Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask some questions:

1. Is it right to judge another person? Should you judge another person?

2. Is it wrong to apply your own worldview/morals to a situation online? Why or why not?

3. Should you voice your worldview/morals even if it might hurt someone else? What about an online situation?

As an aside, I'm asking because I'm not sure if it is right to judge other people by your own worldview/morals (or if they should be judged at all); online situations present new and problematic applications of values and morals...

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's okay to judge people's actions, but I don't think you should judge people's inherent traits.

You really can't avoid applying a worldview to anything you experience. And I'm not sure why, if you hold morals, you would choose not to apply them in any context - presumably you have them because you think they help you act as a good person in the world.

As an INFP I guess my tendency is to not voice anything potentially harmful unless absolutely necessary. But, I also strongly believe that people benefit from making their voices heard. I think there's nothing wrong with stating your opinion, just don't use it to attack someone.

·
Registered
634 Posts
As a society, we judge people on a daily bases. We judge the homeless we see, classmates and or workmates, to the waiter bringing our food. If we did not judge people how would you know who you wanted in your life?

2. Is it wrong to apply your own worldview/morals to a situation online? Why or why not?
You will apply your worldview/morals in any situation, whether it is online or in person. These values are what partially makes you who you are.

3. Should you voice your worldview/morals even if it might hurt someone else? What about an online situation?
That can depend on the situation for some people. Others have no issue with telling other people where they stand. If I see something I do not agree with, online or real, I will voice my opinion about the matter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wanted to ask some questions:

As an aside, I'm asking because I'm not sure if it is right to judge other people by your own worldview/morals (or if they should be judged at all); online situations present new and problematic applications of values and morals...

1. no, they will never know another person well enough to judge them.
2. it might be wrong, as in 1., you never know enough, but you can try to figure out a consensus.
3. yes, because even if someone is hurt, you can always work it out. it takes two, to make a good conversation and worldview/morals is a very interesting topic, where you can just as well agree to disagree (especially in an online situation). it just takes an balanced, open mind. IMHO

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
The way the world is people cannot simply coexist happily without judgments being handed out. Everyone is out there trying to obtain their own joy, but what one person does for themself often hurts others in some way. So we must judge what is acceptable and what is unacceptable. Through this judgment of actions we judge people. Whether or not it is "right" is questionable but overall irrelevant in my opinion. It is necessary for the good of all.
What makes online interaction different from real world?
If someone's views are hurting themself or others, or could potentially cause them to hurt themself/others, then you should try to change their views.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.