Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not completely new to the whole personality typing thing, but this is one of the first times I'm actually posting a thread on one of these forums. I've only done the online testing which may or may not be completely accurate, so I filled in one of the questionnaires. Most people I know in real life have no idea about this kind of stuff, so I can't really go up to anyone and ask them what they think I am. However, people here seem to understand it way more than I do, so I thought I'd give it a go :) I apologize if my answers and this post become too lengthy. I tend to get carried away when I'm typing xD

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I'm not too familiar with the entire thing, and what each letter means completely. I understand the difference between E/I, but the rest still confuse me on how it affects a person, especially N/S and F/J. A while ago, I had a conversation with someone, and I was having trouble deciding on if I was a Feeler or Thinker. She thinks that I'm a definite Feeler, but due to my lack of understanding, I was having doubts and thought I was a Thinker, but that might've been just because school recently started, and I've been needing to think a lot, and nothing really makes much sense to me right now xD

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
Honestly, I have no idea what I want. When I was younger, I wanted to get a good job that made a lot of money. I eventually realized that I only wanted that to make my family happy because it was a dream that many of them wanted to reach. As of right now, I just want to go through life without a major plan, and see where I end up from there. Happiness and freedom of choice is my only goal at the moment, but I'm really not sure why.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I was reading a story. I easily get lost in fiction, and while I'm reading, I will start believing that I'm actually living in that book. Whenever I'm stuck in a story, I start feeling as if I am part of the story. If it's a good story, the adventures become part of my memories, and the characters start feeling as if I really knew them.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Like I mentioned before, I tend to get lost in stories easily. However, when those stories end, and I'm snapped back to reality, I start feeling useless for not doing anything with my life. It's really hard to describe, especially if the person I'm saying it to has no idea what I'm talking about xD

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
As much as I hate to admit it, my decisions usually depend on what I think would make people feel the happiest, unless it's something that I really don't want to do. I try to choose things that would make everyone happy, but if I'm against it, I won't choose it.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I'm a major procrastinator (right now, I'm supposed to be finishing a story...), and I don't really focus on anything with my work... I have a basic idea of what I want to do, but I'll just fix things as I go. Just as long as the end result is great, then I don't really worry about anything else xD

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
I used to live in a house with a pool in the backyard. A couple of times, on Fridays after school, I'd drop my stuff off inside, and change into something I could use to swim in. Then, I'd sit there and put my feet in the water and listen to music, or just swim around for a while (and by a while, sometimes I'd be in the water for hours). Sometimes, I'd put goggles on, and dunk half of my head in the water and keep the other half above and look at the scenery. It looked like it was half submerged in water xD

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
First, I'd have to understand the general concept of what I'm learning. Then, I tend to be more hands on if I'm actually interested enough. Memorization isn't my thing, especially since I usually don't have much motivation for that xD

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
Not at all. My stuff? Organized for a bit, but a day later, it's a complete mess. My head? I don't even know what happens most of the time. I think of things, but then something else takes over, and sometimes, I don't even think at all.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
If it makes sense, I'll accept it as a possibility. That doesn't necessarily mean that I completely agree with it, but if it makes sense, and there's a chance of it being true, then why should I treat it like it's pointless? Just because it has no support, it doesn't mean it couldn't actually be real.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Hm... this is actually really difficult to answer xD I try to make sure that everyone's alright, but I'm try to be myself at the same time and don't try to force myself into a group. I guess I'd like to feel like I belong somewhere, but that's really hard to achieve since I don't want to fake being myself.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
I don't talk constantly, but when I do, I usually just speak without thinking first. After that, what I said would register in my brain. I don't speak all that loudly, so depending on what I said and how stupid it was, I could either say "Never mind" or repeat what I said, but louder so someone else can hear it. I prefer one-on-one than group because I tend to feel out of place in a group.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
Actions definitely speak more than words, in my opinion. You can say things as much as you want, but words don't do anything until someone does something about it. Honestly, my preference could go either way depending on how I'm feeling. Sometimes, I'll do things just because I feel like it. However, some things, I'll think about it before doing it. More often than not, I'll just do things because I'm bored and I think it might be a good idea, but I don't really think much about it.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
No contest. I'd stay inside and watch the show.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
In public, I'll act like it's nothing and that it's no big deal. When I get home, I start overreacting. Start crying about how I can't do it, get extremely overemotional, and start thinking things like "I'm stupid. Why did I want to do this? WHAT WAS I THINKING?!" Sometimes, I get sick because of stress, or at least I act like it xD

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
When they're too pushy about their beliefs, I hate that. Also, I dislike ignorance and when people are closed minded. I admire their ability to feel so strongly about something, but they shouldn't let that affect how they treat people. Also, when people focus only on themselves...

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Ideas of time travel, dreams, and different worlds are some of my favorite things to talk about :)

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?
I tend to forget about my own emotional needs. Real life, in general, too. Most of the time, I don't even know what's happening. I'm usually thinking of a story I read a few years ago or so xD

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?
One friend of mine actually used to call me a Rainbow Carebear who kills people with kindness xD I was also called extremely passive, but still good with people, thoughtful, and patient. They'd never say I'm violent. For the most part, it's right. I have been known to be nice to most people (even if I've been told that they hate me). For years, I've been a friend that some people would go to because I won't judge them and I listen to what they have to say. This one girl once had an emotional moment, and they mentioned how most people would be annoyed with her, but was glad that I had enough patience to deal with her. However, most of my emotions are kept inside, which kind of makes me look really calm and not at all worried about anything. Unless I'm extremely provoked (or online), I seem like things don't actually bother me, and I just let things happen.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
I would be writing, reading, going online, or sitting outside where no one would bother me. If I could, I'd find a clock tower and sit up there if possible, but so far, there's none available where I live :/

Well, I hope I did this questionnaire thing right and the whole posting on the thread xD I'm really interested to see what people think I am :) I've gotten a few opinions from some people in real life before, but I'm really not that familiar with how to type, so maybe you all could help a bit? And maybe even explain why you think I'd be the type you said? Thanks!

·
Registered
930 Posts
You sound INFP to me too ^_^

I - this is pretty obvious, I'm sure you knew you were introverted already :p staying home to watch TV instead of going out, thoughtful and passive, and mainly focused internally rather than externally

N - you focus on what could be rather than what is, you like taking about time travel/different worlds etc :p sensors can talk about that too but usually only when they get dragged into it :p they prefer discussing stuff that's actually happening. You sound more big picture rather than detail orientated.

F - again, no contest. 'A rainbow carebear that fills people with happiness' >.< that one line screams INFP.

P - you said you're disorganised and not very motivated until you have to be, and you don't sound very serious. Welcome to the fun side of the J/P spectrum ;)

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Hi @FantasyAcquirer.
As you are new and you seem like a lovely person then I will dedicate this post to explaining MBTI.

First you should read these:
My MBTI Personality Type - MBTI Basics
My MBTI Personality Type - Understanding MBTI Type Dynamics

I will go through what they say anyways in this post, but they might help.

First of all you got the dichotomies (still can't spell that word): I, E, S, N, F, T, P, J.

The I is for Introvert, introverts recharge while alone and are drained by other people.
The E is of Extrovert, extroverts recharge when around people and are drained while being alone.
These two are the same general terms as you often hear.
There's a lot of bad information on the internet, but plain and simple, it's about where you get your energy.

The S is for Sensing, sensation is the focus on what is, what is tangible, what can be sensed (as in touched, smelled, heard etc.).
The N is for iNtuitive, intuition is the focus on what may be, what is intangible, what can't be sensed.
Both of these are Perceiving functions.

The F is for Feeling, feeling is actually a focus on values; what you see as agreeable/disagreeable, right/wrong etc. It has nothing to do with emotions.
The T is for Thinking, thinking is straightforward - a focus on logic, not the act of thinking.
Both of these are Judging functions.
No one is 100% of one or the other however, you use all the dichotomies to some degree. We'll go over it in just a moment.

The P and J has actually very little impact on how you process information (that is what MBTI is about). It only really helps together with the I/E to explain which cognitive functions you use. MBTI is a Type Indicator for the functions by Carl Jung. Basically a simplification so that everyone can know their type without an in-depth knowledge.

My actual functions are actually: Ni Te Fi Se. As you see, I got both an F and an S function as well. They are however less prefered than my N and T functions.
The I in my type says that the dominant (strongest) function is Introverted (That's Ni).
The J in my type says that the strongest extraverted function is a Judging function (That's Te).

The other 2 functions are just the complete opposite of the first 2 in a cross formation (The opposite of the dominant is inferior, the opposite of the auxiliary is tertiary).

Now,
Sensation is as it sounds, it is however as you know divided into an Extraverted and an Introverted attitude.
Now, Se is an objective function which means that it takes in whatever sensation it is given without any filters. Sensations for an Se user has negligible subjectivity and is only appreciated for the objective experience.
Si on the other hand is a subjective function which means that an Si user has a more subjective approach to sensations and sensations are not just appreciated for their objective experience, but also their subjective; what they mean to the person.

Intuition is often exaggerated beyond proportion as their is a lot of bias towards intuition. Intuition is however about making connections.
Ne users prefer to make connections in the external world and are more likely to discuss their unfinished ideas with other people.
Ni users however prefer to make connections in their head and you are unlikely to be given access to an Ni user's unfinished idea.
They are however like Se and Si, objective vs subjective. Ni is only kept inside as it is subjective, just like Si. Ni in a way, expects external sources to be inadequate to understand the idea or a waste of time.

Feeling is ofc. often misunderstood as meaning "kind", "considerate" etc. but not only was Hitler likely an ENFJ, the F functions focus on values. Everything in MBTI is cognitive.
Fe users follow a broader and more objective sense of what is right or wrong. They might not be idealists, but they are generally the glue that keeps the world together.
Fi users in contrast follow their internal sense of values which is why they are often called idealists. Fi users, just like Ni users and Si users don't want to share their values and when they are forced to extravert them, then they are often expressed in a more immature and pushy way. This is however only because Fi users aren't used to extraverting their values.

Lastly, Thinking is often misunderstood as meaning "smart", or "intelligent" or such. It does however not. We do however have a stronger focus on logic over values however.
Te users follow an extroverted sense of logic. They often discuss ideas or thoughts to come to an objective conclusion and they often trust external systems and experts more than themselves or some other individual (that is not to say that they don't listen to non-experts, just that if an expert says the opposite then they are more likely to trust the expert more, tho not necessarily).
Ti users are like Fi users but about logic. Ti users like @arkigos for example doesn't like it when some external source tries to impose on their sense of logic. They have a tendency to reinvent the wheel because they trust themselves more than other people and "so-called-experts" (This is not to say that they are incapable of agreeing or following an external system or some other person or expert, just that they don't prefer it).

Everything in MBTI is about preference. That means that you can use unpreferred functions (for INTJs then that is Ne, Ti, Fe and Si), it is just not as easy and is more draining. Your actual type does however not change, but you do develop into your type more.

Also, here are some more sources:
Really Me
Psychological Types - Wikisocion

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well. I actually read that whole thing which is kinda rare, but you seem like a really cool person. You seem a lot like me, except I guess I like to talk about more practical / tangible things. (no offense). I do get sort of lost in characters and all that stuff. So anyways, I agree with the posters above me who say you're most likely an INFP. I'm an ISFP btw. Also maybe you could make a video of you speaking or whatever cause sometimes I think it's a lot easier to tell a person's type when you can see the way they use their eyes and hands and eyebrows and the way they dress and project their voice...like all those sort of actions we don't really control.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@LaTortugaChina Thank you :) You can post videos on here? Once I figure out how, I might put one up. Thanks for answering! :) And I'm used to being told that what I talk about isn't really practical, so I took no offense to your comment xD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts