Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about this article

Researchers created the first ever map of its kind is based on the results of a six year online survey of 620,000 people. They claim it reveals how certain types of people are more likely to live and flourish in different parts of the country and showed links between personality traits and social phenomenon, like crime rates

Do you agree on the findings?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
That's really interesting. I definitely buy a correlation, but it would be fascinating to see it broken down more by location even within states. I'm from Chicago, Illinois and comparing this area of the state to central/southern Illinois is like comparing apples and oranges. They aren't really the same at all. I'd assume a similar difference exists in a lot of states between big cities/surrounding areas and the rest of the state.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,667 Posts
One thing I learnt when I went to New York, NEVER make direct eye contact with anyone sitting on the train.

·
Premium Member
10,504 Posts
I live in New York State, right on the Canadian border, near Niagara Falls. People here are very friendly and not especially neurotic. I would say that the article over generalizes the attitude of people in New York State. There is a huge difference between New York City and the rest of the state. Here, we are 400 miles from New York City and have very little in common with that city.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I live in California, but a smaller part of it. It's getting bigger but I'd say if you go to Los Angeles or anywhere around that area you will find very open minded people, and also lots of crime, but where I live there are still many who think gay people are weird. (less openminded) In smaller areas people are sometimes less openminded because of lack of diverse opinion

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

Researchers created the first ever map of its kind is based on the results of a six year online survey of 620,000 people. They claim it reveals how certain types of people are more likely to live and flourish in different parts of the country and showed links between personality traits and social phenomenon, like crime rates

The conclusions Cambridge people drew live down to the
popular stereotype of people who live in the Five Boroughs.
("Say your prayers, toitles." How perfectly Brooklyn.)
As for nice North Dakotans, the conclusions those researchers
drew are recognizable to anyone who watched the movie Fargo.

Now, what would happen if those same scholars came to Canada
and tried to compare, say, Saskatchewanians with Torontonians, or
Prince Edward Islanders with Vancouverites, and so on and so forth?

Or is Canada still the second most boring country on the planet after
Singapore, and thus not a place whose people are not worth studying?

·
Registered
65 Posts

The description seems overbroad. There are certainly many people like that in NYC, but many, many others who are not. Because of its vast melting pot status, it's almost impossible to make any generalizations about the people there that hold up under scrutiny. However, I have learned that in NYC, stupidity is never tolerated, so I try to avoid doing stupid things whenever I'm there.

·
Premium Member
10,504 Posts
Also, the article offered generalizations about New York City and then sought to apply those generalizations to the whole state. Buffalo is much more like Cleveland than it is like New York City. It's also a lot closer to Cleveland. These generalizations cannot be made with any accuracy about New York State.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Also, the article offered generalizations about New York City and then sought to apply those generalizations to the whole state. Buffalo is much more like Cleveland than it is like New York City. It's also a lot closer to Cleveland. These generalizations cannot be made with any accuracy about New York State.
Yes, that is absolutely true...the article was completely wrong there as well. Upstate NY is completely different.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Keep your shirt on. The Cambridge study did mean only NYC, and it pretty much confirmed the stereotypes you associate with the Five Boroughs (the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island) of the Big Apple. Upstate New Yorkers are indeed a different bunch altogether.

·
Premium Member
10,504 Posts
Oh, phooey. I was all set to join the nudist colony. I do believe that the article referred to New York State, rather than New York City. I will check now.
OK. I checked. Nowhere in the article was "New York City" mentioned. It used the word "state" several times.
And, yes, you're right about upstate New Yorkers. It's almost as if we had two states but stuck with one dysfunctional state government.

Keep your shirt on. The Cambridge study did mean only NYC, and it pretty much confirmed the stereotypes you associate with the Five Boroughs (the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island) of the Big Apple. Upstate New Yorkers are indeed a different bunch altogether.

·
Registered
68 Posts

not just NY, any urban crowded city will have more neurotic and unfriendly people
Competiting over limited resources will cause anxiety and stress and people will no doubt be oversensitive, or obsessive about everyday things because of fear of losing what they procured.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts