Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like my title said, I'm really new to Socionics and although I'm learning as fast as I can I would so appreciate some outside thoughts. I'm sorry if this is too long. I tried to answer the questions as specifically as I could, but if there's anything that is ambiguous to you, please feel free to ask.

Block I

General to specific, specific to general – what does it mean?

At first I was going to say something like "It means what it says," but after I thought about it for a few minutes I realized that it's probably talking about an idea where each (general and specific) feeds into the other on a continuous loop.

What does "logical" mean? What is your understanding? Do you think that it correlates with the common view?

This question is definitely not as easy to answer as it seems. I think the best definition I could give is that logic is the ability to not only solve a problem, but also to define the boundaries that make the problem solvable. I don't know if that's the common definition. Probably?

How do you explain fractions on the dial of the clock?

This is another odd question for me. I guess you mean if I were explaining it to a child or someone who'd never seen a clock before? If I were I would point out the 12 numbers equating to the hours, the fact that every three hours the hour needle points North, South, East or West (I enjoy stuff like that), the minute increments and how the numbers are not only the hours but also the number of minutes that each hour has gone through.

What is a rule? What rules do you have to follow?

A rule is a guideline for behavior. I think what rules you have to follow depend on the circumstances that you're in. I can say with certainty that the most solid rules to me are the ones that keep people from physically harming each other. Beyond that is really where circumstances come in. Like, for instance, I will usually follow the rules at work no matter how little I like them, unless they're useless rules that inhibit my job. Even then I'd want to be really careful, because if you take on a job you agree to submit yourself to the rules of the company. In general though, I don't think you have to follow most rules so long as you're willing to take the consequences, which I rarely am.

What is hierarchy? Do you need to follow it? Why or why not?

I think hierarchy is a system of control, centered around a smaller number of people having the easiest lifestyles, jobs and privileges and a larger number of people having the worst of those things. As much as I would like to not follow hierarchy, the society that I live in is based upon it. Politics, companies, families and education are all built on the idea of hierarchy. I think the only way to really step away from it is to step away from society, and I don't want to do that.

What do you think of instructions? Do you use them? Could you write an instruction manual? If so, what type of instruction manual would you most likely write?

I think instructions are useful when paired with independent investigation. I do use them somewhat. Especially with technology, if it's new. I often need to read instructions in order to understand how to do things like setting up a new computer. But once the computer is set up, I'll usually set aside the instructions and find all of its features on my own. I think I could write an instruction manual if it was very basic. My favorite instruction manuals are the ones that have mostly pictures, with the words only highlighting or explaining the things that you can't see in a picture, so that'd be the kind I would create.

Please explain: "Freedom is in complying with the laws, but not in ignoring the laws"? Do you agree with the statement? Why?

Basically, I think it's saying that as long as you follow the laws, you have freedom to move within their confines. If
you don't, you lose your freedom because you break the laws and have your actions restrained. I agree with the statement because that's how the law works, by which I mean it's a factual statement. However, it's the kind of thing that I think could be taken to an extreme, so in that way I really dislike it. I would prefer to say that freedom is in your ability to peacefully question and change laws without fear of punishment, but not in ignoring the laws. Then I think it would mean that freedom is found in confronting and being aware of the laws that govern you, rather than complying with them because you’re afraid.

Tell us how about consistent you are?

I think I'm pretty consistent. I certainly have a lot of different interests and sometimes I don't know whether I'm coming or going, but I think I do so in a consistent manner, if that makes sense. If you were to look back on my way of thinking and feeling over the last 10 years or so, I think you'd find a lot of consistency. In fact, sometimes I feel like I'm still 13, with the same inclinations. Of course, that could just be from the perspective of always living in my own life. I may not have enough perspective on myself.

What is a "standard"? Why do people need it?

A standard is a baseline of quality. People need it to make sure that products that are made are not dangerous or a rip off. You can apply that to any situation where standards are necessary.

You need to put your home library in order. How do you feel about this activity?

Fine. It'll probably be nice to see everything that I have again, so that I can read books I forgot I had.

How will you approach this task?

If I were putting my library in order, I would put my books in order of usefulness to me. So I'd have the ones that I'm currently using on the most convenient shelf. The next shelf would be books that I want to read. The last shelf would be books that I'm not especially eager to read/have already read but am not using at the moment.

Block II

What is work in your opinion? Why do people go to work? Are there any parameters where you can distinguish whether you can do this work or not?

Work is any time that you apply effort to something in order to bring something else into existence. Whether that's doing dishes or writing a book really isn't relevant. People go to work either because they have to (in order to afford food and shelter, etc) or because they want to (if their food and shelter is already guaranteed, or if they're doing charity work). Aside from things like "You can't perform surgery until you go to medical school," the only way to really tell if you can do something or not is to try. Really try, like put in actual effort to learn the job. Of course, wanting to do the work matters a lot also. I think usually wanting to do something will lead to actually doing it with the dedication it takes to really master it.

Is there any correlation between quality and quantity? Tell us if or how the price depends on quality?

I think quality decreases as quantity increases. I think if you were to take a recipe and have just one individual make it, then have it manufactured in a factory, the individual's would come out better, even if all of the ingredients were the same and the rules of the recipe were followed. It's probably just because the more of something that you're creating, the less control you have over it and the more people you need to watch over smaller parts. If you only know part of something, you're never going to have the knowledge to create a perfect whole. All you can do is create a bunch of parts and hope they go together correctly in the end.

I'm not sure how much price depends on quality. I think anyone who's tried gluten free bread from a health food store would agree with me that quality is kind of nebulous and often something that has quality in one way will lack it in another, while costing way too much.

How do people determine the quality of work? How do you determine such quality?

I think good quality work depends on actually getting the job done and getting it done well, to expectations if not beyond. I don't really understand this second question. How else would you determine quality than by setting a goal and seeing it met to your expectations?

How well you can determine the quality of any purchase, do you pay any attention to it?

Like I said above, quality is nebulous. Everyone has their own idea of what makes quality. Some people will take that gluten free bread and say that it's high quality because it has good ingredients. Another person will say that it's low quality because the taste is awful. I think I usually define quality by effort and attention to detail. If I were to take that gluten free bread I would think its low quality, not because it doesn't taste good, but because it doesn't taste good AND no one bothered to fix that.

How do you feel if you didn't finish some work? Does it ever happen? What are the reasons?

I don't like to not finish my work, if my work happens to be at a job or something that I'm doing for another person. If it's just for me, it doesn't matter as much because I'm very understanding towards myself. It happens sometimes, if I bite off more than I can chew because I've underestimated the amount of work it takes to finish something, or if someone gives me a lot of work without giving me the time to finish it.

What is "interesting work" for you? Please explain in detail.

I don't have a lot of experience in the field of interesting work. Let me think...*an hour later*...ok. I find cooking to be interesting work. I like it because of the variety-so many different kinds of food to make, you get to work with your hands which makes me feel really involved and in control, there are questions of flavor, process, what equipment to use and timing, availability and quality of ingredients. Plus it makes me feel useful. I think the best work is the work that makes me feel useful. I think being a genealogist would be interesting work up to a degree. I wouldn't enjoy the research all the time, but I would like learning about how different families from different cultures moved around and it would mean something to the people who hired you.

I think interesting work in general would be something that keeps you learning, allows you to be really involved in the process somehow (I wouldn't find it interesting to manage other people who are doing work, in other words), means something to the people who hire you/buy your product and doesn't make you focus too much on doing just one thing. That last one is important to me too. I wouldn't be happy being a line cook or having to show up to work and make the same thing every day, nor would I be happy if I had to do research on only one family. If I can do good work in every particular case and have variety that would be ideal.

You go to the store and see something you're interested in buying; there is a price tag on it. What parameters are you going to use to understand if it's overpriced, underpriced, or priced correctly?

I would decide based on what other people are selling it for, what my budget can afford as well as how much I want it. If I only kind of want it, I won't be willing to pay a high price for it, even if that high price is relatively low compared to what other people are selling the item for.

When you work and someone tells you: "You don't do it right." What is your reaction?

Honestly, my first reaction would probably be saying something offensive towards them in my head. That's probably a reaction from past experience. I've had a lot of jobs where the training was minimal, poor or both and I had to figure things out on my own. There's nothing like being at a job for a while and then finding out that you're not using the system someone else wants you to and no one ever mentioned what that ideal system was. I think for the most part, that if your method gets the job done to good quality, it doesn't matter what your process is.

There is a professional right next to you. You always see that you can't perform the way they do. Your feelings, thoughts and actions?

I would feel a little upset, maybe that I'm less intelligent or worthy than they are. Then I would wonder if they had some kind of advantage that I don't have-better education, better training, more time on the job, etc. If they did then I would conclude that they're not better than I am, just better prepared/trained. If they didn't, I would wonder if this is really the career for me. I definitely have a competitive streak. If all things are equal, I tend to expect myself to do better than someone else.

When you have to ask someone else to help you with the task, how do you feel?

I would feel kind of irritated, as well as grateful that I'm getting help. I wouldn't want them to tell me exactly how to do it though. I don't respond well to that. It feels like micromanaging.

You need to build a pyramid exactly like in Egypt. Your thoughts, feelings and actions?

My thoughts would be along the lines of "that's interesting!" My feelings would be excited and determined as well as maybe a bit worried that I would mess it up. My actions would be to research the dimensions and materials of the pyramid, find out to what scale I need to build it and then get the resources (materials, people, tools) together so I can start building it.

Block III

What is beauty? Do you change your opinion about beauty? Does your understanding correlate with the generally accepted notion? What goes beyond the generally accepted notion?

Beauty is something that someone finds aesthetically pleasing, and it's very subjective to individuals and cultures. If the second question is asking if what I consider beautiful has changed, then yes, a few times. I like to broaden my ideas of beauty as much as I can, so I use my aesthetic preferences as something that makes my life better rather than as a weapon to cut other people or things down. I think you don’t have to look far to see something that goes beyond the generally accepted notion of beauty. Almost every real does, these days.

Please describe your understanding of a beautifully dressed person. What is the core of beauty? How do you explain what is beautiful to a person who has never heard about beauty before?

I think a person who's beautifully dressed will be wearing clothes that suit their body well, in interesting and well balanced colors and textures.

I think the core of beauty in general is to make more of the world acceptable and less scary. A forest of dead trees is less likely to be scary if you see it as beautiful. I think that is how I would describe beauty to a person who had never heard of it before: As a way of seeing the world that tries to encourage a kinder/happier outlook on the world.

Is there a template of understanding what beautiful means for everyone to use? Is there such a term as "classical beauty"? If so, what is it?

I think what I wrote in the last question could be a decent general template. I think there is such a term as classical beauty. I think when you start talking about classical beauty you're actually referencing something other than what I've been talking about. Once you add the word classical to it, you're talking about a historical view on beauty. If someone or something is a classical beauty, the way they look agrees with the cultural view of beauty in the past.

What is comfort? What is coziness? How do you create your comfort and coziness?

Comfort is a feeling of being safe, an expression of yourself that isn't being interrupted. Coziness is a feeling of being warm and close to something/someone else. I think coziness is actually something that exists only in certain spaces or with certain people-it's not something I can control. I don't think an enormous house could ever be called cozy, for example. I create comfort in my home by surrounding myself with things that appeal to me, so that when I'm in that space I can shut out opposing views and stress and just have myself left.

How do others evaluate your skill in doing so? Do you agree with them?

Not applicable. If comfort is about expressing yourself in a safe space, then whether other people appreciate that or not doesn't matter. If coziness is about things outside of your control, like how close you are to someone else or the structure of a building itself, how they're evaluating you doesn't really have anything to do with it.

How do you pick your own clothes? Do you follow fashion? Why? Do you know how to select clothes for different types of figures?

I do have some clothes that I really think are pretty, but for the most part my clothes are chosen based on:

1. They fit.
2. They're not ugly to me.
3. I can move around in them and get stuff done without worrying about ruining them.
4. They don't make me unnecessarily sweaty or fussy.

Occasionally I get into a weird place and end up putting on makeup and silky shirts and skirts because I need to start "treating myself better" or whatever, but when I do that I find I'm a lot less mobile and capable than I normally am. It's annoying.

I don't follow fashion. I don't think fashion is meant to be practical. I have a lot of respect for art, whether it's on a canvas or on a person. I just don’t want to wear it.

I don't know how to select clothes for different figures just off the rack, but once someone is trying something on I can tell them if the colors work with their skin tone or if the cut is good for them or not.

How do you cook? Do you follow recipes? What do others think of your skill?

I follow recipes as a general guideline, but there are actually a lot of variations that you can put into a recipe, as long as the ingredients you're switching out have similar qualities. I rarely get bad reviews on my food, because I really pay attention to what I'm doing when I'm cooking.

Are you good at color patterns and mixing them and matching?

I think I'm pretty good at that. I definitely love color.

If someone is telling you what is beautiful and what is not, what goes with what color and what is not, do you agree with this person?

Probably not. That's the kind of thing I like to determine on my own.

Tell us how you'd design any room, house or an office. Do you do it yourself or trust someone else to do it? Why?

I'm assuming by design this question really means decorate? I'm going to answer it like that, because I have no idea how I'd design a space. I'd trust myself to decorate a space before I trust someone else. It's more personal that way.
I guess I will decorate a hypothetical living room. I always have a lot of paintings on the wall. Actual paintings too, not just prints. I tend to pick them up at garage sales (I actually got a painting by a nationally known artist at a garage sale for $10.00, and I've had it since I was 15) and consignment shops. I love somewhat overstuffed, clean looking furniture in deep colors and I keep around a lot of soft pillows and blankets for decoration and use. My favorite decorative blanket is woven out of shiny threads and shows a pattern of women dancing and playing the tambourine. I plan on putting it on a wall someday as an art piece.

I would have a big coffee table with all of my oversized books on it and my smaller books would be on bookshelves. With the bookshelves and coffee table, they'd be made of wood and be good quality, nothing you'd get from IKEA (I like IKEA as much as anyone, but I don't trust their furniture to hold heavy things). There'd be a lot of plants around and I'd probably have a lot of my personal stuff out-shells from the beach in Florida, crystals that I've had since I was a teenager, animal figurines made out of glass or polished rocks. I love nice rugs too, even on carpet. I don't have a lot of muted colors around. Beige and grey don't work for me in any situation.

How do you know if a person has bad taste? Could you give us an example? Do you always trust your own taste or do you seek opinions from others?

For me, bad taste is generic taste. If you have things in your home or wear them only because someone else said they're nice, then I think you have bad taste. An example? Sure. I cleaned a woman's house a few years ago whose entire house was beige. She was really wealthy because her and her spouse both worked in finance. Their house was huge, but no matter where you went all you saw were generic pieces of furniture that probably cost a fortune, showed no personality and almost never got used. It was a great big beige pile of SAD. I felt so bad for her kids. Their home was more display than a place to live. I felt uncomfortable every time I was there-it was like being in a corporate-sensible doll house.

I do always trust my own taste, just because I'm the one who has to live with my choices. It's all well for someone else to have an opinion on my furniture or my clothes, but unless they have to live in my home or wear my clothes for me, they don't have the last word.

Block IV

Can you line up human resources and make them do things? What methods do you use?

I definitely can, although I'm not usually in situations that warrant it. When I am, I usually try to find out who is best at what, on the basis that someone who’s good at something will be the most efficient at it. I try to make goals that are well organized and clear to everyone involved and get people working towards those goals.

Can you press people? If so, how does it happen?

Yes. Probably just through directly talking to them. This kind of feels like a trick question to me. I’m trying to figure out how you would press someone without being really direct and I’m not coming up with anything.

What is incursion? How do you deal with this? Can you repulse? How easy can you do it?

An attack? By confronting it head on. I have a weird contradiction, that I hate confrontations and I try not to bring them on (most of the time-I think I’m getting over this a little), but if someone comes after me I usually get really pissed off and then I want to confront them. I don’t think it’s a matter of ease. It’s just an instinct.

What does "my people" and "strangers" mean? When do "my people" become "strangers" and why?

“My people” are the people I feel close to, whose company I enjoy and who I trust. Strangers are people who don’t fit those requirements. My people would become strangers if they lost my trust, because as a wise woman (Sophia Petrillo-yes I am a Golden Girls nerd) once said “Where there is no trust there is no family.”

Are there strategies of attack? Can you use them? When is it justified?

You know, I can’t say that I’ve done a lot of strategized attacking. I’m having difficulty thinking of how to answer this question. I’m sure there are lots of ways to attack someone, but I really prefer the most direct way. I think it’s the most fair. I think attacking someone directly (preferably with words-I’m not a fist fight kind of person) is justified when someone comes after you.

Do you think it's ok to occupy someone else's territory? In what situations?

This is too vague for me to know what it’s asking. Why would I occupy someone else’s territory? All I can think of is claiming someone’s bedroom for my own and throwing their furniture out, which I would never do.

What are the methods of volitional force? When is it most effective and in what situations?

If you’re using volitional force you’re using your willpower to push a situation in a certain direction. I think each person would have their own way of doing that. I don’t know how often I use my willpower to get my way, I think I’m in a situation kind of like that right now, where I have a goal I’ve been trying to reach for a few years (move out on my own) and I’m getting closer to it by means of extreme patience, which is I guess where my willpower comes in. I think in this case I’ve used it mostly on myself, to wait for the right time and not be impulsive. I don’t even know if that makes sense in this context. I’d think that volitional force would be most effective in situations where you have long term goals or any goal that can’t be easily met.

How do you protect yourself and your interests?

Either through a barrier system (you’re not getting through) or by removing myself from the situation. For example, if I have a relative that I find is detrimental to my wellbeing, I’ll go out of my way to tune them out and act as if they’re not saying anything (barrier), and then I’ll remove myself from their presence and make it known that I will not stay in the same area they’re in, as well as saying that they’re not welcome in my home (removing myself and barrier).

Describe your behavior in the situations of opposition and if you have to use some force?

My behavior is variable, to be honest. If I really want something I will use force to get it, assuming there’s an obstacle. But there aren’t many things that I really want, so for the most part if something doesn’t meet me halfway I’ll kind of give up. I can be excessively stubborn on very rare occasions.

Do others think of you as a strong person? Do you think you are a strong person?

Not really, no. I think people see that I’m pretty quiet and very patient and assume that I’m not strong because of that. I definitely think I’m a strong person, though. I’ve been through a lot of bad situations and although I didn’t always have the ability to change the situation (being a kid/teenager for most of my life) I’ve survived them all and am still moving forward. In a lot of ways I’m rediscovering what I want out of my life. That takes a lot of strength.

How do you understand if a person is strong? Are there any signs of a strong person? What is the core of any force? Why do people listen to one person, but not the other?

I think a person is strong if they’re comfortable in themselves, but not rigid or unwilling to change. I think it takes more strength to change than to stay the same. I don’t know if there are any signs of a strong person. Probably just talking to them would give you a clue, but maybe not. I don’t know how to answer the question about the core of any force. I would assume the core of force would be the intent behind it, but I wouldn’t quote myself on that. People listen to one person over another for all different kinds of reasons. I don’t think it’s got as much to do with the person being listened to as it does with the person doing the listening. What their motivations are for listening to one person over another.

Block V

What is boorishness? Does your understanding of it correlate with the generally accepted notion? How would you explain what boorishness mean to a 10 year old child? How would you explain the same to an adult who does not behave ethically?

I think boorishness is when someone is excessive in their behavior to the point of actual discomfort for the people around them. I think my definition aligns pretty well. I would use my definition of boorishness when explaining it to both a child and an adult.

How would you improve the moral of the society?

I think I would improve the morals of society by making people more aware of how their beliefs and choices affect other people.

Can you justify somebody's bad behavior by thinking that he/she wasn't taught how to do so?

No. I was raised in a family where racism and homophobia are pretty typical. I sought out different information. Almost everyone has that ability. I wouldn’t be beyond saying that circumstances can make someone act in a way that’s not ideal, so in that way I could understand it. But not just an absence of correct teaching.

Give us your understanding of love. Can you love and punish at the same time?

This isn’t an easy question for me. I guess love is wanting the best for someone else according to them and not to you. I don’t know if you can punish and love at the same time. I think you can punish and care at the same time, as far as making sure that your kids know the difference between right and wrong, and that may not be a real difference.

Have you heard about the Southern hospitality? Everything is for the guest. There is also a German hospitality – the master of the house is always right. What method is the right one? Try to evaluate without the weight of any cultural aspects, traditions, nations etc.

I think Southern hospitality is more correct. If you really don’t want someone in your house you can just throw them out, so if you’re going to accept their presence you may as well do so graciously. What’s the point of inviting someone into your home only to act like you don’t want them there or they need to capitulate to your wants? They aren’t hired help.

What is sympathy? When do you need to express it? When is it advised not to?

I think sympathy is caring enough about the troubles of someone else to reach out to them. I don’t know if there is any situation where you “need” to express it. Sympathy is something that people give to each other. I think I would specifically avoid being sympathetic towards people if I didn’t want their emotions or thoughts to influence me.

Are there any norms of behavior in the society? Do you follow them? Do people always have to follow them? Why?

Yeah, there are norms in the case of gender, age, sexuality, etc. I don’t think it’s possible to follow all of the norms that society puts on you. That’s where most of the tension between people comes from, don’t you think? The difference between what’s expected of you and what’s possible for you to do. I don’t think it’s even possible for people to always follow them. There are too many contradictions. If you’re following one guideline of behavior you’re ignoring another one.

How do you know what attitude among people is right or wrong?

I think I know someone’s attitude is wrong when it’s detrimental to the wellbeing of others in a fundamental way. Here I mean not merely irritating but actually makes someone else’s life unsafe. I think it’s more difficult to decide when a person’s attitude is right.

What does moral mean? What is immoral? Does your understanding correlate with the others? How can you evaluate the correctness of your own understanding?

Morality is what dictates our behavior towards other people. Immorality is when we act destructively without regard for the wellbeing of others. I think my understanding correlates pretty well with others. I think the only way to really evaluate the correctness of my understanding is by learning and listening to other people, as well as listening to my own internal guidance system.

Somebody is giving you a negative attitude – what is your reaction? Could you show your own negative attitude toward someone else? If so, how? Could you give a person the silent treatment? How easily do you forgive people?

Often enough I don’t really care. I just assume they’ve got something else going on in their life. I definitely can act negatively towards other people. A lot of time it’s unintentional, but like I would assume for them, sometimes I’m unhappy with something in my life and it shows. I could never give someone the silent treatment. I’ve tried, but it usually falls apart in about 5 minutes. I don’t forgive people easily. I think people need to earn forgiveness, not have it given to them.

Block VI

"Whole world does not cost one tear of child" – how do you understand this phrase? Do you agree with this opinion?

I don’t know what this means. Is it implying that the worth of the world isn’t enough to make up for one child crying or something like that? I don’t really know if I would agree with that or not. I certainly wouldn’t want any child to be hurt, but you’d have to figure that in the world there’s another child who’s worth just as much.

Is it acceptable to express emotions? Give examples of inappropriate expression of emotions.

Of course it’s acceptable to express emotions. I don’t often do it myself, but that’s just because I don’t feel comfortable having that kind of attention on me. An inappropriate display of emotion would be violent outbursts of anger and hatred, or emotions that are expressed only to get a reaction from someone else but aren’t really felt by the person displaying them.

Can you use negative emotions? In what situations?

Do you mean experience or actually use? Of course I can experience negative emotions whenever someone hurts me or someone I care about. I suppose I could also use negative emotions as a catalyst towards some kind of action, though it’s hard for me to do that. I rarely have enough negative emotions in me to really push myself forward like that.

How do you express negative emotions? What does it look like? What do others think about it?

If I’m really offended I may yell or become sarcastic and snarky. I suppose it looks like I’m either losing it (when I yell-almost never happens) or like I’m in a bratty mood? People often think that I’m being obstinate when I’m angry.

Shallow emotions – what does it mean? Are there any other emotions?

Shallow emotions are emotions that aren’t felt very strongly. There are many different kinds of emotions-they can’t all be lightly felt.

What are right or wrong emotions?

I don’t think there are any right or wrong emotions.

Can you change the emotional state of yourself? Of others? To what side – positive or negative?

I don’t think I’m very good at changing my emotions. It feels too much like a lie to do so. I don’t like to change the emotions of other people for the same reason, although I’m sure I do it unconsciously to a certain extent.

What does it mean to "pour out your emotions"? How does it happen?

When you pour out your emotions you don’t hold anything that you’re feeling back until you don’t have anything left to feel. I don’t really do this, but on the few occasions that I have (maybe 3 times in my life) it’s because I’m so far past capacity that I can’t hold any more emotions.

Does your internal emotional state correlate with what you show externally?

Not all the time. I’m not really sure how I look on the outside, but I often try not to show myself as too emotional. I like to stay somewhat detached.

Do you track what mood you are in throughout the day? Do you notice the mood of others?

I don’t think so. I have moments occasionally where I realize that I’m feeling something kind of out of the blue. Like I’ll be sitting around and realize that I’m angry without really knowing why. I do notice the mood of others. I can’t always figure out why they feel the way they do, but I notice.

Block VII

Do you like surprises?

No. I literally hate surprises. They make me feel out of control and especially if someone else plans something for me, I feel obligated to feel a certain way about it.

How people change? How do you feel about those changes? Can others see the changes?

I don’t think that people really change. Even the most changeable people have a pattern to their changing.

Is it true that whatever happens is only for the best?

God no. It takes effort and perhaps a little lying to myself to make an average or bad situation into a “for the best” situation. I’m in between thinking that things are fated and agreeing with Lois from Malcolm in the Middle when she says that “Fate is what you call it when you don’t know the name of the person who’s screwing you over.”

What do you think of horoscopes, fortune telling etc.? Do you believe in luck, lucky fortuity?

Um. Eh. I don’t doubt the fact that divination can be powerful and that it can be used. But it’s such a large jump from where I am to there that I’m not sure if I can extend myself that far. I do really enjoy learning about astrology, especially astrology in historical times (pre-1700s). I just prefer to watch rather than decide. I don’t know if I believe in luck. I think I do, but it’s so nebulous that I’d prefer to not think about it.

Can you forecast events? Is it even real?

The same as above. I do think it’s real, but I’m not willing to give it more power than I give myself.

What is time? How do you feel time? Can you "kill" time? How?

I don’t know what time is. I think it’s too profound for words, really, in that it encompasses everything and is what makes it possible for things to die and be created. Without time there would be nothing. I feel time as very variable. Sometimes it feels like time goes by quickly and sometimes it goes by so slow it feels like it’s stopped. I don’t always notice clock time, though. Occasionally I get into a time funk where I don’t know what day, date, hour, etc, it is. Other times I’m hyper aware of those things. It’s not very consistent. I think you can misuse time and waste it, by not having a goal and just living day by day. That’s something that I’m troubled with now. Except for moving out on my own, I have no goal for the future. It makes me feel like I’m wasting my days to no point.

Is it easy for you to wait for some important event? What if you don’t know when it is supposed to happen?

Not easy at all. I get so anxious and I end up having dreams about the event coming up (I’m going through this now-every single night it’s something else). If I don’t know when it’s supposed to happen I feel even worse and more anxious.

Do you need help creating forecasts and determining how something will end? Do you trust those forecasts?

Sometimes I feel like I know what’s going to happen in the future, but often enough I prefer to have what’s going to happen proven to me through time or through people behaving as I expect them to. For example, say I am planning on going somewhere with someone, maybe 30 minutes away from home, and I feel like we’re not going to end up going. I won’t say anything, but just wait and see if I’m right. I often am. I don’t like other people to forecast things for me, because I’d have no reason to trust them.

Are you normally late? How do you react if someone is late?

I’m almost never late unless it’s because of someone else. If another person is late I can’t say that I care very much unless they’re consistently late. Then I start to feel taken advantage of.

Imagine the situation where you agreed to meet with someone. Your feelings and actions: a) 20 minutes before the meeting starts, b) 5 minutes before the meeting starts, c) it is time for the meeting to start, but the person is not here, d) 20 minutes after the meeting start time and the person is not here, e) more time and the person is still not here…

-20 minutes before the meeting: I feel anxious, wondering if everything’s going to turn out ok. I’m probably sitting around and fidgeting.
-5 minutes before the meeting: Feeling even more anxious, trying to not fidget so I look calmer when the person shows up, and probably making sure that I look nice.
-the person isn’t there: I’m torn between feeling anxious that they’re going to show up any minute and happy that they may not show up. I’m checking my phone a lot and looking around.
-20 minutes after the meeting time: I’ve already left and am making new plans. I feel kind of happy and kind of irritated, but mostly I’m just putting it behind me.
-more time…: More of the same.

Block VIII

Is there a meaning of life? In what? Is it the same for everybody?

I think the meaning of life is to not waste it, to have a dream and see it reached. I don’t think the meaning of life is the same for everybody.

What should be done so people can be happy?

What should be done to make people happy is what they want, I suppose. The same thing won’t make every person happy.

In the situations with a lot of potential and volatility will you trust your own guts, logically calculating everything or will you ask people you trust what should be done?

I would trust myself. I would do so because if I’m going to fail or make the wrong choice, I don’t want to do so because of someone else’s decision. I’ve had that happen to me before and it’s a bitter thing to experience, to know that if you’d made your own decision things would have turned out fine.

When you meet a stranger, what can you say about them right away? How do you know what this person is all about? Does it take long to understand someone's talents?

I think the only thing I can say right away is that I’m not seeing who they really are. When I meet new people I always wait to see how they show themselves, rather than trying to jump to conclusions about who they are. It’s really up to them. I don’t feel like I need to guess about their talents or their quality as a person. I just need to watch and wait and they’ll show me in their own time.

Remember an interesting person and call out 5-6 qualities you think are interesting in them. What makes an interesting person? Are you an interesting person? Why? What if someone calls you "boring" and "not interesting"?

Ok. I’ll use my great-grandmother as an example. She went to a prestigious college to study chemistry in about the 1910s, raised 7 children, helped her husband start a business, travelled to Mexico to learn to paint in her middle age, survived a major brain surgery and managed to live into her 80s. I think she’s interesting because she accomplished so much and had so many interests. She had a really colorful, well lived life. An interesting person is a person who really enjoys life and takes advantage of it. I don’t think I am an interesting person. I get too afraid to really try anything, or I get caught up in relationships with people and let them control what I do. If someone has the opinion that I’m boring and not interesting, that’s ok. It’s not my job to control what other people think.

What opinions, from people who know you, seem: a) fair; b) not fair; c) hurtful; d) strange.

A: That I can be too passive is a fair statement.
B: That I don’t care about my life isn’t.
C: That I’m lazy is a hurtful statement.
D: That I’m prideful is a strange statement, but I’ve heard it more than once, so maybe it’s also fair.
That’s all I got.

Do you fantasize? What kind of fantasies do you have?

Yes. I think about book characters and the situations they get themselves into and how I would get them out of those situations. I write speeches in my head and imagine myself giving them-like I’m in a presidential debate *embarrassing*. I usually fantasize about solving problems that aren’t mine, through both of those views.

What qualities should a person have to be successful and why?

I think in order to be successful a person needs to be comfortable with themselves, capable of changing, capable of knowing when to change and when to not and intelligent. I think a person needs to be those things because so much of being successful is dealing with the world in all its variety and not losing your footing.

What qualities can stop a person from being successful and why?

The opposite of what I wrote above. Not having a good sense of timing or self, not being willing to change, not being intelligent. I think it would inhibit their ability to cope in the world, which would make it harder to be successful.

What is more important in life – to be a good person or be a successful one? Why?

To be a good person. I wouldn’t want to be a successful person that hurts a lot of people by not also being good. I don’t think there’s a point to people like that.

Is a good person always successful? If not, then why?

No. Success is something you have to reach for. A person can be good and not ambitious.

Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Definitely see strong, kick-ass Si. Probably the strongest Si I've seen from this questionnaire. SEI is very likely. I wouldn't rule out SLI either.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SEI is very likely. I wouldn't rule out SLI either.
Thank you for responding! I'm sorry it took me two days to answer-I've been travelling and not paying the best attention. In MBTI I've been going between ISTJ and ISFJ for a while, so it's nice to know that I'm consistent.

Definitely see strong, kick-ass Si. Probably the strongest Si I've seen from this questionnaire.
Is it weird that I'm really flattered by this? I love Si. It's my favorite function of mine, and the only one that I was sure about on my own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts