Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't believe much in astrology and it kind of annoys me when people say myersbriggs type stuff is like astrology, because I find personality typing sooo much more legit. What do you think? I'm an Aquarius, if astrology were true wouldn't all infps be Aquarius' and vice versa?!

Astrology can be fun to read about though so does anyone want to tell me all about my Aquarius self? hehe

·
Registered
830 Posts
So I don't believe much in astrology and it kind of annoys me when people say myersbriggs type stuff is like astrology, because I find personality typing sooo much more legit. What do you think? I'm an Aquarius, if astrology were true wouldn't all infps be Aquarius' and vice versa?!

Astrology can be fun to read about though so does anyone want to tell me all about my Aquarius self? hehe
I'm Scorpio and an INFP though an extremely low F or depending on the test a low T, but I identify with INFP. Scorpios as far as I understand them do not mesh well with INFPs love and be loved nature. I think astrology is fun to read too.. but not a whole lot more than that. Although.. now that I think about it.. maybe astrology was the first attempt at myers-brigg? And what I mean by that is... noticing that some people seem to have similar personality traits and react in somewhat similar ways.. perhaps astrology was an attempt to categorize personality traits?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Nat2424, I used to be into zodiacs but not so much anymore. I find the signs facinating, but do not read horoscopes. So much related to astrology is so generic, I can't take it seriously.

Someone said once, "Why go to the stars for answers when you can go to the Creator of the stars?" and as a Christian, I love that.

I prefer to look at the functions as opposed to astrology, but it's all personal choice. I agree that MBTI is much more sound.

·
Registered
355 Posts
you can't compare the two, imo. your mbti type can change with age and how honest you want to be with yourself. your astrological chart just is.

i don't know exactly where i stand with astrology .. i really enjoy theory of personality so naturally i'm keen on it, but it isn't entirely logical to me so i don't consider it as solid fact. it's just .. theory.. lol :tongue:
anyway;
something else interesting.. my late grandmother was VERY into astrology, she was an astropsychologist, even.. and a few days after i was born, she did my chart and wrote some notes about me on the back to give to my mother .. 17 years later we dug them up and read them, and they describe me eerily well.
my mom (being an only child) got all of her astrology books n stuff. i really enjoy reading them. i also have a few of my own.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I don't believe in astrology and I wish we could delete our astrological sign from the profile.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Nope, I don't believe in astrology. The accusation that it is just like MBTI is laughable. They are opposites in how they work.
MBTI takes what you know about yourself and gives you a label.
Astrology gives you a label before knowing anything and then expects you to line up with it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
you can't compare the two, imo. your mbti type can change with age and how honest you want to be with yourself. your astrological chart just is.

i don't know exactly where i stand with astrology .. i really enjoy theory of personality so naturally i'm keen on it, but it isn't entirely logical to me so i don't consider it as solid fact. it's just .. theory.. lol :tongue:
anyway;
something else interesting.. my late grandmother was VERY into astrology, she was an astropsychologist, even.. and a few days after i was born, she did my chart and wrote some notes about me on the back to give to my mother .. 17 years later we dug them up and read them, and they describe me eerily well.
my mom (being an only child) got all of her astrology books n stuff. i really enjoy reading them. i also have a few of my own.
Not really. While your chart is static, planets transit the chart.

There are renowned astrologers who've promoted the idea of free will and astrology as being compatible.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nope, I don't believe in astrology. The accusation that it is just like MBTI is laughable. They are opposites in how they work.
MBTI takes what you know about yourself and gives you a label.
Astrology gives you a label before knowing anything and then expects you to line up with it.
Astrology gives you labels after knowing your time and place of birth and interprets you through it.

Its nowhere near as rigid as you made it out to be.

·
Registered
209 Posts

MBTI is far more legit than astrology.

The problem is, most people have no idea where to begin in comparing the two, especially since the majority of people boil it down to sun sign.

Astrology is not your sun sign. Point blank period.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't believe in astrology in theory. I see no reason why it would work at all.

In reality though I've noticed a lot of interesting patterns. I tend to repeat the same types of relationships with the same signs over and over (and often I don't know their signs until later on, so it's not a self-fulfilling prophecy things). The female frenemies I ultimately clash with are usually Leos. The guys I could stay in bed with for days are Pisces. The guys I date a few times and then they get psycho and make it out to be way more than it actually was are usually Geminis. The guys I have a great intellectual rapport and sexual tension with but ultimately we're both too stubborn to get past the first move are usually Tauruses. This goes along with what astrologers say is "supposed" to happen with these signs (I'm a scorpio). My chart is pretty accurate and when I've done charts for other people they've said the same. So while I can't say I believe in it, I notice that it's accurate often enough for me to have been really interested in researching it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I see it more as a philosophy. To sum it up, mythology was very prominent at the time as was an insightful view of the elements.
In the modern day, it got simplified (cheapened?) and holds on to respect by a thread.
Better to simplify it and develop your own understanding because reading an Astrologer's interpretation will only give you half of the picture.
I've read charts that I've agreed with. Some have been spot on, others close and some completely off the mark altogether. It was hit and miss for years until I thought about it deeply (was probably stoned at the time).

It is very straight forward but like the Myers-Briggs test, it can only generalise.. and it's fun. I sort of see it like Harry Potter or something (although I didn't get into Harry Potter, so probably not a good comparison).

Lord of the Rings!:confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
The idea that these huge massive celestial bodies placement at the time of birth having some kind of relevance on me and you just blows my mind. I don't assume that we know everything, all those people who were proven wrong with time did, and they were not correct! :bored:

·
Registered
255 Posts
I kind of believe in astrology. My best friend has been very into astrology for years. Eventually she rubbed off on me to the extent that 8 out of 10 times I can guess someones sign before they disclose their birthdate to me. The fact that you can tell what someones sign is before they disclose their brithday is a little hard to ignore. But daily horoscopes are crap.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
MBTI and astrology are totally different...you're right, MBTI is more legit. My zodiac is Cancer...it's weird because it really fits me quite nicely...although a few of the characteristics are off. I get most of those characteristics from my mom who's a Gemini though. The other aspects of astrology are basically the same in how they determine things about you...I'm an open minded person, but astrology just doesn't seem right to me...I would never base anything in it

·
Registered
6 Posts
i'm an aquarius... i fit that bill pretty head on. am also INFJ... the two seem to be very similar, imo. don't know many other persons i'm close with that have discussed with me what their personality type is.... so don't have that to go on with others. But most close family members/friends/loved ones in my life DO seem to correlate strongly with their astrological sign. *shrugs*

·
Registered
27 Posts
The MBTI types are derived directly from Carl Jung's study and work into archetypes. Jung's archetypes were directly influenced by astrology, most notably by the elemental system and the parallel connection to the humors. Jung was a firm believer in astrology and used it extensively through-out his career. His break with Freud was largely influenced by what Freud saw as Jung's "obsession" with astrology and mysticism in general.

Jung, an INFJ, was an open practitioner and advocate but it is speculated that due to the stigma astrology and other occult studies have faced during the Age of Science (roughly 1600-to the present) he kept his research private.

It would be interesting to see if Jung did leave any major works on astrology. It certainly wouldn't be a surprise.

Another INFJ, Isaac Newton, left tomes of encrypted texts relating to his research into alchemy. The discovery wasn't made until several generations ago and it turns out that Newton devoted only 30 percent of his studies to the physical sciences (Optics, Gravity, etc). The rest was devoted to the occult and mystic.

NFs, by the way, are clearly ruled by the element of Water. The best way to achieve parity between astrology and MBTI is through a comparison of a full natal chart to one's MBTI type. Sun sign astrology, which is what most Westerners equate with astrology and thereby its validity, is relegated to the funny pages precisely for the reason that is nothing more than a joke at worst and shallow pop culture entertainment at best.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts

I'm opposite...Leo here, and I find astrology more useful. But to be honest I do have to read more about type stuff. It is natural for an Aquarius to be skeptical about astrology...that's cool.

Well aquarius, what can I say...I experience their energy as being "big picture" types, they tend to be driven, they are super intellectual. They can connect with people well. Are often very beautiful, and determined at whatever they set their heart on. They are fantastic entrepreneurs, and can be like a library of information. Sometimes can be superficial...they take lots of care with their appearance...They are sexually experimental, and usually attractive to the opposite sex. They are very independant, but are also fierce in protecting their loved ones and family...well there is so much to say...is any of this good? I have seen that they pair well with Cancerian and Saggittarius men.

Well these are some things I have observed (about aquarian ladies). I have ecountered quite a few of them.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
The MBTI types are derived directly from Carl Jung's study and work into archetypes. Jung's archetypes were directly influenced by astrology, most notably by the elemental system and the parallel connection to the humors. Jung was a firm believer in astrology and used it extensively through-out his career. His break with Freud was largely influenced by what Freud saw as Jung's "obsession" with astrology and mysticism in general.

Jung, an INFJ, was an open practitioner and advocate but it is speculated that due to the stigma astrology and other occult studies have faced during the Age of Science (roughly 1600-to the present) he kept his research private.

It would be interesting to see if Jung did leave any major works on astrology. It certainly wouldn't be a surprise.

Another INFJ, Isaac Newton, left tomes of encrypted texts relating to his research into alchemy. The discovery wasn't made until several generations ago and it turns out that Newton devoted only 30 percent of his studies to the physical sciences (Optics, Gravity, etc). The rest was devoted to the occult and mystic.

NFs, by the way, are clearly ruled by the element of Water. The best way to achieve parity between astrology and MBTI is through a comparison of a full natal chart to one's MBTI type. Sun sign astrology, which is what most Westerners equate with astrology and thereby its validity, is relegated to the funny pages precisely for the reason that is nothing more than a joke at worst and shallow pop culture entertainment at best.
Wow Gnashy

We have to talk...I kind of felt some energy about all of this...Especially since at the time of Jung, there would have been a lot of influence of eastern philosophy...I see it all over German philosophy, for example...but naturally, discussion of eastern scripture never seems to find itself occuring at the same time as discussion of western thought. I did see a lot of water signs (moon) in another thread started about astrology. But I have to read up more on this...

Well regardless of what I learn, I don't follow western astrology, the accuracy is not good, and does not even compare the slightest with vedic astrology, and should not be taken seriously. I have an understanding of the archetype thing (like a deja vu) like i've read it or heard it before...Maybe there is a connection because Jung is a leo also...who knows...But this MBTI thing is amazing too..

Patterns can be made in almost any way, when looking at people, it depends on how the subject is divided up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts