Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a simple question, right? Do you excel at working with your hands? Or are you a hopeless klutz? Or something in between? Would you define yourself this way? I know it's a little hard to define, but if we get some data I'll be better able to define what "handy" means. >_>

As far as I go, I can spin things and do things like hold a knife and use nunchucks, but say I'm next to worthless when it comes to even the most mundane/easy tasks like hammering a nail or scooping food out of a big pot.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Guitar teacher, so yeah...I do enjoy things manual. I like jigsaw puzzles and if it's easy enough, can put together furniture from Ikea. My patience can run low if things get too complicated with putting things together, though.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm the kind of person that can play her guitar for three hours, draw out some ideas with excellent precision, and then drop her coffee while standing still. :)

Reactions: Danse Macabre

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
My hands suck as far as doing skillful things like playing instruments, throwing or doing anything quickly like typing.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I'm more klutzy with my whole body - walking into things & stuff like that.

I would say I am about average with my hands. I like doing hands-on work, and if I can grasp it as a concept, then I can become pretty good at it. I don't learn well by simply mimicking mechanical movement though - I need to understand it mentally. My grandma was showing me a sewing stitch and it was important that she explain WHY it was done that way, because just watching her do it was nothing that I'd retain. I've seen people just be able to copy something from watching it, and I marvel at that - I have to know WHY to grasp HOW.

I also like to draw and have always created visual art, so I definitely have some hands-on skill in that regard. I'm also pretty creative in fixing things, but I think a lot of that is not being afraid to try & explore.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yeah I do, I consider my hands very capable, my favorite part of myself. Capable with the bigger, mundane things like you listed but also & more so in the smaller stuff, like making jewelry & other minutely detailed things. I used to play with clay & make miniature items for Barbies, like tea sets or specific foods (corn & chocolate chip cookies!). That's a good example I think. I play the piano. My hands are strong, flexible, precise.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I used to play with clay & make miniature items for Barbies, like tea sets or specific foods (corn & chocolate cookies!).
Oooh, that reminds me....I taught myself to sew making tiny clothes for my Barbies out of scraps of my old clothes I'd outgrown. Barbies are so inspiring! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Oooh, that reminds me....I taught myself to sew making tiny clothes for my Barbies out of scraps of my old clothes I'd outgrown. Barbies are so inspiring! :tongue:
I got into fashion after I "outgrew" Barbie (I didn't really, I still dream of her aisle at Toys R Us! haha) & have been wanting to do the same for the longest time now! I should just do it. Barbie is forever!

·
Banned
780 Posts
I love working with my hands and am good at it...I just do things my way. Growing up, I have always built forts, motorcycles, cars, anything....it all came together...just took a chaotic path to get there.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I'm a klutz. I trip over my own feet. In school if we had to build something, I'd always get awful marks even though I'd spent hours on my assignment trying to make it look neat because IT'S IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME ARGH! XD

At work I had to open a tin of pineapple. I managed to mangle the tin and splash pineapple juice in my face. The other day at the shops, I was talking to my friend and said "I had an epiphany yesterday... I think I'm a klutz" and she went "No you're not!"
5 minutes later I tripped over a store display. xD
My hand writing is horrible too.

However I'm really really good at playing musical instruments. I have tiny hands but I can make accurate leaps and get complex timing perfect. So it's all ok :laughing:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm a true klutch and i'm pretty hopeless. I have to learn a technique, i absolutely can't learn practical things without some help. I lack common sense...practical stuff doesn't come easy to me. I always try some stupid techniques. Well. I hope i'll be able to learn to play the guitar. It interests me. You know, hands-on work doesn't really...ehm...seem so fun to me.

To sum it up: My ENFP dad said to me once when i tried to change the blanket on my bed (ok it looked pretty funny, i have to admit that) that he could start a big business recording videos of "The INFP doing practical work". :( :(

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
It's a simple question, right? Do you excel at working with your hands? Or are you a hopeless klutz? Or something in between? Would you define yourself this way? I know it's a little hard to define, but if we get some data I'll be better able to define what "handy" means. >_>

As far as I go, I can spin things and do things like hold a knife and use nunchucks, but say I'm next to worthless when it comes to even the most mundane/easy tasks like hammering a nail or scooping food out of a big pot.
I'm a big big klutz. When I was a child I was very klutz.
Anyway, I love working with my hands and doing artistical things at times. Like customizing dolls to make them look like famous stars. I made one of my Bratz a copy of Amy Winehouse. Believe me, it was very nice. I have to fix her...

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I work very well with my hands, we have an excellent working relationship, I've never heard a complaint, not even once

Wow, I wish mine were that co-operative! Mine are really moody and never do what I ask them to do. I guess it's cause they're 17.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts