Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been writing a book on how personality plays a role in health habits and behaviors. In each chapter, I discuss the strengths and weaknesses of each temperament. I want to be sure my assumptions resonate with people of that personality type. These "pitfalls" can play out in your regular life too, not just in your behaviors surrounding diet and exercise. Please let me know how on target I am, or if I've completely missed the mark!

NF Trouble Spots

1. Emotional Eating Equating food with comfort. Using food to fill emotional needs.

2. Being Too Hard on Themselves NFs have a heightened sensitivity to the appraisal of others and set high standards for themselves. Don't like to disappoint others and can berate themselves or feel not "good enough" if they feel like they don't measure up.

3. Putting Their Own Needs Aside Getting so caught up in caring for others that you put your own needs aside.

4. Trouble Saying "No" People pleasers. Hard time saying no to other people's requests. Like turning down that second helping your grandma forces on you!

If these don't apply, please add what you struggle with when it comes to forming healthy habits, or why you resist changing. Thanks for the help! :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yeah I think you've got it spot-on. I think these are definitely the trends for Fe users in particular, although for me I spent a lot of time being out-of-touch with my Fe (ie looping) until recently. So here are my experiences:

1) yes definitely
2) no. It used to be a huge issue when I was a kid trying to please my parents, but I learnt that I simply couldn't please them so I went the other rebellious extreme
3) not really. But I have been doing so more and more, the more I get in touch with my feelings
4) yes. This again are two extremes for me. I tend to either give a cold and calculated 'no' which is always taken as hostility by others. Otherwise I avoid saying no altogether. (ie I can't say 'no' gracefully)

9,999 Posts
Sounds more INFJ (and a leettle bit INFP) than NF, I doubt les extrovert NFs would agree much.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds more INFJ (and a leettle bit INFP) than NF, I doubt les extrovert NFs would agree much.
I think that's the problem with trying to group this by temperament, there's a lot of variability among the types, but there's no way I was going to write 16 chapters! So while I don't expect all the NFs to completely agree with every statement, I want to see if they relate with most of the statements, at least to some extent.

·
SAY MY NAME
INTJ
8,475 Posts
1. No, not at all. I prefer other sensual experiences to cheer me up, namely, driving really fast. Eating food doesn't really register. What's important for me is total immersion in the sensual activity, so that I forget about what was on my mind and what was making me feel bad; plus, the surge of endorphins from partaking in something I find to be extremely pleasurable no doubt is of some substantial assistance in lightening my mood. Eating is not suitable, it leaves too much space for contemplation and dwelling on negative thoughts. Punching 120 in a 60 zone, however, you need to have your wits about you or it's not going to end well. There's no time to think about shit. Total immersion!

2. Occasionally. I've gotten better at this the older I get. In my teens I was strongly self-loathing. These days if anything my fault lies in the opposite direction, a touch of narcissism and arrogance. But hey, like Cristiano Ronaldo, if you're that good, then you have earned the right to be a little arrogant. It's self-confidence, not arrogance, if you can walk the walk after talking the talk!

3. Yes, absolutely.

4. Yes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
1. Yes, this goes both ways for me. When I am stressed, angry, etc. I tend to eat and drink way too much. When I am especially depressed or just feeling confused and lonely, I can find it very difficult to eat. I once lost about 20 pounds (which brought me into an very unhealthy weight) after a very difficult break-up because I ended up having to use the "door slam," which is something I hate having to do.

2. Yes, yes, yes.

3. Not all the time, but often; I've been working on prioritizing myself and my emotional health more these days than I ever used to. But if I feel that I am needed, I will deprive myself of anything to help another, including sleep, food, money, etc.

4. YES. I sometimes spread myself much too thin by agreeing to do anything, especially if I think it will benefit a group of people or cause that I care about.

9,999 Posts
For my part, I would say...

1. Yes
2.-4. No

I'm probably some flavour of INFJ.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
1. Occasionally
2. Yes
3. Hell no. I always try to keep a balance between my needs and everyone else's needs, compromise is extremely important. But I never prioritize others over myself.
4. Yes

·
Registered
664 Posts
INFP. I only have an issue with the first one. I probably have some sort of binge-purge EDNOS that I've been in and out of ED clinics for. Maybe a little bit with 4. but no is very much part of my vocabulary, or I just ignore the request sometimes. I'm a bit too egotistical for 2-3 to be an issue for me. 2. I'm probably harder on other people than I am on myself, and 3. I'm naturally a lot more focused on me but I think I really have to be with my mental health I can't be running off and helping other people all the time. I like helping people but you must put your own oxygen mask on first before assisting others.

What I struggle with making healthy habits? Probably the bane of my existence is my procrastination. That has royally screwed up my life.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
1. Not really. I'm not too attuned with my body; if anything, I don't eat enough. The people I've noticed that eat the most are SPs, not NFs.
2. YES. This is a terrible problem of mine. I'm very perfectionistic/idealistic.
3. No, I make a point to take care of myself.
4. Yes, I don't like disappointing people, even if it's in my best interest.

·
Registered
531 Posts
1. No not really. I tend to get very obsessive about other things when I'm struggling with emotions.

2. Yes, very much so. This is probably one of the two most major themes of my life (the other being the struggle to accept loss and change).

3. Yes, this too, but I recognize this as a personal weak spot and these days I make a conscious effort to moderate this.

4. Yes, see above.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I must have just gone through an extremely emotionally draining moment to emotionally eat. Probably I just finished crying my eyes or something. Then, to the pantry!! In those moments my life depends on trader joes caramel popcorn, ice cream and chocolate cake

I could write a book about the second one 😒 Feeling inadequate to fulfill others' needs, or to be someone they enjoy being around is I believe, one of my preset moods of the day. Could be my personal issues at the same time tho. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Self esteem issues and what not.

For the third one, I USED to do that a lot, but then realized how much it damages me. So I started cutting back a bit, and I feel healthier and more capable to control my life

As for the fourth one, I ALWAYS have trouble saying no, and when I do have to say it, because I'm at my ABSOLUTE limit, then I regret it and feel like a horrible person for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
INFJ
1,555 Posts
I've been writing a book on how personality plays a role in health habits and behaviors. In each chapter, I discuss the strengths and weaknesses of each temperament. I want to be sure my assumptions resonate with people of that personality type. These "pitfalls" can play out in your regular life too, not just in your behaviors surrounding diet and exercise. Please let me know how on target I am, or if I've completely missed the mark!

NF Trouble Spots

1. Emotional Eating Equating food with comfort. Using food to fill emotional needs.

2. Being Too Hard on Themselves NFs have a heightened sensitivity to the appraisal of others and set high standards for themselves. Don't like to disappoint others and can berate themselves or feel not "good enough" if they feel like they don't measure up.

3. Putting Their Own Needs Aside Getting so caught up in caring for others that you put your own needs aside.

4. Trouble Saying "No" People pleasers. Hard time saying no to other people's requests. Like turning down that second helping your grandma forces on you!

If these don't apply, please add what you struggle with when it comes to forming healthy habits, or why you resist changing. Thanks for the help! :)

I would say yes for all of them, particularly number 2.

·
Banned
326 Posts
1. Yes. This is especially true with caffeine items like coffee & chocolate. I've also been known to gobble up strawberries (at least they are healthy/good for you?)

2. Absolutely yes. This leads me to self destruction.

3. Also leads me to self destruction. I do this TOO MUCH.

4. I have so many problems with telling people No, even when I really should. It leads me to hell usually.

I'm currently in therapy and working on myself in order to learn how to discern when I should say "no" and put myself first. Basically becoming less of a people pleaser and more assertive (this takes a lot of work for an NF, I think!)

·
Registered
696 Posts
1. No. I only experience this about 3 days out of the month when my body wants to salt load, cheap energy, and I'm generally pissed off at the world... for reasons.

Other than that, I forget to eat pretty often, and when I do its merely sustenance.

2. Hmm, I'm harder on myself than a lot of people, but I'm hard on myself for not being as hard on myself as SOME people. So, I'm hard on myself for not being hard enough on myself? ehh...
I'm not really concerned about other peoples opinions of me unless they have higher personal standards than I do.
Scrutinize anything but my strength of will.

3. It has happened, yes.

4. No. And no means no.

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ ♂
18,722 Posts
@wanderingfox

I'm an NT and I do #1. I don't handle emotions well. As for the rest:

2. Sometimes

3. Rare, but it happens

4. Nah, I can drop the hammer pretty easily

·
Registered
696 Posts
INFP. I only have an issue with the first one. I probably have some sort of binge-purge EDNOS that I've been in and out of ED clinics for. Maybe a little bit with 4. but no is very much part of my vocabulary, or I just ignore the request sometimes. I'm a bit too egotistical for 2-3 to be an issue for me. 2. I'm probably harder on other people than I am on myself, and 3. I'm naturally a lot more focused on me but I think I really have to be with my mental health I can't be running off and helping other people all the time. I like helping people but you must put your own oxygen mask on first before assisting others.

What I struggle with making healthy habits? Probably the bane of my existence is my procrastination. That has royally screwed up my life.

dat INFP format... lol

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
NF Trouble Spots

not at all

yes definitely

ehh, maybe at times. but not overall. i do what i can for people, if someone else's needs are getting too hard to deal with, i usually just duck out and say "sorry, i've already done XYZ for you and this is too much."

I don't have trouble saying no the first time, but i do the second time (if someone is pressing something on me).

Ok, other things that prevent from forming healthy habits:

1) perfectionism that actually paralyzes me and prevents me from doing something

2) not being able to do something unless i feel like it

3) over-interpreting social situations to the point of paralysis

4) identity-obsession and just... yeah

1 - 20 of 61 Posts