Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to see if there is any common themes among the diet and exercise habits of different temperaments, as has been previously proposed in the books The 8 Colors of Fitness and Your Diet Type. So I'd like to hear from you NF's and see if there's any merit to it! What are your diet and exercise habits? Feel free to answer any/all of these questions or add in your own two cents!

Exercise
Describe a typical week of exercise.
Where do you exercise?
Do you exercise alone or with others?
What motivates you to exercise? Describe benefits.
What types of exercise, interactions, or environments turn you off?

Diet
Describe your typical day-to-day diet.
What are your common pitfalls when trying to follow a diet?
Do you emotionally eat? If so, when and why?

·
Registered
INFP 9w1
788 Posts
Nothing at all, some REALLY REALLY basic muscle training or running... but mostly no exercise at all.

Where do you exercise?
Outdoor, indoor, don't care.

Alone or with people I feel comfortable enough with.

Wanting to look good and sexy. Being healthy.

Too many people... or people in general. I like it when everyone does his own thing and I have some company, but having to interact to actually do something... no way in hell! It makes me skip sports at school.

----------------------------------

Sometimes I don't give a crap and eat junk all day, sometimes I eat extremely healthy... but at the moment it's balanced. Usually something like Porridge for breakfast... water and banana at school... sandwiches or toast back home... maybe some rice with vegetables or some nice pasta later... or more sandwiches. Sometimes some fruit. And every now and then fast food. On the weekend I usually cook something nice.

Being in a bad mood and laziness mostly. Sometimes I just miss the taste of junk food though.

Not too often. Happens very rarely.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I work out 3 times a week with a personal trainer doing mostly weights and no cardio. What motivates me is being healthy, trying to beat the clock due to aging and wanting to look fabulous! :p I work out at my gym at the apartment complex where I work and my personal trainer is a resident that I rented an apartment to (he better never move! lol) The benefits are amazing! I have completely reshaped my body. I look and feel great!

As far as my diet, I just try to eat non-processed foods. I can't really count calories bc I eat A LOT and I am always hungry!!! I am definitely an emotional non-eater. Sometimes I wish I had a broken heart so I wouldn't eat so much! lol jk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel like rather than specific health habits, the general attitude towards weight might be more similar among types. Or rather, how we cope with life and how that affects our eating and exercise behaviors. I'd like to see if there is any relation to this so it would be wonderful if those interested could take this survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CD73GJR

Unfortunately it does not show the results and how you compare to other test takers, but I'd be happy to share any correlations I find!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I feel like rather than specific health habits, the general attitude towards weight might be more similar among types. Or rather, how we cope with life and how that affects our eating and exercise behaviors. I'd like to see if there is any relation to this so it would be wonderful if those interested could take this survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CD73GJR

Unfortunately it does not show the results and how you compare to other test takers, but I'd be happy to share any correlations I find!
I took the quiz. :)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Run on a treadmill for 30 minutes a day 5 days a week. 5 sets of chin-ups, push-ups, and sit-ups 3 days a week. I don't like squats, but I want to work out my lower body more, so I think I'm going to replace my last treadmill day with a stairclimbing machine.

Where do you exercise?
At a gym, and at home. Sometimes outside, but rarely.

Alone.

I want to look better, be healthy, and I also like to see how far I can push myself.

Team sports.

Whatever I feel like really. I'm trying to limit myself to a high protein high potassium low calorie diet, but I haven't broken my junk food addiction yet.

I love food too much. I'm too impulsive, and have too little self control.

Not really.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Exercise
I try to exercise on on Tuesday and Thursday nights.
I typically exercise outside because I'm not really in shape I'm kind of intimidated by people in gyms.
With others.
Large amounts of stress from school of life, and the fact that I eat massive amounts of junk food.
The kind of exercise that turns me off are usually repetitive. I'll do conditioning with my team because we are constantly changing it up, but I wouldn't just lift weights. As I mentioned I don't like gyms in general because they intimidate me, but I don't mind attending classes in one. Team sports are okay to a point; as long as everyone is encouraging and helpful. I hated Phys Ed. in school because you could miss a ball or something and everyone would act like you've ruined their life.

Diet
Before school started I was on a diet where if I read the ingredients on my food and didn't recognize the ingredients then I wouldn't eat them. That gave me more energy, I was in a better mood, and I wasn't eating a bunch of filler. Unfortunately I'm broke at the moment because I'm a student, so to stretch my money I buy what is cheep... which is junk food. I try to eat lunch or dinner in my universities cafeteria and I usually get Pizza, whatever they've made for the day, or soup.
My common pitfalls for dieting: Healthier food is expensive or I am in a situation where I can't get what my diet involves like traveling.
I do emotionally eat when I am experiencing high levels of stress or anxiety (alone not together) and I'm at a point where I can't really do anything. Sometimes I have gum which helps to hold off my desire to eat.
I have had times when I was doing the exact opposite. When I was under a lot of stress coupled with anxiety I was not able to eat, but I was constantly doing something. I often also find myself unable to eat when I am depressed.

·
Banned
1,249 Posts
I imagine that enneagram has more to do with it than type. Except for inferior Se, I guess.

Where do you exercise?

I haven't done anything consistently for a while. I have a pull-up bar and I do those periodically throughout the day along with push-ups.

However, I have started a bodyweight program due to accessibility. I plan to keep it up. I like lifting but had to selly bench.

What motivates you to exercise?

By myself. Slobs are gross and unattractive. And functional strength makes sense.

I've never liked gyms. I'll go if the my option but I'd prefer a buddies garage first.

I typically wake up and realize I forgot to prepare lunch. And I think to myself, eh, I'll hold out until dinner. Then I'll cave over lunch and grab Chinese or fast food. I order and do a lot of oven pizzas.

When I go on a health stint, it's a lot of bro foods: chicken, eggs, salad.

Laziness and lack of preparation. I've been too impatient to learn how to cook, so my food gets bland. So I tend to cop-out and grab a pizza. I'm working on that.

Probably. I'm a former fat kid, and a full belly spells comfort. Like a hug from the inside.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Exercise
I don't exercise purely for the sake of it, but just walking from class a lot probably burns quite a few calories, along with how I rarely take the elevator (and I live on the sixth floor). I also walk about a mile to the store and back, which is good as well. And I like to dance.
Diet
My diet is probably healthier than the average American's, but still not, you know, purely healthy. I'm a carb freak; my favorite foods are starchy vegetables (potatoes and corn), pasta, and anything sugary. I know that's bad for my blood sugar, but that's just what I crave. I only usually eat meat once a day, sometimes less -- and it's nine times out of ten chicken. I've tried being vegetarian before but I found that being a flexatarian is better for me anyway; even I of low muscle mass need protein sometimes.

I don't eat very much at all. Due to my small weight, I probably only consume 1500 calories a day and I have a very high metabolism because both of my parents are thin as well. I do, however, get very strong chocolate cravings and whatnot around "that time of the month" (my period, duh), which is my biggest diet pitfall. Once I crave something, I must eat it. But overall I know that I consume more fruits and vegetables than the average person, which is good, but I still don't get the recommended five servings a day.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Exercise

6km power walk for my commute home 3-5 times a week. It's about an hour and involves a 65m increase in elevation.I also may, or may not attend combat practice for two hours on the weekend.

Where do you exercise?
Outside

Mostly alone.

It's an effective way to leave the work BS at work. I also like the scenery - and the "scenery".

Not a fan of deads; it feels like I'm ripping my back a part, especially when I do them properly.

Diet

On weekdays, breakfast and lunch are often canned liquid meals and a granola bar, two more bars for snacks, then something with rice, meat, veggies for supper. Weekends tend to see me only eat two actual meals and a snack; ramen, mac&cheese, or pizza sometimes finds its way into there. I like to take one weekday where I grab breakfast at a particular buffet I like, then have sushi for lunch.

My diet is what I eat, but it's not much to follow. Candy features often enough; but even that just happens to be part of what I eat. I deny myself nothing I can afford.

Sure, when my blood sugar is low enough to have me looking at co-workers as my next meal.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I run 3-5 times a week for 20-30 minutes. Usually the same outdoor route, but with slight variations. I currently do core excercises once a week; combination of planking, crunches, other stuff.

Where do you exercise?
Outdoors for running; mostly on a greenway (paved trail in wooded area) indoor for core.

Always alone.

Being healthy; feeling good. My weight remains pretty stable so there's not really an aesthetic motivation to run.

I don't like running in the rain. I am somewhat interested in running with others but I'm afraid that I will have trouble finding someone that will go approximately my pace/distance. I also am terrified of weight exercises such as dead lifts and squats. I'm always paranoid watching others that they're going to get injured. (I know it can be done safely, but it just never looks "safe" to me.) Because of that, I don't like gyms because of the whole "do you even lift, bro?" factor. No, I don't. I'm a pansy I guess :/

Almost always a bowl of cereal with milk and coffee to start my day...Usually a somewhat sugary cereal like Honey Nut Cheerios but sometimes a non-sugary cereal. Lunch is usually a sandwich or leftovers. Dinner is almost always meat (usually chicken or steak), with a vegetable side (salad, fresh veggies; rarely cooked veggies) and some kind of carb side like bread or noodles.

Too much meat; occasionally too much caffeine if I have soda and coffee on the same day. I like beer with dinner usually.

Not really...I do find myself responding to cravings, but I don't think there's a correlation to my emotions. I'll sometimes have a post-dinner drink if I want to "wind down". That's as close to emotional eating as I get.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It really depends. When I have a yoga membership (which are expensive) it motivates me to go more often, 2-3 days a week. Occasionally the gym and more often then not lots of walking. I really enjoy walking trails or hiking.

Where do you exercise?

Indoors and outdoors. I love being outdoors in nature working out/biking etc.

Both. At the gym alone, Yoga with other people. Outdoors usually with a companion.

Being healthy and feeling better. I dislike feeling sluggish and working out give me energy and reduces anxiousness.

Too many people in a crowded gym is a turn off for sure. Hot yoga, I HATE over heated sweaty rooms, yuck.

As healthy as possible, no processed foods. limit sugar intake. High Protein diet. Organic when possible. Try to limit by grain and dairy intake but I don't restrict completely.

cravings and the mental feeling of whether or not you should eat something can lead you to overthink about what you consume, it can drive some people nuts. (luckily this is not an issue for me, but it can be for a lot of people)

Not particularly, when I am feeling down I tend to have no appetite not overeat. I may crave desert more often when I am stressed, like treating myself for having to put up with a bunch of BS that day or something lol.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Describe a typical week of exercise. I excercise inconsistently, but frequently. I tend to do 20 min sessions of strength training at home and then 20 of yoga+pilates. Another evening, I may walk fast for about 50 min and then run stairs for 10. I dont have specific days or regular plans though. It is usually spontaneous. I am a night person, and so it is always in the evening.
Where do you exercise? -
home, a local park, and I might drop in at a yoga studio or community dance class now and then
Do you exercise alone or with others? - In a group class because I find instructors helpful, but otherwise I like to do workouts alone. I do not get involved with people though...like, I dont befriend women from a class.
What motivates you to exercise? Describe benefits. - It helps me with my mood and energy, which tend to be low. I am thin, but not weak or flabby, and I see quick benefits to strength-training and stretching. People are always surprised at how strong and flexible I can be, mainly because I do not express interest in athletics.
I don't like environments where people yell at you and there is any sense of competition. I tend to like yoga or dance/spin classes, etc, because there is a feminine energy there. I either like to focus (ie on breathing or holding a pose) or to space out (daydreaming while fast-walking to music). I like music and rhythm to keep me engaged, and I often create stories in my head while I work out (often do this with strength training).

Diet
Describe your typical day-to-day diet. I eat very little throughout the day, which is a problem in itself. I dont eat breakfast, but just have coffee. For lunch, I might have hummus and veggies, yogurt or a small sandwich - something light with a little protein to keep me from feeling sick. I snack on fruit, nuts and cheese. I keep it very simple in the day. At night, I eat what my family makes and that is also when I seek something sweet. When I live alone, I try and eat fruit and chocolate and avoid pastries so much - But my sister likes to bake giant cakes and cookies. I dont like packaged sweets much, so I avoid those better. The only thing I avoid are preservatives and really processed junk food, and I am in no way strict about it. I find it better to seek what is good than focus in avoiding bad, and then there simply is no room for the bad.

What are your common pitfalls when trying to follow a diet? I dont try to follow a diet. But my pitfalls are way too much caffeine, probably too much alcohol, too much red meat, and too much sweets. Pretty typical. The difference between me and many others is how little I eat. Eating too little may be a bigger pitfall. I forget to eat, have way too much caffeine, feel jittery and fatigued, etc. I like food when I can really relax and enjoy it, but everyday meals feel like a chore and I can put them off. I am a grazer or snacker for this reason too, and as long as I keep good choices on hand, then I actually eat better that way.

If I am severely disappointed, then I may eat as consolation, but instead of a LOT, it is just rich, expensive food and alcohol. For example, I might buy lobster and a decent wine if I am depressed, but I won't gourge on junk. I am more likely to get tipsy than eat too much. I have a strong aversion to over-eating because I dislike a very full sensation. I am very good at eating small quantities, even when I cave to junk food.

edit - in person, I loathe these kinds of topics for conversation (it really annoys me to discuss health/body stuff), so now I am laughing at my super long answer here.

9,999 Posts
I'm curious to see if there is any common themes among the diet and exercise habits of different temperaments, as has been previously proposed in the books The 8 Colors of Fitness and Your Diet Type. So I'd like to hear from you NF's and see if there's any merit to it! What are your diet and exercise habits? Feel free to answer any/all of these questions or add in your own two cents!
None. I find it sad that my body needs exercise.

Nah. Not particularly good. I do usually drink 2-4 liters of green smoothie / day, but the rest isn't anything I'm particularly proud of. I know what I should eat, but...

Sugar when depressed / stressed out. I've never tried coffee, alcohol, tobacco or drugs, and I don't really care for junk food; sugar has always been my sole vice, but a pretty massive one.

Yes. Stress.

I'd happily be a brain in a vat. Bodies are so impractical.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I don't exercise ever because I'm too disorganised/slapdash to start a routine or keep up a habit. I like to keep my free time free rather than make commitments (except for social plans), so what I do in it tends to be pretty random and spontaneous. I've tried doing various types of exercise a few times, and usually what happens is say "That was fun! I'll keep it up!" and then totally forget about it when I get distracted by something else.

I eat very healthily, mainly because I like healthy food and naturally gravitate towards it. Meat, fish, vegetables, potatoes, rice, whatever. I've never gone on a diet in my life. I never count calories or worry about food. I eat when I'm hungry and sometimes when I'm bored, and often because other people around me are eating. I tend to just eat what I feel like eating at that moment. I don't eat at regular times or plan meals in advance - again, the spontaneity thing - and I tend to guess at quantities and timings based on what looks right, rather than use a timer/scales or follow a recipe. It seems to work out well for me.

·
Banned
3,802 Posts

I usually try to work out at the gym 4 days out of the week. I usually do one day for chest + triceps, one day for biceps + back muscles, 1 day for legs, and 1 day for sort of a body/core/misc. workout day. On my non work out days I try to make sure that I get about 30 minutes or more of walking in.

Where do you exercise?

There's a gym that I stop off at on the way home from work. It's nothing fancy, but it's cheap and relatively uncrowded which is nice.

I always exercise alone.

It's actually mostly for mental health reasons, rather than physical health. I used to be a pretty fat guy, and I lost a ton of weight in the course of a year. Now I'm trying to build up some muscle if I can. Basically I'm at a point where any boost of confidence will be welcome because my self esteem is pretty awful. Also, I suffer from depression and exercise is actually a really good treatment for it.

Just the ones full of arrogant meatheads, although they don't come around my gym very often.

As soon as I wake up I down a protein shake. I might not eat breakfast for a few hours after (I have to get up early in the morning for work), which is usually bacon and eggs or oatmeal. Lunch is usually something light, like a small sandwich (with double meat), sushi, a small pita, etc. Dinner time is usually about the same as lunch, although I tend to eat more then.

Nights out with friends and whatnot where there is snacking available. It's so hard to resist.

I can't say that I do. When I'm stressed out I usually go for a beer (or several) though.

Reactions: AdroElectro

·
Registered
111 Posts
Exercise

Describe a typical week of exercise: I don't do anything structured. But I like walking a lot at the moment. I used to like to ride my bike around and do yoga, but I haven't been doing that. I want to start running, maybe...

Where do you exercise?
Out in the streets... my room... a gym.

Do you exercise alone or with others? Alone. Sometimes, with others.

What motivates you to exercise? Describe benefits. It clears my head. Keeps me from going crazy.

What types of exercise, interactions, or environments turn you off? Crossfit. Ew!!

Diet:
Describe your typical day-to-day diet: I've been doing the vegan thing for a year and it's awesome!!!

What are your common pitfalls when trying to follow a diet? Ummm well I like to eat out a lot, and I kind of hate cooking. Maybe it's a bad thing, but I try to make healthy choices. Like smoothies are healthy, but when you go and get them somewhere, you're technically "eating out". But damn, it's expensive.

Do you emotionally eat? If so, when and why? I used to go through long periods without eating because of business, or scheduling, or maybe not eat enough one day... then comes a day where I realize I'm starving and I just want to eat a lot. I trust my body and I don't like to call this emotional eating, cause there's no emotions attached to biological needs. (I don't see anyone emotionally peeing).

·
Registered
557 Posts
Heh... Exercise. I try to walk between places whenever I can because I read somewhere that brisk walking is good for you. I like to swim too, but that's often impractical because I have better stuff to do with my life than make time to go to the swimming pool and actually do laps in it. I used to do soccer, too, before my parents decided it was impractical to take me across town every weekend. :-|

Where do you exercise?
Walks in the park by myself or with a close friend are nice. Swimming in isolated creeks in the middle of nowhere is also nice. But I don't know if that counts as exercise or healthy recreation. :-/

Team sports are good fun. Otherwise I prefer to be alone or with someone on a 1-1, maybe 1-2 basis.

The fun of it. Sometimes I feel I should exercise more because I am slightly larger than most girls in my grade seem to be, but it's not like I'm overweight or anything. I honestly can't bring myself to exercise for the sake of it. I feel too unmotivated to finish what I was going to do.

I hate doing HPE in school because it's like "Let's do exercise for no reason at all!" Team sports are heaps of fun with a class, but doing set reps is soooo boring. :frustrating: Makes me want to kill myself.

I'm really allergic to milk, so that eliminates basically everything processed/junk food in general. I can eat original flavoured chips, soy icecream, and... carrot sticks? :-/ It sucks, but it means that it's a lot harder for me to put on weight.

Typically, I usually eat WeetBix for breakfast with a cup of juice, and have a peanut butter sandwich for lunch. I don't know why, it's just what I do. ^_^ I snack on fruit and vegies whenever I'm feeling hungry, and dinner is usually standard half-vegies, quarter-meat, quarter-starch. My diet's quite boring, come to think of it. :-|

Never tried to follow a diet. I imagine my greatest pitfall would be lack of enthusiasm though. Life's too short to go on a diet. If everyone were educated on healthy habits of life from the start there would be a lot less people needing to go on a diet. <insert NF humanitarian rant here>

Nope. When I'm in a bout of depression I'm more likely to have to force food down then to get into the habit of overeating. However, if I'm about to cry in front of a lot of people, I've found that shoving down as much icecream as possible is a good strategy to prevent it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts