Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you ever have an upgrade idea, for a process or such, that you felt would be a massively beneficial improvement to the current usage; only to hear someone pull that (tyranny of the masses) "wet blanket" stifler.
"If it works, don't fix it."
A bit more than a year ago I came up with, what I thought might be a good counter move, "I'm not trying to fix it, I'm trying to the next level."
I've looked forward to a chance to use but, maybe I've shared around so much that someone, or group, spread the word to refrain from providing me a chance to use it.
Like who? Maybe the Nurse Ratched SWAT team in their regular newsletter.

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w6 Sp/Sx 593
1,555 Posts
I used to work in the oilfield as a shop hand, and I would be in charge of the orders going out to location.
I tried to incorporate deadlines for when people can order things, just so I have enough time to get the products, and organize them effectively without the time crunch.
Of course, I would try to make exceptions for "important" items that crews absolutely needed. But besides that, tough shit if people ordered things late.

Of course, all the crews thought all the things they ordered were important. So they sort of just disregarded by system altogether, even though it was more efficient for everyone involved.
Less time crunch to get the supplies, the less chance for mistakes to happen, and it takes the stress and workload off the suppliers, me, and the crew coordinators.
But I guess people didn't take a 20 year old shop hand very seriously. When I proposed my strategy, the usual reply I'd get would be "the 'Patch has always been this way. You can't change it".
I don't care if the "patch" has always operated like this. I can't see why streamlining a process to make the whole thing better for everyone is such an incomprehensible thing. But whatever.

One of many reasons I'm not a fan of working in the oilfield. People are just there to make a lot of money.
As long as it's working, people don't really want to change it in any way. I get it, and can respect that. But it's not really the place for me.

To be honest, if you used the "I'm not trying to fix it, I'm trying to take it to the next level" line, people will usually just disregard you.
I prefer to just let the results speak for themselves. That's why I prefer working in places that give me enough space to not be dictated.

Reactions: islandlight

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Avoid next level comments without tangible proof of such. When selling your idea to management, quantify the improvements in terms of cost savings or increased profits.

Eg.
Crew spends 40 hours per week doing 'x'.
If we do 'y', we can reduce the amount of time they put towards 'x' by 10%.
10% of 40 hours at the average rate of 'z' = cost savings to the company

or if you need to sell something to the crew, hey guys you can spend four more hours at the bar per week, if you do it my way.

·
Registered
INTJ
929 Posts
Did you ever have an upgrade idea, for a process or such, that you felt would be a massively beneficial improvement to the current usage; only to hear someone pull that (tyranny of the masses) "wet blanket" stifler.
I shoot down arguments like that right away. I am not sure how is that supposed to convince me.
I know what to say if it is an engineer or a business representative or whatever.
Not that I face much of opposition.

I don't suggest something just because it can be upgraded. Not every little thing is worth it when all things are considered.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to work in the oilfield as a shop hand, and I would be in charge of the orders going out to location.
I tried to incorporate deadlines for when people can order things, just so I have enough time to get the products, and organize them effectively without the time crunch.
Of course, I would try to make exceptions for "important" items that crews absolutely needed. But besides that, tough shit if people ordered things late.

Of course, all the crews thought all the things they ordered were important. So they sort of just disregarded by system altogether, even though it was more efficient for everyone involved.
Less time crunch to get the supplies, the less chance for mistakes to happen, and it takes the stress and workload off the suppliers, me, and the crew coordinators.
But I guess people didn't take a 20 year old shop hand very seriously. When I proposed my strategy, the usual reply I'd get would be "the 'Patch has always been this way. You can't change it".
I don't care if the "patch" has always operated like this. I can't see why streamlining a process to make the whole thing better for everyone is such an incomprehensible thing. But whatever.

One of many reasons I'm not a fan of working in the oilfield. People are just there to make a lot of money.
As long as it's working, people don't really want to change it in any way. I get it, and can respect that. But it's not really the place for me.

To be honest, if you used the "I'm not trying to fix it, I'm trying to take it to the next level" line, people will usually just disregard you.
I prefer to just let the results speak for themselves. That's why I prefer working in places that give me enough space to not be dictated.
Reminds me of when I first got my driving licence and came up with a better, quicker and safer way to go 'round a sharp curve. When I tried to share it most experienced drivers would cut off my explanation, without letting me explain, by saying that I was too new new and was fooling myself because a new technique couldn't have come from such a new driver - as I was.
Over ten years later I would start to explain and other drivers would listen and then, usually say how numerous years of practice would lead to such good skill development.
I never brought up how new I was when I first used the method ... just sadly shook my head (to avoid listening to resentments) and moved on.
You're well on the way to INTP effective thinking.

·
Registered
peronsality
569 Posts
I don't get it, everything is now created to make things faster, cleaner, smoother, etc., isn't that like the purpose of technology itself? How marketing works? Business?

But anyway, for inspiration, check this sir:

He looks happy, doesn't he? Well, of course! He perfected his recipe for chicken as a street vendor and has now the world's (cheapest - now you know if you ever go to Singapore) Michelin Star and a chain restaurant.
- Don't worry about the "cheapest", he decided it that way as a form of fidelity with his old customers (admirable), but he doesn't lack any money.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Sticking to principles at the expense of others feelings and general harmony is one of those INTP blind spots your mother should have warned you about.

This is why good enough is for the most part good enough when other types are involved.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Also, case in point: Someone decided to take PerC to the next level and compared to where it was prior the activity level nowadays is circling the drain.

Or maybe I'm off base. The activity trend might be to due to covid. Or climate change.

·
Registered
peronsality
569 Posts
Reactions: DarkBarlow

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I like having a balance of making small incremental changes to existing system (evolution) and high risk high reward experiments (revolution). Most people wouldn't oppose the evolutionary approach to improvement.

The world can be reduced to a search problem. It's very likely that you're stuck in a small hill in an N-dimensional graph and the best you can reach is the local maxima. So, the evolutionary approach has its limit. It's risky to try a different hill, the revolutionary approach, since you might waste resources exploring a path with a smaller local maxima. But, there's a small chance that the experimental path has a higher local maxima, or if you're extremely lucky, a global maximum.

I think no matter how good you have it, eventually you want to explore and risk it for a higher local maxima even with the potential of losing what you have. Life is boring otherwise.

·
Code Cracked
13,153 Posts
Also, case in point: Someone decided to take PerC to the next level and compared to where it was prior the activity level nowadays is circling the drain.

Or maybe I'm off base. The activity trend might be to due to covid. Or climate change.
I am not a fan of the "upgrade" of PerC. It is like someone took an organized closet and instead of updating the clothes and keeping the organization... they emptied the whole closet and just threw everything on the racks. Instead of walking in and finding a certain item- I spend more time digging for it which, is not efficient imo That may be the point for all we know. Spend more time on here having to sift for what you could easily find prior. :unsure:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts