Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's wwwwooooonnnnndddddeeerrrrrfffffuuuulllll. Just sayin'. I could break it down, but i'm even curious if there are any on Perc. that would appreciate this style of music.

Brutal, Beautiful, Sharp, Biting, Intense, Lofty, Cold, Angry, Chaotic(especially the break at 4:08) Oh the melodies, and textures, and time signatures, and scales, and drum sequencing.....catnip for my Se....and my head and heart are one in this track......so technical and so moving at once....a modern day master and genius....the one and only Squarepusher

I especially like 4:08 on cuz' of all the lovely little sonic details I can pick out and savor and enjoy over and over, it's so rich and complex with flavor that it'll take me quite some time to tire of......enjoy!

·
Registered
960 Posts
I can see it. That was enjoyable. Thanks for sharing! --- On a side note, when I was a kid I believed I could "write music" by drawing it in squigly lines and explosions of dots and the like. I was determined to express the music I created in my head with pictures. :laughing: That video took me back. LOL.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Berdudget

That video is perfect for you than haha. Plenty of explosions of dots to be sure. Awesome story btw. I think that's pretty cool actually. Maybe Squarepusher did that too as a kid and now he's living out his fantasy.

****p.s. i love your donnie darko avatar. one of my favorite movies of all time. i love anything to do with time travel honestly. My signature gif. is a wonderful movie too imo, and it's centered around what? That's right: time travel. lol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow, this is great. Honestly, I never really gave electronic music a chance before you messaged me about Squarepusher the other night but this is great stuff. I love the technicality, it's fun closing my eyes and picking out all the different individual layers. Definitely catnip for Se, as you mentioned. Any other other electronic artists (or other cool Squarepusher songs) you can recommend?

Reactions: cityofcircuits

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@jaymond00

i listen to tracks like this over and over and over just to enjoy all of those wonderful details as i mentioned before but it's cool to hear someone else does the same thing. Especially someone that can appreciate the technical/musical aspects of the song, which i figured you would.

oh snap! how much time do we have? haha, most definately yes....let's see:

The gateway drug for many a Squarepusher fan from back in the day, this track really got him recognized, the aptly titled, "Do You Know Squarepusher?" Plus you might appreciate his awesome beard action from then :

Catnip begins at about 2:27 when it gets, you know, more technical so to say.....i'll pm you about other similar songs/artists you might enjoy as well:

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@WindowLicker

Of course it will! I won't name names but we all know who sells out right!? There was an Aphex song that was used/whipped together for a Nike ad at one time believe it or not, so now it's Squarepusher's turn.

Love the song and the name btw......

·
Registered
764 Posts
Anyone who likes money, and all 70's-90's rock bands? If squarepusher is in a car commercials I will not buy the car, because I'm broke and it would probably end up like in one of those "check out how fast this car is" commericals.
That was the best Nike commercial ever made ever btw.

·
Registered
66 Posts
@jaymond00

i listen to tracks like this over and over and over just to enjoy all of those wonderful details as i mentioned before but it's cool to hear someone else does the same thing. Especially someone that can appreciate the technical/musical aspects of the song, which i figured you would.

oh snap! how much time do we have? haha, most definately yes....let's see:

The gateway drug for many a Squarepusher fan from back in the day, this track really got him recognized, the aptly titled, "Do You Know Squarepusher?" Plus you might appreciate his awesome beard action from then :

Catnip begins at about 2:27 when it gets, you know, more technical so to say.....i'll pm you about other similar songs/artists you might enjoy as well:

YES! Give me more! I found myself coming back and listening to that new Squarepusher song numerous times throughout the day today. So good...

You should PM me a list of specific songs or whole albums to download...

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone who likes money, and all 70's-90's rock bands? If squarepusher is in a car commercials I will not buy the car, because I'm broke and it would probably end up like in one of those "check out how fast this car is" commericals.
That was the best Nike commercial ever made ever btw.
Haha true dat'. Iwas thinking more specific electronic artists that aren't aphex or squarepusher.
Yeah that commercial was awesome no doubt.

So windowlicker.....what do you think of the new Squarepusher album and what do you think of him in general?
Also, imo, Aphex is on break cuz of his family life and raising at least one kid>>>his daughter. But i can't wait until he comes back. What's your favorite Aphex album? Or should i say Rdj album because he goes by many names.....

·
Registered
764 Posts
@cityofcircuitsThe beginning of most of the songs are a little directionless but once he gets into an actual rythm it makes pretty good drug music! haha jk

Dammit I wanted to have his children... lol I have a huge aphex twin playlist on youtube, but I've only listened to two actual albums and one was an EP so I can't really comment there. Aphex twin cds are hard to come by.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@cityofcircuitsThe beginning of most of the songs are a little directionless but once he gets into an actual rythm it makes pretty good drug music! haha jk

Dammit I wanted to have his children... lol I have a huge aphex twin playlist on youtube, but I've only listened to two actual albums and one was an EP so I can't really comment there. Aphex twin cds are hard to come by.
(Reads first sentence.....)
Shhhhhh.......don't tell anyone. Honestly Sp is my favorite electronic artist/musician ever but yeah he has alot of songs that take forever to get into. Almost like it's a jam session before discovering what 'clicks'. His drum n' bass skills need no explanation but his melodies are not that ..... dare i say.....magnetic or impactful always. Now he does have some great songs with wonderful melodies but it's not his forte' i think. His basslines and beats is where he's insane at. Aphex on the other hand is usually more melodic,various chords, scales. Sp seems to have these reoccuring chords and scales. Plus Sp is definitely jazz based and influenced whereas Aphex.....

I have the Rdj album, Drukqs, 26 mixes for cash, and selected Ambient works Volume 1. My first album was the Rdj album and i still love it especially girl/boy song, 4, and fingerbib. I have quite the love for Aphex too. I don't want to have his babies but i wish i was friends with him lmao.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I had no idea he was coming out with a new album. I'm certainly looking forward to this because he, Aphex Twin, and Boards of Canada were the main artists that got me into electronic music.

@jaymond00 The first album I heard from him was Hard Normal Daddy. I'd say most of the tracks on that one are among his best and it's definitely a great place to start. If you like his jazzier-sounding stuff, Music is Rotted One Note is also worth looking into.

A couple songs I'd recommend:

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
@<span class="highlight"><i><a href="http://personalitycafe.com/member.php?u=4816" target="_blank">Who</a></i></span>

Yes!

Another Squarepusher fan on Perc.!
Oh yeah i forgot about Music is Rotted One Note. I remembered buying that at a local record store the day it came out.
I personally love his more brutal digital mind**** songs.

@<span class="highlight"><i><a href="http://personalitycafe.com/member.php?u=36626" target="_blank">jaymond00</a></i></span>

If you buy any of his albums maybe save selection sixteen and burning n ntree for last.

Oh yeah, Plaid!!!!!!
I love Plaid as well, they aren't as 'crazy' as Squarepusher and the like so to say but still, i love their sound production and music....here's one of my favorites of theirs, if you want to skip the long intro just go to about 1:45 i think and on.....it's intense imo:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts