Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who won't want to read this much, my essential question is this: Are you an NF who initially believed your 'N-ness' and natural benevolence/altruism basically made you superior whether you realized this inclination at first or not but who have spent more time and effort looking at the facts and come to realize this isn't true? Or are you another type who has seen a tendency of NFs to see themselves as superior and been frustrated by it? I'm not sure where to begin. About nine years ago I was tested as an INFJ. I trembled to the depths of my soul. I laughed and cried. All the contradictions were finally given cohesiveness. My confidence was put in place because I realized all the ppl who'd looked at me sideways just had a different way of communicating and thinking. I could be defined. I could be understood. There was the hope of that possibility. It was a life-changing event. Unfortunately, after years of being misunderstood and overly sensitive to it, I overcompensated and overidentified with the definition of me. I saw Ss as inferior intellectually. Over time, I have matured. My nature wouldn't allow me to continue seeing the world that way. I investigated and observed and read til my heart bled and I found the rationale and the evidence to convince myself that we are all equal but different. It's a much happier place. My hypothesis for why this seems to be common is 'abstract' concepts are hailed as 'intellectual' things. And because fewer ppl are naturally given to delving into them with ease, in a school setting, this is emphasized. In the 'real world' abstract concepts, though great, are not always entirely useful. Someone too lost in abstraction cannot function in society. I'm not even going to touch NTs in this post. In my opinion, that would be slightly off topic. I hope I'm being clear. I am tired.

·
Registered
533 Posts
i guess it has to do with uniqueness. when you're unique, you're different. in today's society, "different" is bad, but "unique" is good, so i think because nfs are different - they are considered abnormal, so instead of focusing on being different, they begin to focus on being "unique", and this gives them a sense that they are valued, so they begin valuing themselves. which is good, it's a healthy coping mechanism, but it can turn unhealthy when that value starts to shift to "valuing myself over everyone else/certain group of people". especially since most nfs with this view see themselves as persecuted by sensors, it's easy for them to say, "i'm unique, i can see things you can't see, i'm smarter, so i don't need to feel persecuted. i'm better than you." i don't know if that makes much sense either. and yes, i'm only talking about nfs who feel this way and who are unhealthy about it. most of the nfs i know though aren't like this. i've seen like maybe four or five on this site altogether. the rest of the typist comments just come from ignorance, not superiority.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i guess it has to do with uniqueness. when you're unique, you're different. in today's society, "different" is bad, but "unique" is good, so i think because nfs are different - they are considered abnormal, so instead of focusing on being different, they begin to focus on being "unique", and this gives them a sense that they are valued, so they begin valuing themselves. which is good, it's a healthy coping mechanism, but it can turn unhealthy when that value starts to shift to "valuing myself over everyone else/certain group of people". especially since most nfs with this view see themselves as persecuted by sensors, it's easy for them to say, "i'm unique, i can see things you can't see, i'm smarter, so i don't need to feel persecuted. i'm better than you." i don't know if that makes much sense either. and yes, i'm only talking about nfs who feel this way and who are unhealthy about it. most of the nfs i know though aren't like this. i've seen like maybe four or five on this site altogether. the rest of the typist comments just come from ignorance, not superiority.
It makes perfect sense and that played a part as well.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
NT response: I've always thought I was superior to just about everybody in the world. Of course I didn't go spreading it around, but it's clear that all iNtuitives feel different from the majority of those around them, obvious forcing them to differentiate themselves from others. We know that we are different, and better than most at coming up with ideas, whether they are directed at morality or improving things. We see these things are more essential, and we automatically find ourselves seemingly more important than others.

It's nothing the truth can't fix, but it's obvious that iNtuitives are natually able to grasp more complex ideas, and work with them. I will not insult Sensors by lying to them, as though they cannot handle it. Just as I have a hard time paying attention to anything not in my inner world, Sensors have a hard time paying attention to what is not in their external world, which holds true regardless of the functions.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
I don't think NF's are superior, because I've witnessed in person how screwed up some intuitives' sensoring abilities can be. For crying out loud, somebody has to relate to the actual world we are living in and it's obviously not going to be us. That said, I do love the NF temperament.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Are you an NF who initially believed your 'N-ness' and natural benevolence/altruism basically made you superior whether you realized this inclination at first or not but who have spent more time and effort looking at the facts and come to realize this isn't true?
Well, not the N-ness part of it, no. I don't believe myself superior to Sensors, ever. Like Paradox mentioned, Ns do have a habit of feeling fundamentally different from Ss, thus leading to issues with superiority. I never had any of that, the reason probably being that I already was different by my appearance alone (being handicapped). Though I felt smarter than 90% of my peers, I didn't (and still don't) connect that to my intuitiveness. I don't feel superior because of my intelligence, simply frustrated that I had to wait while everyone else was trying to understand.

As for feeling like my benevolence made me superior... well, yeah. Honestly, yeah. I still do. In a way, I don't feel like I need to justify this because it seems obvious (to me) that if everyone was kinder to each other, strangers and family alike, the world would be a better place.

·
Registered
249 Posts
im proud to be NF, but i dnt think im superior compared to others but i do believe that i have strengths and better at some things than other just as i have weaknesses and crap at things compared to others. Im glad there are different personality types, otherwise the world would be so boring.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
I don't attribute every little nuance of human nature to typology, and think many manifestations of specific functions readily attributed to "feeling types", "sensing types" or what have you, could more accurately be explained by other things, like- the situation, actual pragmatic brain functioning, pms, mental health, life experiences, temperament, IQ, EQ, satisfaction with life, culture etc.

I don't know how or why people isolate one specific function, or element of a type and say "look! that is the only cause of this trend or external manifestation". When it could, and is most likely, the result of many related or non related factors.

I personally don't see types/functions as being polarised. They are interrelated. I see there to be no need to elevate/lower types on a hierarchy of worth, when every type is dependent on functions of other types for their inherent definitions.

·
Registered
378 Posts
but it's obvious that iNtuitives are natually able to grasp more complex ideas, and work with them.
Unfortunately this is the exact subversive mentality that permeates almost anything related to type. Type has nothing to do with the complexity of ideas that one can work with. That is with the individual. Type shows what the focus will be, whether abstract or concrete. Abstract =/= complex.

Just as I have a hard time paying attention to anything not in my inner world, Sensors have a hard time paying attention to what is not in their external world, which holds true regardless of the functions.
This is not related to the N/S dichotomy either. This is a difference between being an Introvert or an Extrovert. Sensors who are introverted live in their own inner world too.

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
Believing your type is superior above others (based on various functions) overall is a one-track thought process, not deep, bro. It shows a huge lack of understanding and heaping pile of ignorance. Whew-wee, that's a stinkin' pile right thar.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I don't see myself as superior at all. Quite the opposite. There's so much that I dislike about myself, and I can't help but seriously envy almost everyone else.

I hate how I get jealous of others' innate attributes, but I use my self-loathing constructively and try to improve myself and surpass others.

Not there yet. lol (If I ever will be.)

/drunken emo rant

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
I don't feel superior, on the whole I feel comparatively weak. I don't live in the moment, I barley live in the real world, I don't have as much fun, the world lacks enjoyment, I enjoy things that rant catered for in western society. Im fragile Im touchy I have high ideals that are constantly let down. Im not spontaneous enough, I don't do very much. I miss out because I don't take risks, because I don't understand the nature of risk I lack experience or the physicality of the world. I don't connect as well on that in the moment essence. Im always misunderstood and laughed at.

I feel my strength in understanding motives and emotion and self actualisation. I get frustrated that sensors cant do it so well, I feel better than them at it. The other types including the NT's are more suited to the world NF's live in a world of shattered dreams and broken expections. I don't feel this all the time Iv been NF all my life Iv come to realise this through observation. The SP and the SJ just slip right in are understood, understand the world and just live. I take in everything and it all effects my feelings.

I think do feel a litlle offended by sensors who say they think NF are ignorant for feeling superior. It a coping mechanism for being misunderstood and having all your ideals and dreams constantly shattered by the real world.
Same for NT's I very much doubt deep down they do, but a life time of not fitting and more so for the NT realising you think so differently you need to cope. It dent justify any NF or NT type belittling and S but then sometimes S types can be A holes. Those people are not about MBTi type more about being A holes.

My thoughts are when you see those comments don't feel bad take them for what they are a defence and stop thinking that N types are ignorant. When you see a era shitty repeat offender just remember its because they are a shit person and not because they are N type so don't be typist back and think "aww another high horse N"

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
I have never experienced NF's feeling superior. :/
I've had one NF friend practically do it to my face (through IM). She was putting down my type and saying how she was a harder worker than myself. Of course I didn't brush it off. I don't expect her to try that shit again.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Haha this is a silly thread XD

No type is better or more superior than another. Any type could argue why they are better than other types.

For instance I could argue that ISFPs are the superior type. We have the "uniqueness" that you described above. We are very independent. We care deeply about others, the environment, and animals. We understand that things change and not only do we accept it we welcome it. We are spontaneous and try to live and experience life to the fullest. We strive to be happy and make others happy. I search for self-actualization and have a need to understand myself (not sure about other ISFPs...) We have a deep set a values that we may act upon when deemed necessary. (You could probably assume that many of the movements of the past like womens rights and such had a large amount of ISFPs, plus they say that the flower children of the 60s were probably mostly ISFP.) We are "doers" and are called "the artists." (which clearly makes us more awesome. lol jk)

I could keep going but you get the point. Any type could argue how they are better than the other types but in the end no type is better.

So take that NFs :p lol jk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts