Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
maybe this has been done before, but I had this brainwave on the bus today and came up with two new ways of grouping the types into temperaments.

1. Based on dominant and inferior: the types in these "temperaments" may have very different life styles, but similar quirks

N - -S
: ENTP, ENFP, INTJ, INFJ

S - - N: ESTP, ESFP, ISFJ, ISTJ
(I know they don't seem to have much in common, but: ISTJ will predict the end of the world from one small negative detail/ one frightening possibility; ESFP will predict a golden age based on one random positive detail)

F - - T: ENFJ, ESFJ, INFP, ISFP

T - - F: INTP, ISTP, ENTJ, ESTJ

2. Based on the two middle functions: the types in these "temeperaments" will have similar internal struggles, with the aux trying to shut down the tertiary; unhealthy: tertiary wins --> dom/tert loop or hyperintrovert/ hyperextravert, healthy: aux wins or aux and dom work together

TF:
ENTP, ESTP, INTJ, ISTJ

FT: INFJ, ISFJ, ENFP, ESFP

NS: INTP, INFP, ENTJ, ENFJ

SN: ESTJ, ISTP, ISFP, ESFJ

What do you think? Do these types have enough in comon psychologically (not necessarily outwardly) to group them together like this? Do you observations confirm or falsify this grouping?
(Hope I got all the details right.)
@LiquidLight ????

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
Do we not speak in similar terms already when considering opposing functions? It's common to discuss the dominant/inferior relationship, yet, a similar relationship exists between the auxiliary/tertiary except the pull is not as strong. It's possible to group them according to function as well.

Ne/Si. Si/Ne -- entp, enfp, isfj, istj
Se/Ni. Ni/Se -- estp, esfp, infj, intj ...

and, to follow a similar pattern for the auxiliary.

Ne/Si. Si/Ne -- intp, infp, esfj, estj
Se/Ni. Ni/Se -- istp, isfp, enfj, entj ...

Interesting. Group one contains both your theoretical matches in one line. Group 2 contains one match in each line. My addition of groups 3 and 4 does the same for shadow episodes and grips of the inferior.

edit; This is curious, the shadow appears as both a beneficial relationship and as a source of stress. Could it be that we take on proprieties of our shadow functions in times of intense concentration and in times of difficulty?

Reactions: FlaviaGemina

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
... totally off topic, but why am I thinking about Murakami's Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World? I wonder if his relationship with the physical shadow is drawn out from Jungian theory.

oh, yeah. Shadow is flipping the switch on your functions. Introverted functions become extroverted, etc. ENTP<-->INTJ. Inferior grip is like walking on your hands, toe hanging. Or reading the function stack in reverse. ENTP<-->ISFJ, INTJ<-->ESFP.

We're definitely on the same page, now, what do those groupings mean? Looking at your first grouping: I have typed myself as ENFP as much as ENTP; the deciding factor was my absolutely abysmal Te. People did mistake me for INTJ/INFJ because they confused my speaking from experience and choosing what is most probable for this particular situation for Ni.

... by exploring different groupings, are we not studying the relationships, similarities and differences between types and are practising a derivative of socionics?

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... totally off topic, but why am I thinking about Murakami's Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World? I wonder if his relationship with the physical shadow is drawn out from Jungian theory.
Yep, I was wondering that too. It's probably because you're an ENTP. :)
LOL, will come back tomorrow to post something more meaningful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts