Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys.. i happened to take the myers-briggs test again and found myself as an ESFP. I've taken this in high school, and earlier last year but the results, whatever they were, didn't mean as much as it does now..

To give a little backround, i'd like to note some things about myself..

Without being influenced by the results of ESFP:
-I do overindulge in what i love - at whatever the cost, as long as i don't harm anyone (hit the bars, cigarettes, that good, being with friends, cars, clothes etc)
-In 2007 (soph in college) fell madly, deeply, obsessively in love with a girl from our state university
-I attended the county college, met on a thirsty thursday at the university
-i noted the former bc most of my friends, which i consider family from hs got into the school also, and i lived vicariously through them
-when we started dating i basically lived at her dorm with her
-broke up in 09, fell into a deep depression for a little under a year
-i've always been active and had a good physique naturally, but in 2010 became massive from the gym.. it was essentially what pulled me out of my depression
-spent that period until now enjoying the bar scene with my secondary group of friends + my best bud from who hs who also didn't get into the uni
-they also had a house on campus which many of us happened to stay at all the time (again living vicariously through them)
-i've attended county college on and off all these years.. with an obsession of finally getting into the university, being apart of the subculture officially, and getting my damn degree already...

at the present.. the remaining of them just graduated, a few had already and have great jobs at barclays in the city, but also lived at the house with the rest of us. ..

Ever since then, maybe a little before, my summer has been shit. I quit my job, stopped seeing ALL of my friends unless they come to my house (like they used to back when i was depressed lol), and just isolated myself.

Another thing to mention is.. after i broke up with my girlfriend, my ability to comprehend things in my classes soared... I tapped into something and i became very attentive. As of now, i lost it. I picked up a job easily for the cheesecake factory and quit after the intense menu training because i couldn't bring myself to take in, and understand what was being taught. I was a walking zombie. Even as i type, i know this is poorly written and organized and i'm even tempted to attach some things i wrote over the year that would prove otherwise. I guess it just helps to rant my story ..thanks for reading. Just wondering how someone with my personality ends up here again.. lost all will, confidence, and motivation?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Are you asking for suggestions on how to pull yourself out of depression? That's what I'm getting from this, and correct me if I'm wrong. If so, here's what I have to offer:

- What are you looking for in life - what is a good self-motivator that gives you purpose? You mention when you went to the gym you got pulled out of depression, essentially. Daily exercise will relieve the negative emotions, but there needs to be some future focus - instead of alleviating the depression in the present, what can you do to prevent it from happening in the future? What projects focused on YOU would you greatly enjoy working to achieve? Give yourself small goals to obtain at a time - see what the "ultimate" goal is, then make smaller goals that you can achieve, working towards it.

- Is isolating yourself really the best thing? From what I know of my ESFP friend, when left alone to her negative emotions, sort of wallows in them. When people come in with optimism she lightens up and is in a way distracted from them. I believe it would be good to still see your friends. You may get the feeling that they should work to see you when you are depressed - work with them instead. Give a little, get a little. :happy: When this "distracting" moment comes up, utilize that uplift of optimism!

- In fact - stay optimistic! I really admire ESFPs for their undying optimism, it is really a nice change for me compared to my undying pessimism haha. A good, healthy attitude regardless of circumstances is always good! Find some people who will feed you back optimism from appreciating yours.

- Most importantly - what are the roots of your depression? Is it one specific thing, or a culmination of things? Distinguish which things are causing the most depression. Is it heartbreak, the loss of job, lack of motivation? From my experience it is usually one or two things that really set off a bad chain of events, causing more bad things to happen, muddling the source of depression. My hunch is that it might have been the heartbreak that set it off...but you have to ask yourself: what is the root of my depression?

Hope what I gave helped. Perhaps if I knew more based off the questions I asked I could give more of my advice...but it is simply my own from experience :proud: Best of luck to you my friend, I will do what I can to help. :happy:

·
Registered
551 Posts
I can tell you one thing, you need a distraction! Anything really, amusement park. Mini-Golf, Go-Karts. Anything fun and with friends! That always get's me out of a depressed rut.
This all goes with what LostInOblivion said.
Good luck! :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
i feel you … i'm going thru the same things … i hope you feel better soon.

i know my quick fix is music, new stuff, cold drinks, sparkly things -- you may not be into the latter, lol -- but i'm working on long-term goals too because i realize that when that moment is over, the darkness comes back. it returns because there's still something inside that is begging to be healed and i'm often scared to "go there"…but the only way out is through.

make sure you find a good therapist - someone with enough experience and that you feel comfortable with enough to talk to about stuff. if you feel judged or ill-at-ease, don't go back.

i'm 21 and i've been in therapy for 6 years, off and on, because i have A LOT of problems on top of problems on top of problems. but i feel like just this year i've decided not to focus on the problems and more on what i DO want out of my life. not my despicable past, but on the illustrious, loving future i want to have.

so shifting your focus definitely helps. allow all your crazy feelings to "feel," and then get back to what you really wanna focus on.

·
Registered
914 Posts
TSGO:
I hope you don't mind my shortening your name just a wee bit. One time I was taking a test which was a government test. I studied voraciously, and aspired to learn the material inside and out. I learned a lesson there about studying for something. I never managed to put that kind of focus into the classroom, but I have been able to cruise through several books on a single topic and come away feeling like I knew something more than the average Joe on the street. Figure out what you want to do, and hit it with gusto. If you are an ESFP, you may want to check to see what fields other ESFPs have done well in. Oscar Wilde is the only author I know of who did any good work, oh, yeah, there is the gospel writer Mark, but it seems to be bare bones. The writer of the Twilight series is an ESFP, too, but I've heard really poor reviews on reading her stuff. But, whatever you do, hit it with gusto. Make sure it is not a field totally dominated by some other crowd, i.e., don't go into engineering if you don't have an F, a T, or a J. The J can be substituted, but ESFP is not such a good set up for a highly rational field such as engineering. Now, if you happen to be really good at math, then you may have a shot at it.
The other advice I will give you is HALT. Hungry, angry, lonely or tired. If you have more than one of those going on at once, you should attend to at least one of them.
Good luck,
Digger Blue

1 - 6 of 6 Posts