often.

Reactions: kaycee

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'm kinda shy with asking for numbers unless we have been talking all night. If it was just like a 20 minute conversation, I'm not likely to ask. I'm probably more likely to say something like "look me up on facebook!" lol

However, if I meet someone through someone else (like a party hosted by a friend or something) and we have a great time all night, I might be like "we should totally hang out!". Then I will ask if they want to exchange numbers or I will say "let me give you my number if you ever want to hang out." Then if they want to call they can and if they don't it doesn't have to be awkward.

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,207 Posts
I love meeting new people, especially if it's in a familiar atmosphere like a restaurant I frequent or a party at the house of someone I know. I'm not a fan of the club scene so I don't show my face around there often, a house party with gallons of booze suits me quite well enough thank you, haha.

I feel like I actually "overcharge" meeting a bunch of new people. When I get home after I get tired and my muscles even get a little sore. As if I burned too hot...Anyone experience that sensation?

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I get home after I get tired and my muscles even get a little sore. As if I burned too hot...Anyone experience that sensation?
yes. it's called "having had a good night out". :wink:

what are you guys like in a brand new environment where others are nervous? this is where i feel like i'm different from everyone else, in that i thrive off new people so much that at a new place, where everyone else is feeling nervous and a little apprehensive, and in fact i've noticed as a social phenomenon this is the only time almost everyone is submissive (as in overly willing to follow people), wheras it's probably the most comfortable situation for me and one in which i feel incredibly confident.

i read that a couple of you have moved around a lot, i've called 11 different locations my home so that could have something to do with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts