Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking inspiration from this thread...
http://personalitycafe.com/intj-forum-scientists/490002-nt-women-whom-you-mistook-men-4.html
I'm curious as to whether any NF men have been confused for women where they present themselves amphibiously online and the sort.
I wonder if this is perception of the qualities typically found in some types being perceived as masculine/feminine and following that sex coincides in the stereotypical manner (ie Masculine Male, Feminine Female) or the assumption of one's sex where it isn't specified that one is male/female.
Men Are Generic, Women Are Special - TV Tropes
Feminist Philosophy of Language (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Take it with a grain of salt as it's only thread stuff but i'm guessing that it may not be as common an experience for men to be mistaken as the opposite sex when one's sex is ambiguous/hidden.
This thread is relying on the assumption that NF's have qualities that are typically perceived as feminine which presents some cause for skepticism in it's own right, but let's play anyway.

·
Registered
31,259 Posts
Hey lady! Do you know any place to get something to eat around here?
I am frequently mistaken for a man, I self-identify as a child.
There are at times, disparities between how you see yourself, how you want to see yourself , how others see you and how you want others to see you. It is a problem at times but other times it is better to continue living normally.

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
Once, when I was much younger.

Also, not even online, in real life, a woman said to my mother, "your daughter has beautiful hair".
I was like, twelve though, so it makes sense for the most part. Only a bit though.

·
Registered
812 Posts
A few times. I don't really think of typical INFP traits as being especially feminine. INFPs are actually the most evenly split in terms of gender. Fi can certainly be opinionated and outspoken.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I've been mistaken for a man online. I was on a music forum and somehow the topic of women asking if something made them look fat came up, and I said I was never sure what to say if someone asked me that, because if it actually does make them look fat, they think you're lying if you say no and they get mad at you if you say yes. I was referring to some of the girls in my dorm who liked to ask me that question. And some other girl wrote, "You men just don't get it."
I was also mistaken for a man during an anonymous question session at a meeting for Christian students. The topic was sex, and the speaker's message was basically that any sexual activity outside of marriage, including masturbation, was wrong. They had an anonymous question session later, so I wrote in and said something to the effect of "if I won't be getting married anytime soon, and masturbation is wrong, but I have sexual urges, what am I supposed to do?" I don't remember the speaker's response, but I do remember that it began with, "I know it's really hard for guys..." (He kissed his credibility goodbye with that one. And for the record, I did not, and still do not, agree with his stance.)

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
In real life I have never been mistaken as a girl/woman. In one thread on PerC somebody did post a reply about something I had written and referred to me as "she".

I found that rather odd since I do display my gender identification below my avatar.

·
Registered
Beta Gang - EIE 3w4 - 368 sx/so
4,750 Posts
I ve actually been mistaken for a woman a lot (online of course), and I absolutely love to make people believe that I'm one for as long as its possible :p

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Yes, but only in the instance when I was playing a female toon in an MMO, and people who didn't know me addressed as a female, so it really had nothing at all to do with my personality traits.

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
I'll often joke with my ENFP boyfriend about his "feminine soul", (and he jokes with me about my "masculine soul") but that's not necessarily what I mean -- and he knows that.

I honestly hate the dichotomy between being a man and being a feeler -- it's so dumb. The majority of men are Ts, which is why the dichotomy exists, but it's outdated and needs to be discarded, badly. I consider my boyfriend to be more manly because he is so in touch with his feelings and isn't afraid to express them. When a man considers feelings to be more of a feminine thing, I find that incredibly unattractive. Everyone has feelings, somewhere. If you don't acknowledge that in yourself, then you're not doing it right.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yes, but only in the instance when I was playing a female toon in an MMO, and people who didn't know me addressed as a female, so it really had nothing at all to do with my personality traits.
I laughed at that reversed role. I ran around in a female character in the Delta Force online game (back in the day), and everyone thought I was a guy! I was all fine with that assumption. Keeps everything normal and even.

I've been part of a number of online communities, and rarely have I had trouble determining whether someone is a guy or girl, even when they've deliberately portrayed themselves as the opposite of their real life gender. But I'm probably not the norm. I think most people struggle to identify people when all they have is the typed word and none of the visuals they usually rely on. NF's see deeper and look at things most people overlook. So NF guys will always be guys to me ;)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I'll often joke with my ENFP boyfriend about his "feminine soul", (and he jokes with me about my "masculine soul") but that's not necessarily what I mean -- and he knows that.

I honestly hate the dichotomy between being a man and being a feeler -- it's so dumb. The majority of men are Ts, which is why the dichotomy exists, but it's outdated and needs to be discarded, badly. I consider my boyfriend to be more manly because he is so in touch with his feelings and isn't afraid to express them. When a man considers feelings to be more of a feminine thing, I find that incredibly unattractive. Everyone has feelings, somewhere. If you don't acknowledge that in yourself, then you're not doing it right.
Thsi is so true. It comes out one way or another. Why don't men admit they have feelings?

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
Well I have really long hair and I'm a pretty skinny guy, so.... yeah it's happened :unsure:

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
If you know how to present yourself, anyone can pass themselves off as anything.

FJ males who want to be perceived as feminine probably would be more likely to be seen as feminine than T men, and even Fi-based men, because of Fe's "acting" skills (for lack of a better word).

But I just don't see Fe as an inherently feminine function. I actually see NFP men as more naturally feminine.

FJ's (as people) tend to care too much about social status to present themselves in a way that disadvantages them. And (as FJ's) they are more than capable of acting in ways that give off an aura of dominance - you need to be a certain type of man to get away with putting yourself out there in a feminine way. It's stupid, obviously, but people will be people, and anyone who cares even a little about how they're perceived will keep that in mind.

FP's are different. Some of them are naturally feminine and to be blunt they are usually less capbable of hiding it. But do FJ men let themselves act more feminine online, when no one else is around, and their gender isn't listed? At least to a small degree? Probably. And I think that is true for everyone who is a little different, when they can get away with letting their guard down.

·
Registered
264 Posts
when i was younger i used to be, it made me really insecure about myself so i started becoming overly aggressive to compensate for my lack of anger / what i thought was "how males should act" but now im happy with myself because i know its just another thing that makes me coolio ;)

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I have a deep baritone voice, talk loudly and authoritatively, offend lots of people and am extremely sexually open, so I seldom get mistaken for a woman. that's not to say I'm not feminine too. I'm super affectionate (I live for cuddles!), great with children and enjoy activities which are traditionally considered a lot more "feminine". chatting endlessly on the phone, drinking tea, pampering myself. hell, I even do facial masks :cool:

lots of insecure guys hate me, because they feel like they need to "earn" their manliness. as such, they feel compelled to try to bully people who are not stereotypically "manly"...but I easily shut them down :laughing:

I think FJ guys get mistaken for women more so online because most women are xSFJs.
^this

·
Banned
17,781 Posts

what I take issue with most being a man who is a Feeler is not so much that I'm not "manly" as much as people believing I'm hyper-sensitive, emotional, can't be logical or lack any vestige of common sense.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts