Personality Cafe banner

New starts

[ISTP] 
2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Yamato 
#1 ·
I've been seventeen for about half an hour, my senior year starts next month, and then I'll be eighteen and on my own. Does anything good in particular happen for senior year? Did you do a senior prank and if you did what was it? Lastly was living on your own hard at first to pay for everything you need, and what was really annoying to do since your on your own and before the little boring things were done for you by your parents. I really don't want to deal with paying bills or tax crap, it seems so annoying to remember and then do, I'd rather have a something to automatically do boring stuff for me like bills and number crap.

#2 ·
Ok...I'm going to tell you a secret....Being a grown up sucks, but the only one who would enjoy a life with a man-baby, is the man-baby himself. You've lived all your life with your parents wiping your ass for you, so complaining about having to wipe your own ass now that you're almost an adult is just disgraceful. Suck it up and start doing the boring shit that no one wants to do- though they know they have to, if you ever want anyone to look at you with respect and not disgust.

Unless you're filthy rich, in that case you can just pay someone to do it for you.

Anyway, for anyone still living under a rock: http://lifehacker.com/

#3 ·
Ok...I'm going to tell you a secret....Being a grown up sucks, but the only one who would enjoy a life with a man-baby, is the man-baby himself. You've lived all your life with your parents wiping your ass for you, so complaining about having to wipe your own ass now that you're almost an adult is just disgraceful. Suck it up and start doing the boring shit that no one wants to do- though they know they have to, if you ever want anyone to look at you with respect and not disgust.

Unless you're filthy rich, in that case you can just pay someone to do it for you.

Anyway, for anyone still living under a rock: Lifehacker - Tips and downloads for getting things done

#4 ·
Your senior year of high school is what you make of it--sure it's stressful, because you don't know exactly what will happen next or even if you're ready for what might happen. But the best way to go through it is to suck it up and just do it, as well as accept the responsibilities that come afterwards. My situation was different from yours because I had already been living away from my parents and had been doing a lot of day-to-day stuff (eg laundry) on my own already. But overall my senior year of high school was a positive experience--improved my GPA for college admission (which I think I was pushed into too soon), joined a new extracurricular activity, met a couple of new people. Yeah, being an adult sucks sometimes. But we all have to go through it.

Reactions: soppixo
#7 ·
What happens? You'll graduate, then spend the summer missing all those 'great' times you had, even though they weren't that great. Then you'll go to college where you'll study something (under water basket weaving? Doesn't really matter these days) and get another piece of paper with a huge bill stapled to it. Then you'll be out in the work force, trying to make ends meet, eating ramen and bologna to keep costs down. At some point you'll meet a woman who will treat you right until you marry her, at which point she'll pack on 40 lbs and turn into the ice queen from hell. You'll likely end up buying a house for her at some point. You won't have much say in it if you want to get laid that year. If you're lucky you won't have kids with her so the divorce, when it comes, will go smoothly. You'll lose all your stuff (as anything of any value will either be given to her by the courts or she'll burn it in the front yard) and pay 75% of your weekly income as child support (if you have kids) and alimony.

Pretty much, life sucks and then you die.

Sounds awesome, doesn't it?

#8 ·
To be fair, you're still young. When you get a few years older, your fear of leaving the comfortable sanctuary of your parents' home will turn into a mad desperation to get the hell out of there. The prospect of keeping a budget and doing your own laundry won't seem so daunting then.

#10 ·
When I was in high school I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, except that I didn't want to have to deal with loans, mortgages, and insurance. I didn't want to be tied down to anything, especially "imaginary" things like interest and insurance. I think it's part of an ISTP's natural drive to be free and self-sufficient.

I love being an adult sooo much more than being a subject in my parents house (even though I had it easy there). Find a job you enjoy doing (for me, it was bus and truck driving and bicycle mechanics, although if I had to do it over again I'd be something more like an engineer or air traffic controller or military) . . . anyway, if you enjoy what you're doing it gives you a tremendous freedom. It's great being able to run your own life, make your own decisions, and learn from your own mistakes. It was also important to me in my 20s to live in a place (Vermont) that was absolutely beautiful and slow-paced, and where I could do things I loved to do like hike, bike, and snowboard. You won't be the same kind of adult other people are, but be yourself. Adulthood is something to look forward to.

One tip: stay out of debt. It seems fairly universal to ISTPs that we need to be financially free to feel free. Don't fall into the credit card trap, and be very careful taking out loans for college. Then pay it off as quickly as you can.

#11 ·
My last year of HS absolutely sucked. I couldn't wait to move out, relocate, get a new job, and start supporting myself. (I took to the transition really well.)
Being an adult is the best thing that ever happened to me.
Imagine it: you can eat whatever you want. You can come and go as you please. You don't have to answer to anybody, unless you choose to. It's AWESOME.
Things may come to challenge you, hard times may come. But if you're smart you can find ways to handle them, no matter how young or green you are. You can make this last year in HS great, if your circumstances will allow for it. Get in, get your education, have fun. Your life is just beginning.

#14 ·
I love adulthood :O !!! Just love it. If you do not waste your time and decide wisely to plan both work and relaxation time, it can be a true adventure. As long as I am independent - then I am happy : that's why I am a little bit scared to set up my own family. And I do not have to be rich to enjoy life - it much more depends on careful planning of my spending.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.