Personality Cafe banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year everyone!

<Warning: champagne-fueled schmaltz below>

The time around New Year is always one for reflection on what has passed and our desires for what we hope is to come.

Looking back, for me the lesson which resonates most is this: in focusing on all the individual twists and turns of the track it's easy to forget to look at the ride in its entirety - for what it actually is. On the subject of life Bill Hicks once said "It's just a ride". I think it's a lighthearted and refreshing way of looking at things and a kind of antidote to all the very solemn platitudes we often encounter.

Maybe if we remember this simple truth the ride might not seem so difficult to change and improve. Through this lens we might even come to enjoy it more, 'cause after all it's just a ride.

But it's also a ride which only comes by once. We're always told that we should "make the most of it", though to be truthful I haven't quite figured out what that phrase means.

So I suppose it comes down to each of us to decide how and for what reason we should "make the most of it", whether it be for God, family or ourselves.

In a sense, arguing over the purpose of the ride is not so much as important as recognising that we're on the ride in the first place. For many people, myself included, it has been difficult to face up to this reality when we are seemingly always required to pay attention to the track which lays immediately ahead.

That's why I'd like to highlight the importance of taking time out to recognise these things.

</schmaltz>

Happy 2013! Hope it's a good one!

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Yes, indeed-ly!

(courtesy of YouTuber melodysheep)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts